Checking for updates? No, we're way past that

If you are on PC and really stuck with no other options (note: on the edge of deleting & reinstalling msfs) then try:

Going to: Packages- Official- One Store

And deleting ALL of the most recent files (normally todays date but not always) then restarting msfs

I don’t normally advocate deleting files but I’ve had to do this a couple of times and had no adverse side effects and it’s always sorted it

I agree that “checking for updates” and syncing clock is often a red herring in trying to fix this

I don’t understand this suggestion. I can’t see any files in the official folder that have been changed since 28/05 which is presumably when SU15 was installed.

Am on Steam rather than MS Store, but can’t see why that would make any difference.

This seems to be correct. Restarting the sim seems to work every time, at least for me. If you do the clock-syncing thing, you’re restarting the sim anyway.

Also remember that the amount of addon folders was what triggered the issue in the past (before first server fix). One user discovered that 1024 folders (Official + Community) was the apparent limit at that time at least. Above that limit server started to hang while managing the requests from clients with so many addons. Below that limit the loops were passed fine.

I don’t know if this is still the case now but anyway that info is in the forum, so you can try. Game with official content contains around 800 folders nowadays, just to give you an idea of where we are. But I have 2000 folders now and I don’t see any issues. Anyway in the past I could confirm that such limit was a real one and removing addons to stay below it always worked well while adding just one extra folder always triggered the error.

Cheers

1 Like

On PC, under the user name at the top you click on it, then on support. I have to keep running the repair tool. If the repair tool button is missing(and only has a support hyperlink that doesn’t really work), I have to uninstall and reinstall the XB app, XB game services, and XB Live and reinstall XB App. If you don’t search through installed apps and remove all three, then XB app will hang and won’t let you reinstall.

I have to see later if there’s some dumb manual update or something I’m missing, it just keeps doing this every several days. On my other computer, it’s just fine. On the MSFS computer I have all the typical MSFS windows speed/optimization ‘hacks’, so not sure if that’s causing it.

This all started a couple weeks ago and there’s tons of posts about hanging on checking for updates or the game load bar creeping to full and failing to launch(the game actually completely stops in that instance and task manager will show it at 0%).

Also stuck on loading screen, after having initial "license can not be checked’ error message, so I had to login in Xbox app first.
Happening a little too much to my liking, these kind of silly connection problems again and again.

My XB would do it too sometimes(MSFS only). At one point I had to re-install the offline files so I could toggle online/offline. Usually when it would hang on XBOX, I would log in and out of everything. If it were really stubborn I’d log in/out of every MS account on my computers too.

I’ll tell you what I never do and that’s reinstall the game. I don’t think that ever fixes much of anything and is a crazy waste of time. Unless you went into the files on PC and corrupted something, I have no idea how that would fix anything, unless it accidentally fixed what the real issue was in the process.

There’s definitely some gaming services/XB app bug in the system somewhere.

Had to restart three times to finally get into the sim. Annoying.

Just got it again right now. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

For those of you on PC who are still struggling, please can you try the steps in the link below to see if these help at all?

How to get past the “Checking for Updates” screen – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

I’m getting these too today…have to restart to hope to get past it.
Tried with and without VPN in various countries.

Sooooo annoying…
Please, please, please fix this before the weekend!

Edit: After the 4th try seems to load now…after spending a good 10 mins or so on the checking for updates screen

thanks, just faced that issue and this fixed on my end too, I installed recently two aircraft and were not in my addonlinker folder yet but directly in community folder, booted the sim like a charm once I removed them…
It was a good opportunity to bring them in my addon linker folder, linked them to the sim, the “update loop” didn’t show up after that

No chance currently, check for updates takes forever… get this sorted plz

Same here. Worked fine yesterday, changed nothing, now endless waiting time and nothing happens at the “Checking for updates” screen…

Same issue here, synced the time on my Windows and it launched once. The second time I tried it’s stuck on checking for updates screen again. Definitely something wrong on their side, do not uninstall the sim.

People on other forums are reporting the same problems.

Can you please escalate this? Really really hope this can be fixed for the weekend.

Edit: ok thanks

This has already been escalated for investigation. If we are able to provide any further updates we will do so!

Thanks
The MSFS Team

3 Likes

I did follow the steps listed in How to get past the “Checking for Updates” screen what got me into the sim was xbox game services repair.

I get in the sim. Eventually. But I have to look for 5-10mins on the checking for updates screen…

I can confirm this. XBOX game repair service worked for me too, it fixed the problem.

1 Like