Checking for updates? No, we're way past that

I am having the same issues with beong stuck on the checking for updates screen and i have tries all the things on the furum and not working still. Im on xbox series s, is this being investigated and will there be a solition or a fix as this is really annoying when you havent done anything or altered any settings for this to happen. Thanks

Hi, i noticed your post and wanted to know how do i find the xbox repair tool in the xbox app and how do i use it as i cant find it lol, as im having issues with being stuck on the checking for updates screen also now, thanks

After not hanging at this for weeks, working perfectly with excellent scenery —
now over an hour of useless restarts later, the program will not run.

Why did you have to ruin it again?

Program won’t load it is stuck on the checking for updates screen. Same issue as above.

Same here, stuck on “Checking for Updates”. MS Store PC version.

Same here right now, MSFS is also fully saturating my connection bandwidth while being stuck on that screen. Sounds like a general outage.

On Xbox x you can back out to the main menu then go back into the sim, it will go to the blue loading bar, and it will hang there too.

Leave it running and shut Xbox off. Restart and start the sim, it will be at the main menu with a complaint about being offline, then reconnect.

Go the world map, and IF……IF hi rez detail loads, which as we know has been not happening much lately, you might get to fly
some.

Same here hangs on update screen.
Got new pc this weekend specially for fs2020.
The last few days we had the bing outage, server/stutterproblem, and now i won’t even start anymore due to update failure. Why can’t microsoft get this working!
This is getting EXTREMELY frustrating. (And choose your language carefully, because they can’t handle it otherwise.)

Hi all,

Thanks for continuing to provide feedback regarding this issue. I can confirm I’m also occasionally getting stuck on the “Checking For Updates” screen. Every time this happens to me I simply exit the sim and go into my Windows setting and manually synchronise the clock. After doing this I load back into the simulator and don’t get stuck again. I know this may not be helpful for those of you on Xbox, and I have escalated this for further investigation.

Thanks
The MSFS Team

2 Likes

same here… was stuck, cancelled two times. Third time, now the SIM is starting. So just try it a few times before messing around with other stuff (like I did yesterday - wasting so much time, as it was a general issue).

Remember this was fixed at server side some SUs ago. That’s the real source of the problem. So don’t waste too much time here. You won’t solve it locally, just maybe mitigate it temporarily or manage to artificially bypass the update loop sometimes.

The only real way to solve this error is that another fix is applied to servers as done in the past. The update loops are mandatory and will always happen at launch, before loading main menu after lauch and before returning to main menu after a flight. They can also happen with just vanilla content alone or after fresh installs.

I just try to help here, nothing else than that. I suffered this issue for 1 year until the first server fix was applied and afterwards I just had the problem two times. Unfortunatelly approaching the problem in any other way than server side is a lost battle.

Escalation is the best way to go, as written by CM. Devs need to take another look to it and hopefully patch servers again.

Cheers

4 Likes

I don’t want to try a few times, i want it to work and to many times it does not.
I am starting to think it will never work the way it should because they bit of more than they can chew with this Sim/game.

More and more today, synchronize the clock is a placebo.

4 Likes

I’m stuck frequently at a higher rate than ever, more than 6 times out of 10. (Checking some mods, so frequently restarting is a necessity).
The last two hours, just out of curiosity, I turned things around and synced time each time before I started MSFS. You know what?:
26 times I synced the time, 26 starts of MSFS, 15 times hanging in the Update loop while generating a download traffic of approx 300mbit/s.
My conclusion is that the time setting isn’t the factor once you did it after reboot. It’s clearly a placebo effect.

1 Like

I can confirm as well it seems to always do it the first time I start FS. I then ALT+F4 out and restart and it works. All time and syncs are fine and I’ve not needed to do that (although I’ve tried in order to fix it). If I reboot the PC and then load FS same thing happens again and I have to ALT+F4 out and restart and all is fine again.

And my internet is pretty good:

Yup, same on Xbox, been checking a while. Shutting down for now.

So this is the 3rd day in a row I can’t play the game (in which I’ve invested a lot of money). First day I couldn’t get the game to recognize my mouse. I tried for an hour and ran out of time and patience. Second day it was the Bing servers and today I can’t start the whole thing. This is unacceptable. XBox X

Edit: I got the game started. Prompted me to three initial setup pages at startup. Lost most of my general settings/options. I hope none of my controller settings didn’t get f*ed up.

3 Likes

I just tried three times with no luck. There is currently no way for me to get past the “Checking for Updates” screen.

I did the suggested date and time settings > restart > same checking for updates stuck
Went through addonlinker > removed everything vs the main two things needed the sim for > got past checking for updates and into sim
This is why it is essential to use something similar or addon linker itself > great isolation troubleshoot method for PC user.

Flying again.
Had to back out to get past hanging update hunt, but the map is high rez now and flight loaded

Update 8:11 central/13:11 gmt I think?

Working normally now, no hangs, looking good in flight

8:39 map will not load detail again.

Started working, folks started flying, servers heated up, no map no more