Chiriaco Summit (L77), California

This a very little field that I’ve started. Screen shots below are work-in-progress.

Only one runway and no on-site infrastructure. But it’s an airport with an history. It’s also an airport use often by west coast flying club to organize their Fly’ins. Mine regularly set a “Spot Landing Challenge and Flour Bomb Challenge” just for the fun. L77 will be freeware very soon.

You’re in the Colorado desert of Southern California and it’s an easy place to practise your pattern:

Chiriaco is also a wellknown $100 burger and a travel stop on the interstate 10:

In April 1943, General Patton defined Chiriaco Summit (at that very moment named “Camp Young”) as headquarter for 3rd Armored Division and main maneuvers area in training for tank warfare:

Don’t be surprised by the people, cones and flags half in the middle of the runway. There’s an Spot Landing Challenge in progress runway 6! There are also white lines defining areas. The target landing area is highlighted by cones on each side of the runway, approximately 20 feet apart. The 100 points section is marked with flags on the cones:

3 Likes

Looking good! I do hope you’ll be able to model the Patton Museum with statue and static tanks.
Cool place to visit after your hundred dollar hamburger.

Your scenery is the best!

Would love but it would required too much work and at far distant from (the field) and my skills :wink: I tried to find free low poly models of WWII tanks but didn’t find anything usable (so far).
Thank you!

It’s been a few years since I’ve been there but most of the tanks are post WWII.
There may be something useful in this library, though.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m not the biggest fan of library but for this purpose which is not much related to aviation, it could worth maybe for version 2 to use it. My main concern is the building and the Patton’s statue. Can hardly find something “close to” :wink: I did find some 3D Patton models (free) but not obviously in same setup as the statue at Chiriaco Summit Patton Memorial Museum.

Finally, I found one or two and did a basic rendition (v1) of the museum. L77 is now available. Hope you’ll enjoy!

1 Like

Released! Chiriaco Summit Airport is mostly use for recreational VFR and alternatively for emergency services. Several west coast aero clubs, (among my Plus One Flyers club) use this field and the nearby restaurant as a destination site for annual weekend competitions. Don’t forget to enjoy the Spot Landing challenge in progress runway 6!

And during the approach and departure, enjoy the desert views which are unbelievable with the high mountains that rise to 11,000’. Enjoy for free: Chiriaco Summit Airport (L77) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

In April 1943, General Patton defined Chiriaco Summit (at that very moment named “Camp Young”) as headquarter for 3rd Armored Division and main maneuvers area in training for tank warfare.

Chiriaco is also a well-known $100 burger and a travel stop on the interstate 10:

Don’t be surprised by the people, cones and flags half in the middle of the runway. There’s an Spot Landing Challenge in progress runway 6! There are also white lines defining areas. The target landing area is highlighted by cones on each side of the runway, approximately 20 feet apart. The 100 points section is marked with flags on the cones:

Enjoy for free: Chiriaco Summit Airport (L77) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

4 Likes

Awesome, Vincent! Your sceneries rock!

1 Like