Churches still missing

Contrary to former world updates, there don’t seem to be generic (“autogen-type”) churches in WU6. Not only the one of my home town (Jena) but also the Ulmer Munster with the highest steeple of the world (being relevant for flying, too) is missing.

Kind regards, Michael

7 Likes

I believe some of those are optional, they need to be downloaded from the marketplace. Don’t worry they are free.

Noticed that too.
While the rest of the update is rather good, the missing churches are quite a bit disappointing.

what are you talking about?

C’mon, guys, why do we whine about some friggin’ churches when we might just fly up high enough to meet our Maker?

1 Like

mainly because churches simply are an integral part to the appearance of every town, village and hamlet. Basically every kind of community in Central Europe has literally been build around a church building of some sort. And having those - even if they are generic - make the autogen scenery look much more real.

It’s not a deal-breaker, but since they added churches in the previous world updates I honestly thought that they would do it here too.

11 Likes

On the bright side, if your church is missing you can stay home on Sunday and go “flying”! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

That would mean that our SIm would have to understand history as a key factor in world generation. I’m not sure that we’re getting there right now though…

But you understand that the highest steeple in the world is kind of an obstacle for planes, don’t you?

Kind regards, Michael

Just wait until the Sagrada Familia is finally built in my hometown, Barcelona. That will be the end of your world record, man ;-). By the way, that temple has had an awful misrepresentation in MSFS to this date. And yet nobody would be so foolish as to fly near any of those churches, right?

The patch notes states that there is optional world update content such as the catherdrals or bridges and such. He is asking some churches are still missing, I just simply stated that they might be optional downloads to do if he wants to see them in the sim. The ones he stated such as the Ulma Muenster are optional downloads to get from the marketplace.

Release Notes (1.19.8.0) World Update VI: Germany, Austria, Switzerland Now Available! - Microsoft Flight Simulator
It is right on the bottom of the notes.

I can speculate as to why there are no churches. I live in the U.S. and MSFS does not show any churches in my town either. As I understand MSFS, it is based on Bing or Google maps. Those maps are aerial views and show only roofs of buildings. All MSFS sees is a roof. It does not “know” what is beneath the roof. In fact, it has me living in a warehouse, but it got the roof and yard right!

It also uses openstreetmap data to figure out things like building purpose and height which are parameters that can be edited in that map. They used this to add church auto buildings for the past three updates in UK & Ireland, France and Benelux and Scandinavia so it is a bit odd they didn’t for this world update. And it’s based on Bing, no Google data at all.

1 Like

Actually, “understanding” open street maps and the sort would be sufficient :wink:

3 Likes

It’s really disappointing, in Austria every town is built around a church, even the smallest of villages often have their own. But even with a dedicated world update they didn’t make it into the game. But the Austria update is in a whole rather disappointing.

2 Likes

Oh no. Haven’t flown there just yet, just a short trip through the Swiss Alps - which are amazing now. Better satelite imagery and most importantly higher mesh resolution for the Alps.

What about Austria? Aren’t at least the Alps rendered with a higher mesh resolutin? What about satellite data? No change?

In fact, those are the changes - besides better “AI building generation” - that count for me personally. “POIs” are just eye-candy: nice to have, but nothing “that lasts for long” as far as “user experience” goes. IMHO.

The mesh is better but the ground textures are the same as before the update. At least where I was flying in Vorarlberg around the Bodensee and the mountains to the east. Really ugly and blurry images, different colors etc. They are also no churches, no dams, no POIs (what I also don’t really care about) etc.
Maybe I’ll post some pics later.

1 Like

Those are just the handcrafted POIs. So not even a dozen specifically made churches. We’re talking about auto gen churches than are being placed in every town and village like in previous world updates. That’s thousands in the area we’re talking about.

Mesh in Austria and Switzerland is not bad. Similar to the payware and freeware 10m DEMs out there. Better in some areas, worse in others.

You are missing the point. They were able to do it for the UK and France but didn’t for this update. It’s not about history, it’s about VFR flying and things looking right from the air. And churches are an integral part to immersion because they stand out from the rest of the buildings. At least it is for me.

2 Likes

Its not only that the churches are not in the new update, but they also didn’t introduce new region specific building types as seen in other world updates.

As of my short and subjective observations the autogen didn’t change at all (like it was for every other region that has been updated so far)

2 Likes

I think the “history” point made by @BetaHal was more about “how should the AI know where to place (generate) churches” rather than about “why should they be there” :wink:

But as I already mentioned previously the AI does not have to “go back into history” to understand where a church would most likely be placed. Instead that information is already present. I am pretty sure that Open Street Map (which, yes, is an “official data source” for FS 2020, as they had mentioned in some development video…) has this kind of information (“this building is a church”).

E.g. zoom into any random village (here: Kriens in Switzerland) and you’ll see that there is a “cross symbol” indicating that “this is a church”:

2 Likes

This is what Vorarlberg looks like after the update (same as before).

(This is how that mountain looks IRL: Datei:Dornbirn Breitenberg 03.jpg – Wikipedia)

Drastic color differences between various images:

The Körbersee was voted as “Austria’s most beautiful place” in 2015. This is what it looks like in MSFS after a “World Update Austria”:

IRL: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Körbersee#/media/Datei:Schröcken_Körbersee_003_2009_09_08.jpg

Nearby we have this monster:

Everything is on ultra, cache cleared, restarted PC and game - nope, that’s just how it looks I guess.

1 Like