CJ4 veering violently on approach

I love the CJ4 but why does it veer/bank violently from left to right the minute I hit APP? The LOC has been tuned correctly, I wait until I am straight ahead on final just before FF, hit APP , the LOC Nav comes up on the PFD and then BAM it goes all over the place trying to stabilise on final. It does ultimately stabilise after GS but there’s a helluva lot of rolling left and right before it does. AM I hitting APP too early?Should I wait until just before FF? Any advice gratefully received!

1 Like

Unusual. I find the CJ4 and Longitude plus all other heavy jets absolutely stable with only the light GA’s being affected by crosswinds etc…

Not sure if it could be the root cause but does your flight model set to “Modern” ?

Yesterday I had the same problem landing at KTPA because of the strong wind gusts.(up to 60) today it was smooth as glass at KPHX little or no wing.

Try activating the approach before IAF and see if that helps.
The plane may think it needs to go back to either IF or IAF when your activating it.

If it did it probably wouldn’t continue the approach. It sounds like the AP is struggling to remain on course. That could be down to external factors like wind, or even the AI PID’s but if other users are not seeing this, then it’s probably not that. One possibility could be the users flight controls overriding the autopilot, and it having to correct for inputs, commanded or otherwise.

Thanks for the replies. Solved it now, I was panicking about the whole NAV/APP sequence. All I had to do was follow LNAV with FMS activated in the PFD as normal and then when the ‘ghost’ LOC1 indicator (dotted blue arrow) appeared in the PFD I just pressed APP and APPLOC1 and GS became armed (white). I continued on LNAV until final and it switched automatically to LOC1 (green) and ultimately caught the GS. Didn’t have to activate the NAV button with the up and down arrows at all. There was a bit of swaying while it latched on to the LOC but nothing too frightening and certainly not like I had before!

1 Like