Clear sky icing

It seems that planes are icing in clear skies…
That’s new…
Anyone have that ?

yep, happened to me yesterday in tha PC6. Not sure if realistic or not.

Yes, I also had that yesterday at -3°C with dew point -7°C and clear sky.

Time, location, altitude? I think the humidity and mist they introduced can cause this. Freezing fog and frost in clear skies is a real thing, but if this is behaving like the simulator’s cloud based icing then it’ll be way too fast and excessive.

1 Like

For me it was yesterday about 10:42 UTC at the gate in KIAD (logbook). Clear sky, no fog or the like, dry ground (relative humidity approx. 81%). The A320 was completely iced up like cloud-based icing.

In case this is reported often, could you move the post in Bugs and issues?

Ok, I move it.

I submitted a bug report (although it shows up as ‘solved’ not sure what that means) as I am experiencing the same thing.

In my case it turns out that the airport I am flying out of has an INOP freezing rain sensor that is reported in the METAR as FZRANO (normally freezing rain should just be FZRA)

The METAR also shows clear skys (CLR) so it appears to be interpreting this as clear skys with freezing rain.

The METAR that is causing the issue for me is:
METAR: KWVL 250256Z AUTO 32003KT 10SM CLR M04/M09 A3010 RMK AO2 SLP225 T10391089 58010 FZRANO

You can see your METAR by looking the airport up at AWC - METeorological Aerodrome Reports (METARs) or by just clicking weather when at the airport and selecting ‘METAR’ under ‘LIVE WEATHER’

:thinking:interesting…

Solved means that your submission was accepted and moved out of Zendesk to the developers database.

More information about Zendesk statuses here:
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014232420-Zendesk-Bug-Reporting-FAQ

2 Likes

Yes, I had this today. KLAA 260853Z AUTO 22008KT 10SM CLR M03/M13 A3022

There’s no way to de-ice the aircraft on the ground, so we can’t have this “feature.” I tried to use the DA62’s de-icing but it didn’t work. Wouldn’t even lift of the runway.