Climbing is very difficult in training

I am getting through training, but not with flying grades like A’s. During VFR training, for one example, I struggle to get to 8,000 feet. Then she tells me to get to 8500 feet while maintaining 75 kts. At full throttle, I have to almost stall the airplane to get to say 8200. What else can I do to maintain airspeed and reach that altitude. Using trim slowly to climb at 300 feet per second, should get me to 8500 in time, but then it needs more power. It seems the Cesna 172 (the default for training) just doesn’t have the power to do what the instructor asks. Please help!

Have you adjusted the mixture? At that altitude you surely need to.

2 Likes

Thanks! I have not… I guess I need a new instructor LOL

2 Likes

You definitely do. it’s a real bad miss that they didn’t add basic necessities like instructing you on leaning the mixture.

3 Likes

In short (very short…) when you climb you have to reduce the mixture to the right amount . There are tutorials teaching how to do that.

1 Like

Are the tutorials on this site, or Youtube?

1 Like

Youtube.Maybe they are not all in english language.

Please note this feedback has been logged (tag “feedback-logged”). While not a bug report, it has been taken in for consideration in any potential future changes to the training module. Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

3 Likes

You may try this : Tutorial #10 - How to set Mixture - Microsoft Flight Simulator - YouTube

1 Like

Yeah I just started training and its almost impossible to pass beginner flight because mixture and throttle keeps changing. Please add a tutorial on how to use mixture before you climb!

ty

Clifford