Cloud density causing aircraft performance issues

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

performance decrease passing through the clouds compared to Sim Update 8

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

12900K/RTX3090/32Go

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Hard to say, as Overcast cloudy conditions in SU8 performance was poor.

1 Like

I had a heavy overcast withCb in a couple of places and my fps dropped from 50-something to 20-something. Ridiculous. Never had this before…
Reducing cloud quality didn’t help…

1 Like

Can confirm. With a lot of clouds/fog fps drops from 35 to 25.

1 Like

Well they apparently increased the cloud precision to remove some banding artifacts. I hope they don’t need to reduce quality noticeably to bring back the performance.

3 Likes

Hopefully if they choose to do that they give us the option.

From what I’ve experienced I’m not finding a perf drop in the clouds at all. I’m fairly confident whatever is going on performance-wise is not cloud related.

I haven’t noticed any bad performance in clouds but I also haven’t been flying in many clouds.

From what I heard Seb say in a recent Q&A, it seems that Asobo doesn’t want to introduce subtle changes unless they can do so without harming performance.

I noticed the same yesterday, i needed to put clouds on High which was Ultra earlier to achieve my previous FPS counts. There’s definitely an fps impact on clouds now with SU9.

1 Like

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Aircraft performance is decreased when cloud thickness is increased beyond about 13,000 ft, and severely impacted when cloud density is increased beyond 1

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

I flew the Cessna 172/G1000 w/NXI mod in level flight at 4500 ft msl near KPBF, with surface temps set to about 71F and standard pressure. Created a overcast cloud layer from 0 to 11,000 ft MSL and cloud density of 1 (no precip or humidity.) Autopilot was able to maintain level flight at 103 KIAS @ 2400 RPM in ALT and HDG hold modes. Increased cloud density to 5. Aircraft lost significant speed, and entered 500 fpm descent, despite autopilot annunciations indicating no change in selected mode. Descent and speed reduction continued until cloud density reduced to 1. Aircraft lost 500 ft, and was indicating 50 KIAS. Autopilot recovered lost altitude, and was then able to recover to cruise airspeed.

Similar (though less dramatic) issue encountered if cloud tops increased above 23000 ft. Result was significant loss of indicated airspeed (decelerated to about 75 KIAS) but no loss in altitude. Later realized that this issue seemed to occur if clouds tops were set higher than base of next higher layer (even if next higher layer was set to thickness and coverage % that rendered it not visible.)

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU8

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video: