Cloud Top Altitude

Just wondering if others find that the clouds appear too high at cruise altitude. As an example, with live weather at FL390, it almost appears as though I’m skimming the cloud tops. However, if I descent, I might have to drop 20000 feet before I enter them. Most RL flights I’ve taken and most videos I watch, the clouds appear way below the aircraft. Next flight I’ll get some more detailed weather info, but generally, the clouds seem way too high to me.

3 Likes

I think so this is a problem.
At cruising level top clouds seems to be just below the aircraft but when descending, you have to descend some 150000 to 20000’ to enter IMC in clouds.

1 Like

It’s a cloud scale problem, there’s nothing we can do about it

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. It’s too bad there isn’t a way to scale down the cloud size when at cruise altitude. I don’t find it particularly realistic, but I guess this can be considered a small gripe given some of the other issues mentioned in the forums. I love the sim, and maybe Asobo will eventually find a way to make the clouds at altitude seem a little more realistic.

Haha, yeah, the first few times I descended in icing conditions, I had anti-ice turned on 10 - 15 minutes before I hit the clouds in a shallow descent. I was sure I was about to enter the clouds, but I kept descending and descending and never seemed to get there.

1 Like

It feels like the clouds tend to follow you. The lower I fly, the lower the ceiling gets. Here I was the other day trying to fly below the clouds but they just kept getting lower.

The other day I was 8500 feet and approaching a cloud deck and I wanted to drop below it but it just lowered as I approached and by the time I landed it was almost on the ground.