CLS-60. A budget Force Feedback Yoke review

There seems a lot of marketing fluff on their Discord, but relatively little about the mechanics of purchase, availabilty, etc. I am really keen to get on to the CLS60 but am waiting for now until things settle a bit and more info becomes available.

I have been FFB for a long, long time now and dont swallow the bulletpoints about level of force etc. because where I feel FFB has its greatest value is within a few percent of centre, where you can feel the trim and the action needed to correct it. If you need great wallops of force, you are quite likely doing something wrong unless aerobatics are your thing in which case an FFB stick might be a lot better.

At $80 some twenty years ago I wish MS would have remained in the force feedback business.

$800 is just not something I am going to pay for the addition of force feedback. Not to mention that when compared to the control loading in an FFS, FF is still a gimmick. A darn good gimmick considering the rather massive price difference. But, not near the asking price of $800.

Maybe on an AATD, it might make sense where you can log time in a real pilotā€™s logbook.

1 Like

Well a Sidewinder FFB plastic stick is hardly comparable to a 9.2kg full metal device , from the hardware side and also from the software side. I think the quality could be really good and durable + they will provide spare parts if ever something breaks. And what I saw from the videos is also very promising

1 Like

It is more comparable than you might think, I suspect. The fidelity though is going to come with the software and how that translates back to you behind stick, yoke or whatever, that will be the thing that makes the real difference. It is only this really that was forcing my hand for an upgrade this year and I had thought that the Brunner was going to be it, but the CLS looks very promising indeed.

The software for FFB at present, XP Force, is a basic affair that is far better than nothing but seems not to be available anymore and so my two Logitech G940 systems will hopefully be able to have a quieter life if all goes well. Also, I can sleep at night without worrying too much about reinstallations of Windows and MSFS.

The bottom line is that two well respected Youtubers with hands on experience with this yoke, love it and have demonstrated why they do throughout complete flights.

2 Likes

Has there been any word when this product will hit the market, i.e. when first deliveries will go out?

Indiegogo campaign seems to be live

2 Likes

Click on ā€œSee Optionsā€ to preorder. It will say September 2024 is the estimated shipment period. $800 does not include shipping cost.

The shipping date is now in July !

Well, I thought this thread might be swimming in reviews by now. Have any of the posters here actually got their hands on it yet?

I think we are all chatting on the Discord server :smiley:

But what I can say so far as early bird customer: Fantastic

the CLS 60 has plenty of power and is a really solid design. The machanical design is really good, the yoke itself has a strong metal inner structure and the shaft is solid too . The Software is growing fast and the ealry hiccups are being fixed right now.

The feeling is smooth since the last firmware update and you can feel the forces, the speed, the turbulence ā€¦ its absolutely worth the price.

And we will see support for the A2A Comanche soon !

I would say itā€™s superior to the Brunner .

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I am about to hit the trail possibly today as the exchange rate is good. I dont have a great idea as to likely UK import costs though. I ordered the MFG Crosswind rudder pedals to go with it on Wednesday and the import duties there on a Ā£309 base price turned out to be an additional Ā£72.

Looking forward to it now and shipping date looks like Aug 15th.

The shipping has two options now, Air and sea . The prices for cargo in General went up recently and will even more in the near future.

I ordered by air (only option back then) and it was 199$ wich is not avoidable with the weight . Taxes came on top with another 150$.

Still cheaper than the Brunner, and still better

2 Likes

Orderedā€¦ Shipping date 15 August. MFG Crosswind v3 rudder pedals delivered yesterday. Anyone need a set or two of the Logitech G940 FFB HOTAS systems? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meh Iā€™m happy in TB land for FS. Itā€™s not exactly like you can FEEL-that you KNOW you have two laps left on tires by touching too much paint at a given apex in an F1 car, and not to take more than half a rear tireā€™s worth on that turn for the next two laps. Iā€™ll be interested when I can feel the level of graining in the pavement on taxi or if Iā€™m the bleeding edge of too lean from engine vibration. Where is FFB going to be in 2024? Maybe some resistance, are they going to to control surface flutter or buffeting? To me, ffb would require the motion rig to go with it in a 3D world.

1 Like

Right now Iā€™m trying to visualize how I can get this thing under my desk with a secure quick-release mount like my Alpha is now.

1 Like

Strictly speaking, I am sure something could be done, butā€¦

It is a big lump and knowing Sods law, might need at least three hands, patience, a lot of faffing around and a large helping of luck to get it right on a repeatable basis. In short, the logistics might make you wonder whether it was worth it.

Although it may be close to heracy on this thread to say it, the Brunner is physically smaller, lighter and possibly might lend itself to your needs better than the CLS 60.

Have a look at the data sheets for both and have a brainstorming session. There is an answer somewhere, but one that only you can quantify. Good luck :slight_smile: You might need it.

Is the CLS-60 something that can be easily attached to and removed from a desk that is used for working at during the day?
Is it as easy to attach/remove as the Honeycomb, if you have owned that?
I imagine it has itā€™s own power supply too right?
Do you think you could stand a TV on top of it or is the top not hard steel?
Thank you

TV riser or Gas arm attached to the rear of said desk? If your TV has a VESA mounting point that might help.

Small update of note for any UK purchasers here. Shipping update and bill for UK delivery, is 230USD. Still no mention of VAT or import duties as yet. Estimated delivery wait of 7 to 14 days. Will keep
you posted.