Cockpit feels tiny

Just put a scaler setting in the menu like DCS.

Yep. I can confirm that on a Rift CV1, Quest 2, Pimax and Index.

I re-evaluated the helmet cliffhouse scenario and I’m pretty sure this is happening:
In WMR it does nothing on my Reverb G2. The only thing that actually seems to shift is the lens and the display @CptLucky8 - that’s probably the only reason why the helmet appears to change in size as lens and display slide together. Which while imho the correct implementation of that part I’d say that also the camera angles should change with the IPD which doesn’t seem to happen and is eventually causing all the issues we’re experiencing. It may even be the reason we all think that the focus isn’t 2m, but different. If I think correctly about that: angles not changing = different target focus for the eyes?

I’m not sure if that makes sense at all, but I’m almost certain that the angles change with IPD in the Oculus SDK (think I’ve read that in some open OpenVR issue ticket on GitHub)

I’ve been trying to closely look at this and the angles do change too but it is very subtle (and I didn’t bother comparing with the Index to such level of detail because the Index just works usually).

In order to see the angles changing, you can try using an aircraft with a central stick, bend over to put the eyes as close to the top of the stick (please don’t picture something else here…) and if you’re adjusting the hardware IPD slider and pay attention to the relative position of the upper tip and the lower features on the floor, you can see the angle is changing ever so slightly.

However I believe you’re also raising a good point: if the optics are calibrated for a short accommodation distance (say 1.5m instead of the more VR traditional 2.0-2.5m) and the angles are slightly wrong, it can cause a whole lot additional vergence/accommodation problems with the G2, although the virtual focal point (the angles) should usually be set quite farther away otherwise you’d have a problem adjusting when looking objects up close and objects far away.

Will have to look into this when I get to it. I was pretty sure the angles didn’t change. So either I failed or I’ve got (another?) SW issue that might or might not be related to what I’m experiencing.

However: I do (like massively) have problems focusing on close and distant object. When I’m in a car I can effortlessly switch focus from the side mirror or the dashboard to the objects behind them in an Oculus HMD as well as the Pimax or Index.
I can’t do that with the G2. I end up with eyestrain immediately when I try this.

Please note: it is very subtle an angle change. You have to really find a good position with relatively distant objects either in the close range, or something really elongated (try the cliff house cement floor over the cliff in standing on the grass next to it).

I need an environment that’s accessible to WMR, SteamVR and Oculus so I could compare what either HMD does.

Any suggestions? I don’t necessarily want to run the Oculus through SteamVR though as I don’t trust OpenVR.

Fact for sure is:
Oculus, Index, Pimax - in all three if them I see an obvious change in perceived scale between 58/60mm and 68mm (my IPD is 63mm). I don’t see that in the Reverb G2. The only thing it affects is how bad my eyestrain gets and maybe actually a subtle change in sense if scale. But not enough that I could say for certain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.