Cockpit Lights Flickering When AI Traffic Is Active

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Cockpit backlighting and flood lighting on any aircraft flickers and blinks on/off with view and aircraft movement when AI aircraft (offline, live, or injected) are active in the flight session at night or at dawn/dusk. Cockpit lighting is normal/functional when no AI aircraft are present. Cockpit flashlight does not experience issue.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Unable to demonstrate flickering with screenshot. See repeatable steps below.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Load flight at night with any aircraft that has cockpit flood and/or gauge backlighting. If AI aircraft settings are set to OFF, lighting is fine. When AI is then injected through method of choice (external program like AIG or through menu options) cockpit lights start flickering and malfunctioning.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

RTX 3070Ti

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Latest non-beta as of 7 January 2023.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

can you mention a stock! airplane for which it happens in your case allways ?

Did you also seen the existing topics, where it was reported for some specific third party airplanes and where in meanwhile a fix was delivered or where you can check whether the anti-alising setting can avoid that , or also where you can try to cleanup AppData folder ( e.g sim* folders ) ?

Any default Cessna 172 with panel floodlighting and gauge backlighting, for example. It would inaccurate to only highlight a specific airplane though.

I am familiar with the antialiasing suggestion but no positive results from that on my end. Not familiar with reports connected only to specific aircraft or an AppData cleanup solution.

I did see one report on another forum connecting this issue to a juxtaposition in data-call code between the user aircraft and AI aircraft when it comes to lights, but that is for MS/Asobo to solve. This reasoning does connect with the fact that all lights operate normally when AI traffic is set to OFF, but I start getting lights issues when AI aircraft begin appearing in the flight session.

its only to have a reference for testing :slight_smile:

I tried now with the C172 G1000 and I really notice some flickers in case the setting is KI-Offline. But its more like black frames. I can switch all lights off, and it happens some times. I usually fly in setting “RealTime-Traffic” where I it not happen, but where also “auto gen” airplanes exists ( just not random ). The system-load in setting “KI-Offline” seems also much higher, may be there is a relation to that. May be other users can retest that too.

I have the same issue and looking for a fix.

I have the exact same issue.

I believe this is being caused by the “max light points” threshold being hit with more AI traffic. There’s a set limit (maybe 1000 or so) and once that gets hit, the lights start “fighting” over each other, causing flickering as they flash on and off.

In P3D, we had an option to increase the max light points, would be nice to be able to do it again here.