Cold & Dark Start-up on a runway

Q: Is this a dupe?
A: I did a search using phrase “cold start” and couldn’t find a topic like this.

Q: Why?
A: Some addon airports don’t have parking spots. The sim seems to set a/c to running state when spawning on a runway. This would be a quality of life (QOL) improvement.

Q: How?
A: GUI options like this

options menu:

Always start C&D on a runway: ON/OFF

check box next to FLY NOW:

Start C&D

Q: Sim version?
A: PC, Top Gun DLC.

Edit. Added words.

Personally I think as a sim it should not be possible to spawn in on a runway in any condition, even spawning in on the run-up/hold-short area would be a little more accurate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi! I think most wishlist items regarding the missing option to start cold and dark were merged into the Include parking at all airports thread. That might the one to vote for! :slight_smile:

I’d like to have the ability to select whether I can start cold and dark or not regardless of starting from a parking spot or directly from the runway, since there are many airstrips (mostly the smaller ones) who do not have parking spots, just the runway. In this case one is forced to always start fully setup on the runway.
In this case it would be nice to be able to select when pressing the fly button if it schuld start cold and dark or not.

I agree; and if not an option/button when starting the flight, it would be nice to have it as a preference setting.

Especially with hardware controllers in the “wrong” state (ie magnetos off, mixture/condition lever in shutoff, etc), starting with the engine(s) running and having them immediately shut down by the hardware complicates things.

2 Likes