Color is off since Sim Update 5

They should really add these colour grading and auto eye adaption settings to the options as well as sliders for things like contrast and brightness etc.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it’s as simple as eye adaptation. It looks like the devs completely changed the color grading of the game and de-noised clouds which now makes them look like oil painting, stripping away all the contrast of the sky.

5 Likes

I know it. To much difference in ground texture resolution. Afer SU5 BLOOM adds a lot of blurry - You can see it on buildings on my screens and plane. But with turned off bloom, buildings looks similar but ground texture resolution at airport is dramatically low i have checked it few times - all settings ultra.

I have tested it only at LOWI from ORBX

BLOOM - now it must be OFF!!!

1 Like

Here’s a great comparison on avsim:
Some comparison screenshots SU5 to SU4 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

1 Like

Turning Lens Correction on makes it blurry:

Lens Correction On

Lens Correction Off

I adjusted my NVidia Control panel settings. Turned down gamma and increased color saturation.

The colour is crazy - its far too saturated etc, the clouds look stupid and everything has a sort of halo glow around things…just awful. The wings look like one blob of white texture - wheres the detail?!

2 Likes

Here’s another picture. It’s a weird rainbow effect everywhere

3 Likes

Hi, everyone.

Yesterday I read something in a German community forum for the MSFS on Facebook, which can be the problem for many, that the colors are no longer the same after the update and this light effect that affects everything!

Here’s what helped me get this back to where it was before the update!

The so-called rolling cache, which I also had on (20GB).
I deleted this and lo and behold, the colors were back as I wanted them and this light effect was gone.
Due to the SU5 update, the color correction was placed on the still old rolling cache, which then led to an overlay in the Sim and caused this bad appearance!

The following two files should therefore also be deleted so that they are created again the next time the system is started and no longer load the old rolling cache data.

-content.xml (delete)
-SceneryIndex (delete)

It should have solved the problems afterwards!

Why not just delete/refresh the rolling cache?

C:\User\Your Name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

In the folder: LocalCache you will find the Content.xml file and the folder SceneryIndexes, which delete two things.

I posted this in another thread already, but to emphasize there’s clearly something wrong (at least for those with an RTX2080 on 8bit SDR monitor like me), here’s the purple hell of a formerly great approach into ENCN:

And then there’s serious banding going on making the clouds look like a dull water color image under certain conditions:

The rainbow colors around the cloud edges as the OP described are visible for me too, paired with weird particle effects around cloud edges.

This is not a great looking simulator anymore (for me). I guess it still would be hard to achieve a better overall expierience with one or the other competitor, but if this is the new reality, the advantage of MSFS has certainly taken a severe hit.

I will still try the one and the other suggested workaround, but I doubt we as users can overcome the issues to a satisfying degree.

1 Like

Thanks for this Slicks. We’re giving it a Try now.

Yes, at first I thought that the weird color banding was clouds only, but it happens to everything. Water, sky at dawn/dusk etc.
Let’s hope someone will notice this and bring it back to normal.

1 Like

Did it work? I tried deleting rolling cash and it didn’t do anything.

Didn’t make a noticeable difference for me. Can still also see the weird colour banding on the runways as well.

The sim does rebuild the files also.

Hi, would you mind telling me what you set those settings at?

Thanks

Using the NVidia Control Panel | Adjust desktop color settings. Gamma slid to the left to 0.80 Digital vibrance slider to the right to +58. It seems to work OK.

This is for a windowed MSFS.

We deleted the User cfg entries and Reset Cache as suggested and noted a slight overall improvement which might well be owing to Refreshing the Cache.
There also seems to be less popping in and out of trees and Buildings.
Servers are more than likely less overwhelmed now and this might account for the improvement.
Who Know’s ? We’re not Tech minded which is why we appreciate you Guy’s.

Could everything just be related to light casting?
It seems I do not have any shadows, reflections or volumetric lighting whatsoever. I do not mean to rant or anything, but objectively, it somehow looks like a 10 year old sim now.

5 Likes