Complaint: A320 landing tutorial does not make it clear how to intercept glidescope

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

Poor user experience with the A320 landing lesson

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

The A320 landing lesson appears to be very simple, but needs better documentation. In particular, the tutorial instructs the user to intercept a 3 degree glidescope, but doesn’t fully explain how the PFD represents that information. In particular, it could be clearer that the green dot in the attitude indicator is the angle, and the green bar on the right measures feet per second. The mistake isn’t obvious until quite aways into the simulation. Additionally, at the time where the virtual instructor asks you to look at the the PAPI lights, on the XBox and my TV, the PAPI lights are too far away to be visible, even with a 4K TV.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

XBox series X

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Are you sure? :wink:

1 Like

How about this instead?

Good idea.

i totally agree there are next to zero tutorials on how to fly airliners at all & the couple there are do not give you any proper info, i have absolutely no idea what it is im meant to be looking at ? i dont see a 3 anywhere & so i dont understand what 3 degrees is ? also it is not linerd up with the runway at all & if you shift the plane to line up then it goes off green in the objective which suggests that it is off but if you keep the objective box green then you dont even land on the runway instead way off to the right of it. im sure this is all very easy to people who know what they are doing already but it isnt user friendly for beginners.

Your landing problems are most likely due to parallax error. You want the runway edges to both vanish into the distance at the same angle. If the left side is straight, then you are left, and vice-versa. (See Finding the centerline - AOPA) But are you going to get this knowledge in MSFS without taking a Jeppesen private pilot training course or reading FAA advisory circulars? No :frowning:

A 3 degree decent can be easily calculated by rule or thumb. Take your speed divide in half then multiply by 10. EG 100 kts should give you a 500 fpm decent rate. approach speed in an A320 is about 130kts, so decent rate should be around 750 feet per minute (indicated on the right side of the PFD).

Keep the ILS Glide slope bug centered.

IMG_4162

And if you like reading…