Complete reinstallation on an external SSD drive instead of copy/move/clone?

Yes but as it’s among the first files to be installed you can pause the download to check.

I don’t know what your problem is but for your information once loaded MSFS runs entirely from ram and virtual memory, the actual 2.2GB* installation will remain dormant unless you are changing things in the menu. This means while flying it really shouldn’t matter where it is located. It’s different for scenery (i.e. in your packages), this will be accessed.

Edit: 2.2GB plus another couple in Xbox depending on new or old installation, store steam etc.

That’s why I said if you face any problems, you can always reinstall. But if you don’t, you save a few hours. Well, it’s very important for me since with my internet connection, the sim takes 7-8 hours to install.

I had major stutters when i re-installed Steam version MSFS onto the same SSD drive. I had to re-install when SU15 refused to load from Steam. Tried everything with no luck. Prior to SU15 the sim was running ok with stutters but playable. After the re-install from steam the sim became un-playable with major stuttering so dis-appointing!. I finally though about checking the read/write speed on both SSD drives. The C: drive was my main drive and the one where the sim was installed on
was Drive D: after checking speed on both drives i found out that drive C: drive was faster than the added SSD drive i have been running the sim on for several years. I also noticed that when i re-installed MSFS Steam spit up some of the files onto my C: User directory and the official files and community directory to my D: drive? to me accessing two different drives seamed very inefficient. The next thing i did was to re-install the sim again this time forced Steam to load all the files onto Drive C: My Sim never ran so smooth! haven’t checked FPS i don’t care! When I’m on a flight i have FSRealistic, Navmaps along with a Twitch Stream running, stutters are minable and i haven’t had any CTD so far.

MSFS 1.37.19.0

My RIG:

Alienware i5 32mg memory NVidia 1060 6mb(555.99 driver)
Three Alienware Monitors
VKB Gladiator flight stick
VKB rudder pedals
Saitek throttle quadrant
Cox Broadband internet service running at 600.07 MBPS

When i first bought MSFS 2020 i thought my Mid Range PC might struggle
running the Sim but now I’m not to sure i need to do that. I hope MSFS 2024 will not require a high end machine to run the Sim.

It would be good to have a backup.
I didn’t when I moved mine.

As far a FS2020 is concerned, nothing changes.
As in, the new location of the folders/files is noted via Symbolic Links.
The “Installed Packages” are moved.
After the move, the UserCfg.opt will show the new location.

It is really easy to do.
On your new drive, create a new folder. (D:\FS2020)
Run the move.
When it is finished, start FS2020 and hit the skies.

Hi @SixtyBrake53742,
If your purchase of MSFS is not showing in either the MS Store Library or in the Xbox app Library (Start | All Apps | Xbox), I suggest you open a ticket with the Zendesk, here.

Hello,
It took 3 hours to move MSFS from D to H. Concerning the size of data transferred it seems to be OK, but the FlightSimulator.exe has a size of 0. The message from the launcher is always “do you own this game or app”. The problem is now with MStore and/or Xbox.
Best regards

I guess you need to install it (and from your DVD).

I know nothing about the DVD version.

Hi @SixtyBrake53742,
w.r.t. DVDs, see this post form @Hester40MT:

Are you still not seeing MSFS in the MS Store Library or in the Xbox app Library?

This is what your Xbox screen should look like.
Where mine shows Play, yours may show Install.

If FS2020 doesn’t show in Most Recent, click My Library.

Follow SmotheryVase665 & Hestors advice above on the DVDs.

Hello,
After this first test I had a look on MStore and I was very surprised to read a message concerning MSFF. This message proposed to click on “retry” as something was not completely finished. What I did and now MSFS is running fine !!
When searching for flightsimulator.exe I found again files of 0 size ! Where is the real file ?

It was somewhat laborious, but in the end the “move” option worked well. I noticed that addons that were previously seen by Community via links (ORBX in this case) were now hard-coded in Community. A few adjustments will have to be made in Central ORBX.
In any case, thank you all for your comments.
Best regards

Mine is C:\XboxGames\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Content (change drive letter to suit)

Thank you. I found it.
I thought the UserCfg.opt would be automatically changed by the move process. In fact not I had to do it manually (for both locations C and H).
Best regards

1 Like

Just for clarification, there isn’t two locations for the UserCfg.opt file.

Your physical location is on the H: drive after the move.
The reference on the C: drive is a Symbolic Link to the H: drive.

This is shown by the blue arrow on the File Explorer screen for the \LocalCache folder that UserCfg.opt is in.

In this folder on C:.…\LocalCache, in File Explorer you can Edit
UserCfg.opt but you are physically addressing the file on the H: drive.