Confusion about required settings to "fly together"

Cheers and good morning everyone,

a friend of mine and me wanted to fly together and we both use MSFS on the PC, he has the Steam version, I use the MS-Store version. I get that there should be no issues, but let’s mention it for completenes =). We were barely able to see each other sitting on the same ramp with even the same default aircraft. Depending on the settings we tried we saw hundreds of other pilots around the vicinity but not the aircraft of each other even though we saw the other one sitting on the ramp on the world map. So I would like to ask everyone what exact settings are actually required to simply fly together in MSFS, this has become so confusing with settings spreaded all over the sim.

Our attempted settings so far are:

World map:

• Multiplayer Group only (other settings didn’t help either, not even “all players”)
  • Air Traffic OFF
  • Weather and time live
  • We’re on the same server (Europe West with a ping of ~40) and both set to “online”, we joined a group flight when Group only was selected

General Options - Traffic:

• Aircraft Traffic Type OFF

• Show Nameplates ON

• Use generic Aircraft models (Multiplayer) - OFF

• Show multiplayer aircraft in close proximity ON

General Options - Data:

• everything ON

• no limitations, bandwidth unlimited

• developer mode is OFF

The problem is that both of us were able to see other people in the distance and even at the airport but it took us several attempts loading in and out and changing settings to be able to load up next to each other and actually see us.

The other day I tried it with another friend both flying the PMDG DC-6 and we were not able to see each other while other people taxied at the airport and flew in the distance. In this very case I have an addon airport while he uses the default scenery, it that a problem?

So… what to do? What are the actually relevant settings??

Thank you.

The only thing i can think of… is what i’ve experienced during a group flight… the one guy that we couldn’t see, and that same guy that couldn’t see us, installed the Beta test version, whilst the rest of us was on the nornal/published version. But you mentioned you were able to see eachother for an instant… just not regularly. Question: were you able to see the SAME people/usernames in the distance?

Our settings are usually set to “ALL players” to have more chance to see eachother, sometimes one of us disappears, then reappears, i guess depending on what Asobo/ms’s servers are doing.

1 Like

Good point, thanks! I am indeed on the beta while the both of them are not. I’m not sure about the other players’ names, we didn’t really compare them but that’s certainly one thing we’ll try out. As soon as this current AAU1 beta is over I’ll leave the beta and we’ll have another go.

1 Like

Well, MS still needs beta testers… but this is one of two things why i’m not jumping the gun on beta’s. The other is the “complete reinstall”, which used to happen.

I can’t ask the other two guys to download the beta at this point, they are completely new to the sim and just try to come to grips with it. :smiley: Maybe later.

1 Like

I think you can now see players on both builds.

For example, I was in a Fly-In Friday the other day and I saw people who I knew were in AAU1 beta while flying. So I don’t think it’s that issue but you can try!

That’s what I read, too. But knowing this sim I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t a reliable situation.

As I noted, you can try and leave the Beta build and see if that offers a solution to the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just participated in a live stream with no issues. I’m on the beta, All Players selected and make sure you are on the same server.