Constant CTD every flight now (ntdll.dll)

We didn’t roll back anything on either the client or server side.

4 Likes

Fair enough, thanks for confirming must be something else then.

My understanding is that Restart or power up with Fastboot disabled will rebuild all RAM contents from disk storage, effectively fixing any corrupted RAM memory, regardless of whether any Windows updates are or are not also being deployed.

Also, my understanding is that modern Windows may have solved application failures causing OS failure (the old BSOD), but the RAM that is corrupted by applications is not corruption-free until after a restart or power up with Fastboot disabled.

Please correct me if I’m wrong about any of this.

I’m not a software engineer. But my impression was that it is not the RAM that is corrupted, but rather the code. And that’s only from some knowledge gathered from reading through the 1300+ replies of the “memory could not be read CTD” thread.

Having said that, I restart my PC at least once a day. And I have for a while Windows update set to “Get me up to date” (Win11).

1 Like

Are you certain that nothing went through Windows Update, at all, between Friday and Monday? I certainly have Security Intelligence updates every day during that period in my logs. Do I believe that something that hooks into the operating system on every executable could cause troubles and be fixed by a later update? Sure, in my opinion as a computer professional. Though I had no crashes, either.

And I can go ahead. Meanwhile 18+ hours in the sim, several flights and turnarounds, no CTD anymore. Flying around in Europe, Fenix A320, all the time Vatsim.

Latest Windows 11 - RTX 3090 latest driver - i9 11900K - 48 GB DDR4

SU 9, MSFS Store - All online / live services enabled (no traffic for sure since im on vatsim).

At the moment the problem seems solved. Very happy about that.

1 Like

@SeedyL3205 could you bring to the attention of the developers what is being reported regarding the CTD which could be a server-side bandwidth issue.

Sorry if this has nothing to do with this topic itself, I imagine it’s up to an investigation. because it could be part of the problem.

Tks

I think we are saying the same thing. During a Restart or power up with Fastboot disabled, Windows is copying a ton of system code into RAM from disk and then runs that code from RAM as needed.

This RAM used by system code is supposed to be protected from application changes by the OS, but it looks like somehow the copy of ntdll.dll in RAM is getting corrupted and remains corrupted in RAM until a restart or power up with Fastboot disabled replaces ntdll.dll in RAM.

I do not claim to be an expert on this, I am just trying to understand the mechanism for ntdll.dll crashes.

1 Like

Could anyone enlighten me, how this CTD is happening and what can be done?

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000153dd9e
Faulting process id: 0xfb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b798a82f82a0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 31d5e7b1-984a-404d-868b-b707b1c37794
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Except that was fixed. By it’s name ntdll is probably a kernel issue rather than memory but without a reboot invalid instructions may remain in memory. Personally I have all my packages on another drive so simply reinstalling MSFS is a relatively quick affair … but don’t forget to reboot afterwards and inbetween if installing the beta

That one could be almost anything. First advice, remove all Community content, and retest, but in all likelihood you could fly the exact same route a dozen times now, and it might not crash. Sadly that’s the nature of that particular one.

You mean the ntdll error was fixed? (not the memory error).

I also have a backup of the Official folder (both SU9 and SU10), so in case I need to reinstall the sim it’s very swift.

Doing a clean install now. Will see if that fixes anything

I actually mean both are fixed however not the faults that sit in people’s MSFS or Windows install. It could be every time they start the sim corrupted handling instructions are being fed into memory.

PS. I was getting quite a lot of errors with W11 dev mode … switching to the regular version has cured this.

I’ve not had time to fly since the weekend, just tried now (after doing the update check - nothing found - and Restart) and it froze and crashed after 10 mins flight. It’s not the ntdll one (this time) so I am not sure now where I’m supposed to post about this instead. I didn’t get the Memory not read dialogue popup either.

Thing is I never had such often CTD before this kicked off so I am lost now as it sure feels like part of the same core issue still here.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000b8a832
Faulting process id: 0x2564
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b7dfcdcd1bfc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: da742a38-e169-48c4-bbd2-1b8a011f40f9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Well, to my understanding the “memory could not be read” CTDs have not been officially fixed. They have however been “bug-logged”. Sorry in advance to the @mods as I don’t want to hijack this thread with “my” CTDs. I do think a general discussion on overall sim stability is valid though, but this thread is probably not the place for that.

Ok maybe not officially but I no longer CTD and those crazy artifacts have disappeared for those that suffered.

Sorry but there are no coincidences on this scale in IT. I performed none of the suggested fixes, don’t use Defender and the PC is always powered off at night with fast boot disabled.

The message seems to be updates were responsible, some people needed them yes but what is the explanation for those that didn’t have any and are now not having ctds? Does not equate.

5 Likes

They have to say something after the 300 votes. But you can see couple of posts above yours that that is not fixing the issue, as common sense was showing when we explained that it was reproducing also on updated Windows versions during the weekend.

Cheers

3 Likes

Yep, in my opinion the fix was absolutely not that given here, I was doing all of that whilst having the CTD’s, then they just stopped.

So who knows what it was, I suspect something not on our side.

1 Like