Constant CTD every flight now (ntdll.dll)

Well, to my understanding the “memory could not be read” CTDs have not been officially fixed. They have however been “bug-logged”. Sorry in advance to the @mods as I don’t want to hijack this thread with “my” CTDs. I do think a general discussion on overall sim stability is valid though, but this thread is probably not the place for that.

Ok maybe not officially but I no longer CTD and those crazy artifacts have disappeared for those that suffered.

Sorry but there are no coincidences on this scale in IT. I performed none of the suggested fixes, don’t use Defender and the PC is always powered off at night with fast boot disabled.

The message seems to be updates were responsible, some people needed them yes but what is the explanation for those that didn’t have any and are now not having ctds? Does not equate.

5 Likes

They have to say something after the 300 votes. But you can see couple of posts above yours that that is not fixing the issue, as common sense was showing when we explained that it was reproducing also on updated Windows versions during the weekend.

Cheers

3 Likes

Yep, in my opinion the fix was absolutely not that given here, I was doing all of that whilst having the CTD’s, then they just stopped.

So who knows what it was, I suspect something not on our side.

1 Like

Perhaps something came down from the Microsoft Store packages (nothing to do with MSFS) and isn’t really being noticed as updated by people? You can use an elevated powershell and see Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers to list them, although it is hard to find install date via that.

Other than that, normal app updates can be listed with a powershell Get-ItemProperty hklm:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | select-object DisplayName, InstallDate.

I don’t know what fixed it, but things like Microsoft Gaming Services etc do update via the Microsoft Store and can do it without appearing in install lists. There could have been a bad interim app update, that got reverted and people are then caught in a time window where MSFS using those dependencies is broken (or rather susceptible to a crash now, even using a live service moreso). An update could have come down and the restart was just the moment it started to get used, hence the reduction of CTDs?

1 Like

That would be a reasonable explanation, except that many of us are running the Steam version and there were certainly no updates installed via that. You can also check Windows update history and you can check modified and created dates on MSFS files. I’ve done all of that, and there were no updates on my machine between a CTD every flight and no more CTDs. Whatever change happened, did not happen on my machine.

4 Likes

Microsoft Game Services etc come down as Store packages on Windows regardless of Steam or MS Store purchases. Those packages aren’t listed in Windows Update history or the ‘Add/Remove Programs’ lists. The MS Store also often waits for a full system restart if a dependency it updated is being used, which would sort of explain what people are seeing.

2 Likes

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.” I think a bit more in-depth explanation would be nice. After they return from Gamescom :slight_smile: They made a great sim (to me the best one) with so many groundbreaking, innovative features. I just hope they can make the sim a bit more stable. I really like this sim.

2 Likes

Im pretty sure gaming service was updated last friday right around when these CTD started

1 Like

So after the 28th (end of gamescom) we will have stable MSFS again, will it? Why are the servers pointed to some machines that are there? Wouldn’t that perception be outrageous?

1 Like

I am getting a CTD every time I fly about 20 Km north of EGNL in UK. Tried with a fast jet but only doing 200kts and then with a CAP10 @ about half that. It seems to “not like” the scenery on the coastof Cumbria.

Gigabyte X299 UD pro + I9 9940X + GeForce RTX 2080Ti + 32Gb Corsair Vengence RAM DDR4 3000Mhz running sim on Win 10 Home premium (Rig watercooled0

Having those since 4 days, sometimes as soon as I get in the menu while other times after 10 minutes of preflight:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.27.16.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.27.16.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001cea644
Faulting process id: 0x1f88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b7eebf2d2b3c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: fdd87a0e-efd6-4bb2-9067-5824c8c5ace4
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
Anyone has any clue?

Problem solved - thank you Asobo.

4 Likes

It isn’t any specific update or updates. It is the update process itself. Microsoft Windows downloads things all the time and sometimes things break that impact apps like MSFS. Running the update process even without pending updates does housekeeping finding and fixing things as needed. Nothing in MSFS was broken. It was something in Windows that MSFS uses that was broken.

4 Likes

Sir I have the same error as this guy and only since Saturday. I think it is related to ntdll.dll otherwise we would have had it before. We only had it starting Saturday, in my case for every single flight right now. Even tried a Windows reinstallation but didn’t work. It clearly is an issue on Asobo’s side.

1 Like

If the error in your event log doesn’t report “ntdll.dll” then it is unrelated.

3 Likes

Having this at every single flight since Saturday. Never had a CTD before.

“is there something we all have in common?” yes probably have online services running, I had constant ctd’s so I disabled online services, ran map enhancer(Bing) and the AIG AI, did five 2 hour flights without one ctd

Ordinarily I would agree although I’m using an update blocker that will stop every communication to MS (wsus/store etc). I’ll update when it suits me thanks :wink: So I know 100% there was nothing updated on my PC between the sim crashing and the sim now not crashing. Do not use defender and make my own arrangements there. The update ‘fix’ was a cover that they hoped would make it appear it wasn’t msfs servers/client.

I am still seeing lots of missing scenery tiles too so something is amiss still…

1 Like