Constant CTD every flight now (ntdll.dll)

They said another thing in another topic. Since a lot of people like me had this only since Saturday (never a single CTD before), they say it’s related.

That´s correct. If they really know about any update to fix the issue they would have specified which KB (which update ID) had to be applied to solve it, don´t you think? They just said “hey guys, run the updates and let´s see if we are lucky”.

The effect of missing scenery is what they are ignoring completely and I can´t really understand why. During the weekend not only the tiles but the complete scenery data was not sent by servers. You faced a completely flat area (no textures, no buildings and no terrain mesh). That was confirmed by several users. However connection to server was still alive.

I can´t understand this situation. Nobody will blame them in case there´s a server issue. Those things can also happen, even on the most reliable servers. What is important is that they debug the error properly so that it never happens again, specially when server/client communication is so critial for this game. I understand that they have to say something but giving as a result of hundreds of posts such a generic solution like the check for updates one is what is not good at all for their image because it seems as if they really had no idea at all of the reason for the error and specially when the error still happened with a fully updated Windows during the weekend.

Everyone understands that they are busy at Gamescom, which is important for their business too. Everyone would also understand that the error is analized after the event or that the error may be even caused by something they prepared just for the demos or that serverrs were just overloaded for whaterver the reason. Nobody will really care about what was the reason provided that is fixed. This is my opinion at least.

Cheers

3 Likes

Hey Folks, This may be totally unrelated but here is what happen over the weekend.
Had one CTD on Friday night. woke up next morning started msfs up there was an update so i updated figured it was a mandatory one. turns out it reverted me back to sim update 9. i didnt leave the beta. So i went back into xbox insiders hub on my pc and had to click the join button again. it went through downloading the beta again restarted msfs and was back to where i was when this latest update was 1.27.16 with no CTD yet fingers crossed still get out of memory issues but i know i have plenty of memory so what ever bug that is.

Which CTD thread should I be in? Crashing 100% of the time in safe mode even. First time launching the sim in several days and I’ve changed nothing.

Windows cannot access the file  for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program FlightSimulator.exe because of this error.

Program: FlightSimulator.exe
File: 

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
	- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
	- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0

Can anyone confirm, does verifying Steam files for MSFS still delete the entire contents of the game? Really hoping to avoid a redownload.

I can verify that sometimes it does and other times it only replaces a few broken files here and there or just the launcher. Your odds are probably 40/60 that it will just replace a few files.

1 Like

Yes, it does, as far as I know.

You missed the most important bit, which was the restart. If you find no updates, you still need to restart.

2 Likes

I am also experiencing CTDs, but how do I know that my problem is related to the (ntdll.dll) file?

Here is what the Windows Logs told me on the Computer Managment program.

Fault bucket 1193770685813505020, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FlightSimulator.exe
P2: 1.26.5.0
P3: 00000000
P4: FlightSimulator.exe
P5: 1.26.5.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000096
P8: 0000000002234dce
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER58F0.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_FlightSimulator._c24815cb575faf1cb7f6f59559d7816c3479ee_6dcb16b3_d00b65c7-67a7-414a-83a7-aaf33c6c0e74

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 3f433fe0-8905-47dd-bf4a-ae73c5c59bf3
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 5df293dc273fa6bb9091201d27303bfc
Cab Guid: 0

Fault bucket 2269984780824208581, type 5
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FlightSimulator.exe
P2: 1.26.5.0
P3: 10.0.19044.2.0.0
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\Users\Komputer\AppData\Local\Temp\RDR4299.tmp\empty.txt
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER429A.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER42CA.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER42F7.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER4317.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 466c8b07-6a6f-43ee-adc2-dd3fee4eb21d
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 1c4cc1595b19ccbbef809b219a91e4c5
Cab Guid: 0

This has been happening since December, and I do not know how to fix the CTDs. I have my NVIDIA driver fully updated (31.0.15.1694) for my RTX 2070SUPER GPU. The problem is that I cannot play this simulator since these crashes occur five minutes into flying. Luckily the flight loads and I am flying, but for a very short time. I also believe I have the latest windows update installed. Any help appreciated.

I am also running my flight simulator on safe mode, I dont have any mod installed anyway since I have removed them since they have been outdated.

Steam never deletes game contents during verification process on any game if they are complete according to the current game build. In case any files/updates are missing or they failed to download correctly during the update they will be downloaded again.

Steam normally runs its own verification after each game update as well anyway. Doing a whole game verification manually does not harm at all.

Cheers

Unfortunately, it still does delete everything sometimes. All Steam knows about is the game itself which is very small. The content of the game however can get deleted. The entire Packages folder. There are posts about it from as recently as last month. I’ve had it happen twice personally. Asobo even acknowledges it happens. I thankfully didn’t need to try it tonight, I ended up getting my sim working again after running DISM and fixing something wrong with the drive.

1 Like

The packages folder is not part of Steam and it’s not part of MS Store either. That’s downloaded by MSFS itself once you execute it and by the content manager and it’s MSFS who checks file consistency of those contents. Both Steam and MS Store only download and check consistency of the exe package and the digital ownership package.

Cheers

There is an issue with this:

Let’s all stay on-topic of this thread.

It is only for CTD on ntdll.dll

3 Likes

My apologies and thanks for moving my thread :+1:

1 Like

Replied there

Cheers

The reason why Steam deletes the majority of the MSFS content is Steambdoesn’t download it. The only but steam downloads is the client, not the content.

The MS Store equivalent is the protected launcher folder, typically on C, and the sim content separate to that, which in my case is on D.

Steam stores the game content that the launcher downloads in the same folder structure I believe. So when you verify it finds the launcher, but then finds all these other folders with planes, airports etc. so it removes them.

The equivalent would be me deleting my “D:\FlightSimulator” folder, then running the launcher, and having to download it all again.

This is what I wrote in the Steam bug thread. For Steam and MS Store the game is just the launcher and the digital ownership, and nothing else than that. It verifies that and it never deletes that. The other files, including all configs, are handled by MSFS and the content manager.

Cheers

Turning online services off and back on fixed this for me instantly so ironically I doubt it’s the servers themselves but rather a (possibly streamed) trigger to how the data gets treated in memory. (beta)

It deletes the file that tells the sim where the official/community folders go. Thats why you are redownloading it when you do that. Its still there on your pc, but the sim isnt aware until you tell it.

2 Likes

Ah, I hadn’t read that. Interesting. But still it appears to be the same cause. The verify process removes any files it is not aware of, and that it did not download.

1 Like