Constant CTD every flight now (ntdll.dll)

Where’s the fix… smh sheesh

1 Like

Have you restarted your computer? Not shutdown, specifically a restart. Also, when was the last time you ran a manual “Check for Updates”? You may want to do that first, then restart.

Something I just thought of, and I’m not sure why it didn’t come to me until now, the post I respond to above prompted it I guess.

For those that don’t believe a simple restart is fixing this, and Asobo must have fixed something on the server side, and are just keeping schtum, why is it some people are still affected by this? If it was server side, it would be fixed for everyone.

Assuming for a moment that the one reported is relevant, of course.

A reminder again to stay on-topic of this thread.

This topic is for a CTD on ntdll.dll.

1 Like

While this is certainly very possible, it doesn’t explain why everyone suddenly started getting CTDs last Friday.

I have restarted computer several times since friday, yes, and I was already using an updated Windows 11 even on friday itself. Indeed the first thing I did, before CM wrote it here, was to check for updates on both Windows and MS Store (that one in case gaming services or Xbox app were causing the error). This does not solve the issue.

Cheers

1 Like

Is your issue specifically the “ntdll.dll” as the faulting module though? If not then it should be reported somewhere other than this thread. You will see this in the Applications Event Log. Look for Event ID 1000.

If you are instead getting the more generic “Flightsimulator.exe” one, with “0xc0000005” as the exception, that is indeed nothing to do with this thread.

1 Like

Dude, this is a waste of time. Other users are confirming as well that the proposed fix is not solving the error. I don’t think anyone here just wants to put devs on a difficult situation just to troll them. We just share our findings.

I have participated on the beta and such error was never reproduced in the beta before either, until friday when it appeared on both SU9 and beta at the same time. Windows and MS Store apps didn’t get any updates. SU9 client has not been modified for months either. The only client which was modified was the beta one. The World Update only modified the POIs and a couple of airports.

Reason can’t be an error clientside. It’s a matter of common sense. And the fix is not solving the error, not because that’s our feeling but because the results of the tests show that is not fixed.

Cheers

3 Likes

So what did your Event Log show specifically? Are you still getting the “ntdll.dll” error?

There isn’t a single cause of crashes, and one CTD is not the same as another. Just paste the output from the event log here so we can see.

Here is my report, from Saturday. I no longer have this issue:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/constant-ctd-every-flight-now-ntdll-dll/537543/157

If you don’t specifically have the line below, then your cause is something else, it is not relevant to this thread, and the fix is not applicable.

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

1 Like

You can try this one, since it makes reference to the ntdll.dll issues as well. In the top right click the magnifying glass then type in kernelbasedll, and you find a bunch of references about it.

@Moridin8615
You are talking about CTD but CTD is common expresion for crash to desktop. Please go to Windows Event Viewer and if you are reporting CDT here send information from log too (or your friends).

About KERNALBASE.dll:
This thread is related to ntdll.dll error. For KERNALBASE.dll use another existed thread or If not exists then you can create new.

And be sure you have Windows up-to-date (mainly Windows Defender)

Windows defender is not the most bug free peace of software.
I’ve had problems with some games in combination with windows defender a number of times over the past few years.
Since the end of last year I have banned this program and switched to F-Secure, since then I had zero problems. It might be worth considering switching to a different anti-virus and firewall program.

As posted many times in this thread, stay on topic of the “NTDLL.DLL” error. All other issues, search the forum for any existing topics. If none are found, create a new topic in #self-service:ctd-help

Future posts to this topic that are not regarding the NTDLL.DLL CTD, will be deleted.

7 Likes

Hello

I also had these CDSs randomly since last week end, due to NTDLL.DLL errors. Had CTDs 2 out of 3 flights in average. All CTDs were due to NTDLL.DLL issues.
I tried the fix proposed at the top of this thread (check for updates manually, restart, turning of fast boot then restart then run MSFS2020) and yesterday I was able to a full flight between LFPO and LFBO, Fenix A320 + addons for both LFPO and LFBO. No crash to report.
I will test some more flights hoping this is solved.

1 Like

GUYS READ CAREFULLY - I MAY HAVE FOUND A FIX
I had since Saturday many crashes, both ntdll.dll and not. I had something similar in the past due to a faulty Nvidia driver but since this time it was way more widespread I couldn’t think it was that. I tried to install July drivers, nothing. I tried to install June drivers, nothing. And then May drivers. All these crashes seem related to a component of the driver that is not working since something that Asobo did on Friday or Saturday. Or at least in my opinion. Right now I am running perfectly fine with May drivers 512.95. No ntdll.dll crashes or any other CTD. It works perfectly. If you have an Nvidia GPU it may be worth giving a shot. Here is the procedure explained:

1. Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and download 512.95 Nvidia Driver.
  2. Put these two programs in a easy to find folder (Desktop for example).
  3. Reboot your system into safe mode (search on the web or on YouTube if you don’t know how to do it, it’s pretty easy)
  4. Once in safe mode launch DDU and click on uninstall drivers without rebooting
  5. Once it finished, reboot your system again into safe mode (DO NOT REBOOT REGULARLY)
  6. Once rebooted into safe mode, install your 512.95 Nvidia Drivers
  7. When finished, reboot in your regular Windows way (from the start menu)

You will be again in regular Windows 10/11 mode (no safe mode) and you should have fixed that. For me it worked. If you need any help you can answer to my comment here, I can try to do a video tutorial if needed. Good luck!

Update: started to crash again this evening. Others can try this as a fix but apparently it is not 100% effective. Sorry :confused:

if users currently not use DDU, then it is not necessary to use it now… try the mentioned restart :wink:

This is what worked for me and some friends. If you want to go on just with the reboot Microsoft said, do it. For me and friends this worked, give it a shot.

just not necessary, because after reboot it was all fine in my case… like in yours, see your point 5 + 7, where you did same :slight_smile:

I think the driver version change is a red herring. I was on 512.95 throughout the CTD period; before last Friday I didn’t have CTDs, I had them during the problem period, and once things had been resolved (by either server-side changes or client rebooting, depending on your opinion), I no longer had them. So being on 512.95 didn’t protect against the CTDs, but neither did it prevent the problem being resolved.

Bear in mind also that the problem started on the same specific day for thousands of people, most of whom had not changed their graphics drivers on that day and most of whom have not changed them since they found things working again either.

7 Likes

I’ve just done a 5 hour flight with no CTD anymore

I did all you said: Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and download 512.95 Nvidia Driver.
and so on… But still CTD’s.