Constant water distortion using DLSS

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes, community folder is empty.

Brief description of the issue:

When using DLSS I am getting constant water disortions. This does not occur with TAA.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

The DLSS screehshots were taken in highest Quality mode.

With DLSS Quality setting - water distortions shown constantly changing in a couple of areas.

Using TAA - No water distortions

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly over water. This was taken at YBCS with a low circling approach over water to land.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Firstly, this was reported in the beta but for some reason the thread was moved to the archives. Perhaps it could be moved back to retain the votes?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dlss-artifacts-flying-over-the-ocean/529136

Secondly, this is not exclusive to DLSS. It also happens with TAA and becomes extremely noticeable with TAAU. The videos I appended to the following post were taken with TAAU.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dlss-artifacts-flying-over-the-ocean/529136/4

1 Like

i have tried so hard to get rid of this water effect. The only time it seems to disppear is if i set it to TAA and 100%. All other settings for me do not get rid of it. Sometimes it just looks the the white noise from a TV (if you are old enough to remember when you had to tune in channels).
TAA 100% kills about 20FPS for me from 50FPS in DLSS.
Its annoying this appeared in Beta and was not fixed and now going over water its really disappoiting and for me personally the worst part of the sim now.

I will note that it appears when you are low - I would say its bad from water level up to about 2/3k?

Yes, but noticeable only when panning. Occurs with TAA but much lesser extent

When there are some ripples on the water, panning the camera shows the artefacts

1 Like

Yes

Any DLSS option with same result

I have this problem too. Please fix it! Thanks

I lowered my screen resolution to half screen size (down from 4k screen) and set TAA to 100% to get rid of it. Direct X 11 or 12 will work this way

It’s been a while since the previous post, but apparently nothing has been done to fix it.

There has been a sim update, and several Nvidia driver updates, but as of today the water distortion with DLSS still remains.

I still hope Devs/Nvidia can do something about it.
In general DLSS in ver. 2 works pretty well and when it happens it’s a serious immersion breaker.

it is just DLSS :wink: 
 a little hack from nvidia and a big portion of advertising and all people think that a “downscale → upscale” thing have not bit negative side-effects :rofl:
PS: also noticable in SuperSampling variants of DLSS

Well yeah this is ugly, but unfortunately, I don’t think this is in Asobo’s hands, it is definitely due to DLSS.

I also have black lines on the water with DLSS, I clearly see the seams between water ‘squares’. And weirdly, I don’t remember it being that bad when DLSS got released.

Can anyone comment if this also happens with the newer Nvidias 4000 series, with DLSS 3.0 ?

Yes, and its been the same for the last many Nvidia drivers plus the current 528.49 out today.

That is why I hate using DLSS 3 but prefer lower FPS with TAA.

Hi

There is ann idea that worked for me,

Also if you are also on 4k screen (do everything in the video but don’t change the sim screen size, leave it at 4k) - worked 100% for me.

Your results may vary.

MSFS 2020: The Holy Grail | The BEST Graphics and Performance You Can Get | DLDSR + DLSS (youtube.com)