Continuous CTDs... solved?

Hi (sorry my english)

I share with you how I solved my CTDs problems in msfs (Steam, PC)… in case it helps.

On my old computer, I had no CTD problem in msfs with Windows 10:
i7 4970K.
RAM 16GB.
GTX 1080Ti.
Windows 10

I updated the PC, and went with Windows 11… but keeping the PSU and the graphics card 1080Ti (waiting for the 3000 series prices to drop or the release of the 4000):

i7 12700K
Z690
RAM DDR5 5600Mhz 64Gb
same GTX 1080Ti
and the old PSU
Windows 11

Then, with this new PC the problems came … continuous CTDs in msfs!! :frowning_face:

So… I read many threads in forums, I saw videos on youtube, and I did a check list:

1.- Test it without inserting any file in the Community folder.
if that works, well, insert some addons or mods little by little and try… to see if the problem is one of the mods that I install.

2.- Uninstall the Logitech applications of the keyboard, the mouse, and several others or that are useless that may come from there the failure.

3.- Try this that I have read in the msfs forum:
Disable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling;
Uninstall PhysX;
Use the Nvidia driver that comes with Windows Update.

4.- Enter the BIOS and lower the RAM frequencies a bit (I saw this solution from a guy on youtube)… now they are at 5600Mhz. I’ll download what I can and try.
If msfs works, then I will go up frequencies until failure again.

5.- Buy and install a good and new Power Supply. That may be the problem… that the PSU does not have the necessary power… The Power Supply that I have now is not one of the best, it is quite simple.

6.- No idea what else to do :sweat:… May be go back to Windows 10??

Well… sections 1th, 2th and 3th were not the solution :worried:

The 4th… YES!!!.. I lowered the RAM frequencies in the BIOS and Boom!!! NO more CTDs!!! :slight_smile:

This made me think that the problem could be the lack of power from the PSU :thinking:

So I went to the 5th point… Change the PSU for a new and better one.
I raised the memory frequencies to 5600Mhz again in the BIOS.
and YESSSS!!! NO MORE CTDs!!! :grinning:

EDIT:

STILL WITH CTD!!! :sob: :sob: :sob:

So I still in the 4th point: LOWER the RAM frecuencies!

Or go to the 6th point: return to WINDOWS 10 !

Microsoft & Asobo… PLEASE! FIX THIS CTDs PROBLEMS!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

EDIT2:

FIXED!!! :smiley: (although I still don’t trust it completely :roll_eyes:)
*Thanks to sexybeast691

The solution was to turn “AI Traffic Offline” = Off.

No more CTDs!!!
and as a bonus, increased the fps by +15 :slightly_smiling_face:.

EDIT3:

NO… CTDs again!!

3 Likes

I hope fortune and new lower prices find a new GPU for you eventually but you have chosen the correct path, CPU over GPU first for MSFS.

I say this as my system is upside down, 9900k with 3080

1 Like

if changing frequency of ram change something on stability way, that’s mean you can stay with native frequency, but set manual voltages for io/sa and may be ram too… but ram voltage is one of things, that’s was tested and used not just from fantasy of engineers. but io/sa especially you use 4 slots of memory can be overvoltaged by auto, and need to be corrected manually… in my case at z390 about 3years i had heavy overvoltage at io and sa and this was ended by black screen and disassembling pc with reup every single stick of ram… and only after that i can start pc and see bios with 4 sticks of memory and then set manually sa and io and then crash mode was back to normal some time instead all the time by any sneeze… don’t sure the problem stay in z690, but think it’s can be checked easy… just open bios at sa io voltages and change auto to manual you will see what voltages right now, after you change to manual and type same voltage what exist in auto you will see white or red color. if auto voltage number is read that’s mean problem still there and they overvolt that’s parameters
you can see there 1.3+ volts but normally both hasn’t be bigger than 1.25

1 Like

I have no idea about overclock, voltages, etc :sweat:… I only use the Profiles in the BIOS within the Basic Setup:
Profile 1 : 5600 Mhz.
Profile 2 : 5200 Mhz.
Profile 3 : 4800 Mhz.

But I will take a look what you say about Auto/Manual…

In any case, with the new PSU, the CTD is fixed… or so I hope :sweat_smile:.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

psu can change nothing if problem was in ram. because ram is last thing what eat power. but problem could be more complicated if ram line was overstressed by something else. or just unstable line… time or another factor… psu is not thing that’s could save your money. if you can get platinum or titan certified 850 w it’s will better than 1200 bronze sure if your system will eat not more than 600w then you have to get 1000 gold lol… but better take minimum platinum and only after look tests results…a gaming pc can live with almost any power supply, but a sim pc only with the very best one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes… the new PSU is a Plus Platinum 1000w… I think is good one :slightly_smiling_face:.
Thanks.

1 Like

in any way… just keep in mind most of psu has best performance and efficient at 50-60% some at 75 so overkill is o.k. but not necessary:) all that info you can found in tests about every good psu

ContrivedTea… I didn’t find those options in my BIOS…

I cant see CPU SA Voltage nor CPU IO Voltage… I dont know where they are :frowning:

May be this is the problem… the voltages…
becouse when I lower the RAM frecuency, msfs seems to be fine (but i don’t trust anymore… i need to check it more)

■■■■ I was so happy for this thread

If you could post your specific motherboard so others smarter than me can understand your specific bios options this may help. Some boards have options that others do not so this could be helpful?

sa or and io can be called another way in different system, some time need use advanced mode in bios settings for extend options
just google it, i know no more than you. things what people do without understanding, like i do in pc. this is not a knowledge. just doing something that seen or read about lol

The mother board is:
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master.

RAM:
Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MT/s DDR5 CL40 DIMM.

I am back to point 4th… lower the RAM frecuencies:
5600 = CTD; 5400 = CTD; 5200 = OK!

So I will go with 5200MHz… by now,… i think msfs works with this.

I will let you know of any changes…

Thanks!

P.s… If i can check that with a setting of RAM in BIOS to 5200MHz no CTDs anymore, then the problem not come from Microsoft or Asobo… its from my PC.

Just take a look at the gigabyte web page and download the latest bios. Maybe that will help.

The bios is updated… It was the first thing I did ;).

Well… the system is stable with mem frecuency set to 5333MHz. The stress mem test is ok… no fail. If i rise the frecuency more than that, i get a fail test. So this must the reason becouse i had CTDs in msfs.

So… If i have some CTD now, the problem is from msfs, no my fault… I suppose… :roll_eyes:

Update! I had CTD :confused:

Buuut… I just read a thread about nvidia drivers 516.xx and problems in games with graphic cards GTX 10xx series (mine is a 1080Ti)…

May be this is my problem?? :thinking:

So I just install the nvidia driver 512.95 to see what happen… :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :pray:

I let you know…

Fail!! CTD!! :tired_face:
Tested with nvidia drivers 512.95, 512.77, 512.59 = CTDs!
of course, with new drivers 516.xx also CTDs!

I removed the MsiAfterburner too and nothing, CTDs as well.

So conclusion: the fault is not mine… it’s not my computer!
It is something that Microsoft and Asobo must to solve!

this is very frustrating! I’m very disappointed!

Please… Microsoft and Asobo, FIX these CTDs problems!!!

My PC:
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z690
i7 12700k
DDR5 64Gb (2x32)
GTX 1080Ti
Corsair HX1000
Windows 11

@Jarinawer what are your AI traffic settings? Do you have AI Offline traffic, Live Traffic or No Traffic?

I think that it was set to ‘IA Offline Traffic’…

Try turning the traffic slider down to 15%. Anything above 15% for me usually ends in CTD. Also try Live Traffic, although the behaviour of live traffic is abnormal

1 Like

Man! I think you’ve hit the nail on the head!! :smiley:

IA Offline Traffic = Off

I’ve spent an hour with the simulator trying to “break it” (entering to flight, changing cameras, exiting to the menu, flying again, etc) and it hasn’t given me any CTD!
And on top of that, the performance of my PC has increased… +15 fps! :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thank you so much!!! :+1: :raised_hands:

But I still don’t want proclaim a victory!.. I still don’t fully trust this msfs :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I approached CTD’s like this: I know how unstable AI traffic made FSX.
I had 1000’s of liveries and flight plans for AI traffic in FSX and when ever I had a CTD I could fairly easily find the cause being a problematic flight plan or livery.

I haven’t done much with flight plans and AI traffic in MSFS, but I have taken a look at how it works and the Offline AI Traffic system is virtually the same as FSX.

My personal opinion: “Bad” AI Traffic flight plans/data (like no destination, aircraft unable to do approach, unable to climb/descend to certain altitude, livery problem etc etc…) make MSFS CTD, or cause an error within the sim that makes it unstable and then something else causes a CTD.

2 Likes