Control Options Lockable vs unlockable?

I’m trying to understand the difference between controls that are labelled with and without (lockable). Does anyone know what this means?

Examples
Control Options>Camera>Cockpit Camera
Zoom cockpit view vs Zoom cockpit (lockable)

Control Options>Miscellaneous
Cockpit interaction - primary vs Cockpit interaction - primary (lockable)

There are numerous examples like these above, it’s a shame there doesn’t seem to be any documentation explaining the difference. Anyone figured this out? Thanks

I use the Lockable Zoom and bind it to my scroll wheel. The “lockable” part means you hold a button down to be able to use that function. So in order for me to zoom my camera I have to hold right mouse click down, then use scroll wheel. Its nice so i don’t accidently zoom in or out while trying to adjust avionics knobs and such.

1 Like

Thanks, how do you bind whatever you need to hold to use that function? So say only zoom with scroll wheel when locked with right mouse click down, what’s the corresponding control that you set for right click down? Thanks again.

So i’m not 100% sure on this, but I think the keybinds that have “(Hold)” at the end of them are the buttons that you hold to change the “(Lockable)” actions.

So in the first picture, I have the Toggle Cockpit View Freelook (hold) set to right mouse click, which effects the Zoom Cockpit (Lockable).

So while using the hold right mouse click, the scroll wheel will adjust the lockable zooms.

Honestly, it’s not very well explained. I haven’t played around with it too much, other than setting up zooms that worked only when holding a button. Not sure if you can do more with the system.

2 Likes

As far as I understand it it‘s only of value if you want to use the mouse to look around so you can basically say that when using the „lock“ button (right click in xour case) the mouse doesn‘t work as a view system anymore but as a switch controller. With an xbox controller it would mean that you look around with one of the thumb sticks and if you press the lock button you can utilize the cursor as a finger so to say.

If you for example use a hatbutton or any head tracking it‘s rather disturbing and should be set to „legacy“.

Cheers for the screenshots, it is a bit of a mess I think partly due to the naming and descriptions of the controls (“Toggle the lock/unlock of the cockpit view lockable eyepoint controls” - my head hurts just from reading that :sweat_smile:) but also to be fair it does get quite complicated rather quickly. I’ve found there can be multiple toggles (in green) for lockable controls (in red). It’s a shame the descriptions don’t simply state what the toggles are even if unassigned. COCKPIT INTERACTION - PRIMARY ACTION (LOCKABLE) I haven’t been able to find what is the toggle for this and a few other lockable controls.

I think you might be right it does seem to be all about views, cockpit interactions and sharing a control between the two modes.

I’m using an Xbox controller with the default config, and I’m trying to implement cockpit zoom.

I can’t manage it.

Controls set as follows

zoom cockpit (lockable) as D-Pad UP
Unzoom cockpit (lockable) as D-Pad DOWN
Toggle cockpit view freelook (Hold) as LB

I also have RB free which I can use as a modifier but not sure which command works with the above lockable zoom and unzooms.

The zoom and unzoom NOT lockable controls work, but as I only have one RB free I’d prefer to use it as a zoom modifier.

Can anyone assist?

I fumbled around quite a while to figure out, what the ‘lockable’ means and how I can use the numerous options, but after quite some effort I gave up.

Honestly, I find it very poor that so many functions are so poorly documented.

Given that designers and developers have spent much time and energy to implement these functions, why on earth can’t they just spend some more energy in some explanations to give us (thousands of paying customers) a chance to use these funtions??? :rage:

3 Likes

The description reads as follows “Lockable controls can be locked / unlocked”

Woah, great job Microsoft.

2 Likes

Same problem. I want to use the lockable controls unlocked as I only use Xbox controller for cameras. Cannot figure it out. Very confusing.
Edit: OK I eventually figured this out. In order to control your cockpit camera so it functions the same as a drone camera inside the cockpit with the Xbox controller, map the following to your left thumbstick (avoid anything that says lockable):
Translate cockpit view right LTH-r
Translate cockpit view left LTH-l
Translate cockpit view forward LTH-f
Translate cockpit view backward LTH-b
Increase cockpit view hight LT
Decrease cockpit view left RT