Control sensitivity after update 5

In my case, with the first flight in the latest full build, the C172 appeared to be drunkenly glued to the runway, ailerons seemed to move through syrup, elevators wanted nothing to do with going “up”; it was absolutely uncontrollable in the air, and that damned autopilot was back to its kamikaze dive-n-die routine from the moment it was activated in a last ditch attempt to save the situation.

These are all gone now.

I suggest, as others have discovered and eluded to in earlier posts, that it’s reasonable now, and in fact totally appropriate, to set all values on the Sensitivity screen back to Zero. Don’t fly immediately after doing this but instead save the settings and restart the sim. Reasons for this will be explained below.*

Now fly something, see how it goes. If all’s well, adjust sensitivities to suit personal preferences.

However…if for some reason this didn’t work, then add this step: Close the sim. Remove all of your flight devices from the Windows Control Panel / Hardware view and reboot. (Don’t worry, this step is harmless. It merely forces Windows to reload the USB drivers for these devices as if it had never seen them before.) Now try the sim again. Hopefully, as in my case, you’re back to happy. If not, follow Jessica Chastain’s lead in “The Martian” and continue to “Work the problem, people.”.

• = To me, there appears to be a serious and too-often disruptive conflict between startup in the sim, its loading of default and saved configurations, and the suddenly-abrupt introduction of the first physical movement from our control devices. These inputs immediately override and potentially damage the seemingly stable tranquility that existed just a fraction of a second before. If the value difference is minor - the simplest case, very little happens. If substantial - the worst case, all hell breaks loose. We are left in the aftermath to determine WTF just happened!

The mixture control is a perfect example of what I’m suggesting. When you shut down your engine to complete your last flight you naturally pulled it all the way back to cut off the fuel and you would in real life. And there it stayed until your next flight.

Within the sim, the situation is different. When you press Fly Now, the engine is typically already running so life seems good. If it isn’t, you press Ctrl-e, the throttle and mixture knobs move around nicely and the engine comes to life. Yay! But hey, it never should’ve started. Why? Because your physical mixture knob is fully back – there’s no fuel. Until you move the mixture knob (or any control at all), the sim has no way of knowing where it is set. Once you move the mixture knob the slightest amount, the sim receives a value that says fuel is cut off so it kills the engine. “Dam it!”, you say: “It’s another !@# bug!”. Uh, no.

Consider applying this thought as you encounter issues with say, the actual DG bug’s location (and what the sim ‘thinks’ or infers that it is) when you start using it with the autopilot. Apply the same thought with what the simulator ‘believes’ about the trim wheel and how it appears to us. It controls and sets what we see, but cannot actually verify the result as we do - visually. We contrarily depend on what we see and feel, and have zero ability to know the internal values. The sim can also change an objects appearance in a fraction of a second – trim wheel full up or down - something we humans know is impossible and find totally confusing.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I would - if I knew how. I would think that removing the device (the old quad) would have stopped it sending information. It obviously didn’t. If I open the yoke (not inclined to do that) I wouldn’t know what to cut. 100% dead zone was easy Peazy!

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.
I don’t suggest modifying your control. I suggest modifying the setting in MSFS.
On the same page you found the ‘Sensitivities’ setting, click on the name of your controller, make sure that ‘Assigned’ is selected under ‘Filters’ on the left then in the ‘Search by name’ box under ‘Search’, type “axis”.
You will see all the axis that have bindings listed under your controller. Click on the axis that you adjusted the dead zones to 100% and select ‘Clear current input’ and validate. Careful not to clear any that you ARE using.
By removing the bindings set by default for those missing axis will eliminate any chance that there is ANY interference or erroneous readings passed to the simulator.
Be sure to save the settings when you exit the screen.

Regardless of how your aircraft actually feel, there are things horribly wrong the joystick sensitivity option settings doing that maps axis input to axis output.

-Setting the same % sensitivity for the + and - motion of an axis does not produce the same output vs input curve. It’s asymmetric! This makes no sense whatsoever.

-At -ive sensitivity settings beyond about -50%, the output vs input curve takes on a wavy shape such that the output will actually go DOWN with increased input axis deflection, then it will rapidly go back up again . This makes 0 sense whatsoever.

I honestly can’t believe someone approved this to ship with these two basic issues present. It’s totally, 100% broken.

I’m starting to feel like we should stop asking Asobo to look into things, because their ‘fixes’ tend to actually make things worse.

3 Likes

Okay - Thanks. I wasn’t aware of that! Going to the basement now! Thanks again!

1 Like

THIS. Real aircraft flight controls are normally absolutely linear. A specific amount of yoke deflection in either pitch or roll axes will produce a specific amount of deflection of elevators or ailerons every time. But the amount of deflection actually needed to produce a specific pitch or bank angle very much depends on airspeed. At low speed you might need a significant rotation of the yoke left or right to initiate a bank to a specific angle. At high speed, you might be able to produce the same bank by simply applying left or right pressure on the yoke with little or no obvious movement.

This has always been a problem for typical desktop flight simulators, and typical flight sim yokes or rudder pedals. I’ve never used a force feedback yoke or joystick, but I understand that they do at least somewhat simulate the “stiffening up” of the controls with increasing airspeed.

Rather than a standardized sensitivity curve, what is really needed is a way to make control sensitivity change dynamically with airspeed. But that runs into the problem that most flight sim controllers do not have enough fine-grained resolution to produce a significant change in response with small movement at higher airspeeds. That would lead to “twitchiness” and over-controlling.

The aircraft .cfgs have an option to change the response/authority of control surfaces based on speed. This can be tuned there on a per aircraft basis (and is likely what they changed on the 5 aircraft updated in the recent patch)

If the aerodynamic code actually worked properly the reduced control authority would be a natural consequence of reduced dynamic pressure at lower speeds, but apparently that part of the flight model doesn’t work properly so there is a kludged on table to adjust it.

Not only that, in my case MSFS is crashing to desktop now after the update installation.

That approach only shows the two axes (pitch and roll). The others only show up in the sensitivities adjustment page. Just to make sure, I reset those three “ghost” axes back to zero dead zone and they still don’t show up so I put them back to 100%. That works so I’m okay now, but thanks anyway.

That is a good thing. That means that they aren’t bound to a control.

1 Like

Focusing on the practical side, before the last update I flew the Cessna 152 without any problems, being able to perform smooth takeoffs and landings and a sense of reality that gave me a lot of fun at FS 2020. After the software update, although it was possible to get a good calibration for the “x” and “z” axes, it was not possible to obtain a minimally acceptable calibration for the “y” axis (elevator), which ends the fun, as it impacts takeoffs, landings, aircraft trimming and coordinated curves. What a pity!

I had that problem too. I found he aircraft model wasn’t set to ”modern”. What a difference! Having fun again!

Yeah, this new “curve” is atrocious. That kink they threw in after the wavy bit is right at small GA stall horn and making bush flying completely unenjoyable now. Now when i come in to land in a tight spot and flare, I can’t slow it down and ease it into the horn for a smooth and slow 3pt touch down, or even 2pt in the c152 for that matter it just goes from silent to WAH. I would prefer wwwaahHHHH to touch down instead lol i laugh but I’m crying inside until they fix it :pensive:

All I want is full range of my levers, not just the middle half. Top and bottom, fully 25% of the leaver is dead zone. Micro adjustments of my power lever gets really old after awhile. And don’t give me any malarky about my controller being at fault… it worked fine in all other sims to date. Thanks for nothing Asobo…

1 Like

yup, us gamepadders are now limited to 50 to 70% (if you move it just right) of our already short, joystick movement. i just cant fathom it, first the rudder oof and now this? just wish i didnt give them so much of my money already.

If you are still not happy with the control sensitivity overall - like me - feel free to give the thread in the Bugs & Issues section an upvote:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sensitivity-control-surface-authority/310521/11

1 Like

Although I’m retired, in theory, time should not be a problem. After trying to get my controls sorted after this latest update to even remotely feel like real flying… it’s been impossible. If I want to fly its x plane for me. I have lost the will to live.
Disappointed

But it literally isn’t, I can’t fly now. I could fly just fine before with some sensitivity adjustments, but nothing i do takes the kink out of that new curve rendering the entire thing useless for bush flying (as that is all i do). Just sitting here hoping they fix their fix for the thing that didn’t need fixed. Atleast allow an option to use the old sensible curve ffs.

1 Like

I’ve posted about sensitivity a few times and they even mentioned one of their items to fix was the in-game FLIGHT CONTROL SENSITIVITY. They have said it is now fixed, but all they did was add some more “curve” options and I’m not repurchasing the game until this is fixed and there is no way its gunna make it to consoles with this problem either. The issue isn’t and has never been the curve, which does nothing more than assign a position to the in-game flight control’s position depending on the position of your input device. Eg: move your joy or thumbstick 30% to the left and the in-game flight control will move instantly where you have set the curve to, maybe 20% of the flight control’s movement.

What they actually need is a sensitivity option that slows the movement of the in-game flight control… that’s it, plain and simple. Eg: if you move your joy or thumbstick 100% to the left, the flight control will EVENTUALLY get to 100%, maybe within a 1/4 or 1/2 of a second or whatever speed (sensitivity) you set it to. This is what occurs in FSX and countless driving games. Currently in MSFS, the in-game control moves INSTANTLY to the position relative to the curve you have, which makes moving your controller or bumping your desk have more affect on the plane than the wind.

(I’m just chiming in because I want this game to kick ■■■ because the potential is massive and I want to get the wheels turning on this issue.

Slowing down the motion of the flight controls was a really bad idea in FSX.
It induces PIOs (pilots induced oscillations) due to the delayed input, that’s all.

The way it is now is a 100% better compromise (which is always needed IMO if the joystick travel is shorter than the real worlds stick/yoke)

1 Like