Control sensitivity way to sensitive, same for trim wheel

Starting to wonder if this issue isn’t how different device types and input methods interpret the act of trimming, all my planes trim really well (The xcub is the total opposite takes forever to trim).

Last night, I was in the C152 and watching the trim wheel on the dash as I applied the dual switches assigned on the Left end of my Honeycomb Alpha Yoke. When I tapped quickly, the trim wheel moved a smidgen (that’s a tiny amount for the non-Okies out there), multiple taps moved the wheel multiple smidgens… but if I held the switch down for more than a second, that trim wheel takes off like a buzz-saw.

I think this exponential movement over time is the real culprit here.

Can’t wait for my pre-ordered Bravo Throttle Quadrant to show up, with it’s shiny trim wheel.

Jim-Sim

5 Likes

In flying the C152/C172/Aero, it takes me a while to get the trim set correctly. It is very, very slow to take effect, and I have better success getting close, and then adjusting with throttle. I think this Sim is way more sensitive, but think you can tone down how that is in the controls part. MS has a joystick calibration program as well, and I found the Logitech calibration and the MS calibration were vastly different, the MS one was much better. Try recalibrating your stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hadn’t spent any time with calibration, as it wasn’t until last night that I even noticed the behavior.
Since the switches have no particular “Axis” to adjust (they’re either on or off), I’m not sure if there is an actual calibration that can be adjusted, but I’ll look into it this weekend.

Thanx,
Jim-Sim

Same issue. Thrustmaster something something… T16000.M

Trim adjustment is terrible, bugged on multiple levels.

One, it’s often hard to tell inside many of the cockpits what the trim is currently set to. I end up going to the exterior view just to see if I’ve adjusted something.

General usability comment - Very few people are playing in VR. We need better feedback mechanisms to know that we adjusted certain controls that aren’t easy to “see” when your view does not happen to be fixated on a specific place when you issue the command. Trim is a good example of this, when in cockpit views.

The range of trim adjustment is so large, or far too granular perhaps, that I’d swear some new grad made typos in the code. You need to hold the button down for like 20 seconds for the trim to visually reach the max/min trim level. Again note you can only really see this in the hud of the exterior view.

But despite that, yes, 99% of the range of trim adjustment appears to have zero purpose. The moment you adjust trim it sends your plane drastically upwards or downwards, by amounts that do not appear at all consistent with the range of trim adjustment suggested by the visual range presented to you.

How many different teams worked on trim? It only really requires one developer you know.

4 Likes

Yesterday arvo I dug out my Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel that hasn’t been used for 7 years and plugged the thing in. Wasn’t expecting much but MSFS did recognise what it was although there was nothing assigned to it. After a bit of trial and error I got it up and running. by assigning it to Elevator Trim Axis (-100 to 100%)

Works really well and moving up or down doesn’t have anymore jerks like I used to when pushing the joystick keys on the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I think as previously mentioned the buttons on the joystick cause drastic upwards or downwards movement when you keep them down for too long.

Hope that helps.

Just dancin on the pedals and BAM

2 Likes

The key/button driven trim is so bad in FS2020 that I am building a trim wheel based on the potentiometer type that the Cessna-branded trim wheel uses, connected to an Arduino Leonardo that easily acts as a USB controller. Super-simple build under $30 USD- just waiting on a shaft coupler so that I can attach a large wheel (plastic jar lid) to the potentiometer. It works now, but turning the little potentiometer shaft without a wheel on it makes it hard to dial in the trim.

I will post some details once I am done.

Thanks. Calibration is for controls with an axis. I’m using a Point of View (POV) hat which is basically a switch that you can hold down or tap. No calibration for that. No sensitivity adjustment either.

I think I will switch from that to a wheel that’s on my throttle quadrant (like WildDoktor except a TM Warthog Throttle) and see if that works better. I can create a sensitivity curve on that one that might help out.

I’ve been “flying” the C152 daily since Aug 18th with no issues trimming. It has to be a temporary glitch or a calibration issue. I mentioned on a couple of other posts today, that I had some problems getting the initial mapping set up to save properly - I had to reprogram a few times on certain functions before it stayed saved.

I am using an Alpha yoke, Saitek/Logitech throttle quadrant, and MFG Crosswind pedals.

If there’s no way to calibrate it’s not a calibration issue. And if it’s been there since August 18th it’s not temporary. There’s enough other people reporting this issue that it’s got to be something in their configuration/flight characteristic data or software that’s off a bit. It’s bad enough for me that my whole experience with the sim is diminished as I am constantly screwing around with trim. I do not have this issue with any other flight sims so it’s not my controllers.

brianprice49 - I just saw where you are using your hat switch as the trim switch. I have been using the T1 & T2 buttons successfully for trimming on the Saitek tq. I’ve had this issue in others sims. I just made an adjustment in the [flight tuning] section.

Hope you can get your equipment sorted out…

Its the opposite for me, I have to click the you know what out of my trim switch to make a difference

It is a bit touchy if you hold it though, I will admit that. Doesn’t do much for about half a second and them BAM it takes off lol.

2 Likes

I had to calibrate the Logitech 3D Pro JS I’m using. Some buttons were not mapped correctly, and I wanted it to match the same settings I had in FSX. I still think it’s more sensitive in FS–2020 than in FSX. But before I mess up something, I am going to try to get used to it. Eventually, I hope to have the Honeycomb throttle and the yoke setup, then I will worry about calibration in the game with those.

Same issue, Logitech G940

For those of you happy with delving into the file system, the trim calibration can be changed manually in the file : “flight_model.cfg”. The parameters are (for example):

elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.25
aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1
rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.5

Save a backup (just in case), then reduce these as necessary, perhaps as low as 0.1.

This file can be found in the relevant aircraft folder, eg:

\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\MSFlightSim\Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-208b-grand-caravan-ex\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_208B_GRAND_CARAVAN_EX\flight_model.cfg

The folders are hidden, so you may need to type %AppData% into the address bar of windows explorer to see the folders.

For some planes, these parameters may be in a “generic” plane folder. And yes, I’m sorry but you will have to change the file for each plane you fly.

For all those with a Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas. (Far from top of the range.) Trim assigned to what is normally the rudder control paddle on the throttle works brilliantly. A few minor sensitivity changes later and it’s perfect.

I was having similar issues. I switched from Legacy to Modern in the settings and it totally fixed it.

Same here, rw pilot . I want to fly not auto pilot my way around. Great scene out the window. To bad I like to fly inside the plane

Yeah - unfortunately what we want and what we actually got are not the same in some cases. So I make adjustments hoping flying life will improve eventually, meanwhile I have some level of fun. Everyone’s experience and willingness to accommodate some obvious issues with this product will be different. I like to avoid situations where I’m gritting my teeth most of the time, so occasional AP is a solution for the time being. Mostly use it for cruising so I can enjoy the scenery without becoming part of it.