Controllers

How do you add a Logictech Force 3D PRO controller? MSFS sees it but does not assign controls to it. Second question how do you identify the control surface with the controller button/stick/throttle etc.?

I had something similar happen while experimenting with a different controller (which is not, apparently, supported). See if you can reset the controller’s profile (through the control settings in-game) to default - that should make the bindings show up. As for your second question, I’m not entirely sure what you mean - but you should be able to bind those to whatever you want once the first part’s fixed.

Welcome! Unfortunately a lot of popular peripherals don’t have default “Profiles” set up with bindings. The good news is that the sim recognizes your controller. The bad news (as you’ve already figured out) is that you need to manually bind all your inputs.

There are a lot of threads already on how to set up “blank” controllers. You will definitely want to go to the Forum Self Service > Peripherals category! Look for threads related to Saitek and Ch Products controllers - a lot of them don’t come with default profiles. The specific hardware isn’t important. What you are looking for are the MSFS commands you want to bind to your controller and the process to bind it to specific physical inputs (hint - you don’t have to do this by entering the input number or description - you can do it by physically activating the control). If you get totally stuck, look for posts under my user ID.

There are also some good online references and tutorials to help you learn the Controls binding screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxVJXS6NlM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DXdGaRgnhU

FInally here are my generic controller setup “tips”. I hope some of this helps! Rick

• The Filter defaults to “Assigned” which only shows the commands that are currently bound to the selected controller. If the controller doesn’t have default bindings, you won’t see anything! To see all the commands, change the filter to “All”. To see a recommended set of starting commands select “Essential”. The “Search By Name” will let you narrow down the (very long!) list of commands. Helpful Name searches are “Axis” (see below) and the various views “Cockpit”, “Instrument”, “Drone”, “External”.
  • To bind an input (button, switch, slider, axis) you don’t need to know the actual input number for your controller. MSFS can recognize the input just by activating it during binding. When you click on a command, it will bring up the “binding window”. Click on the space that says “Search By Input” and it will light up. Now physically activate the input on your controller. The space should fill in with the input number. Click “Validate” to complete the binding.
  • All “linear” controls need to use the “AXIS” commands, not the basic commands. That is the issue you are having with your control inputs. This includes control surfaces, engine controls (throttle, etc), brakes, etc. Basically anything that needs proportional input will use the “Axis” version of the command.
  • Unless you have a complex throttle quadrant with multiple throttles, make sure you bind your Throttle to the “Throttle Axis” command and not any of the numbered Throttles. This will control all throttles on multi-engine aircraft simultaneously.
  • My example has the “Hat” control bound to the “Quickview” camera controls. These are the ones that snap back to center. If you would rather have the Hat do smooth panning, use the “Cockpit Look” commands and not the Quickview ones.
  • You can actually access and change Control bindings while inside the live sim (use Esc to get to the main menus). This is helpful if you are trying to fine tune or debug things.
  • You can create multiple binding Profiles for each of your Controllers. This is helpful if you want to map your controls differently for different aircraft. It is also useful if you need to adjust the Sensitivity settings differently for different aircraft. Just make sure you select the correct Profile for each session.
  • I have not used any external controller management or calibration applications or drivers. If you do, your mileage may vary! For sure any control input assignments you make outside MSFS will not carry through inside the sim. The CH Manager application has caused problems for some users of CH products.
  • Adding an Xbox Game Controller (wired or wireless) makes controlling the Drone Cam and Slew really easy and intuitive! MSFS immediately recognizes it and sets up all the bindings by Default.

I own this same joystick, and it is automatically configured. However I now use the TCA sidestick.

you just have to assign keys and axis yourself. then adjust the sensitivity of each axis. that worked well with my logitech force 3d pro.

And what about functional commands with the mouse but not found to be assigned with a key / button/ switch/ potentiometer? ( like carb heat, Garmin zoom in or out, Garmin right inner and outer potentiometer, timer, OAT, etc)