Convair B-58 Hustler under development

The next step will be to “bake” all the new procedural textures into “static” textures, since I don’t think MSFS can handle this kind of effects.
This will require unwrapped, non-overlapping UV maps, multiple textures for each layer, geometry transformations applied (generating more poligons) and so on.
I tested some very detailed planes on the market, and normally I get a bad drop on framerates… I would like to find a reasonable balance between details and framerate.

6 Likes

Thanks for the great updates @Airmax514! This continues to grow into an amazing aircraft you are putting together. Like others, if there is any way to support the development we would love to know. We share your enthusiasm!

3 Likes

Hi @DenverZman thanks! As you can see from my last images, I need some help for improving the textures of my planes, it’s very hard to obtain realistic materials and knobs, switches, panels and so on.
I have tried using substance painter, but it’s all but easy to learn, at least for me…
and I am trying to obtain the same results by using blender shader nodes.
The rest of the plane is working fine, instruments are Ok, most of the controls and indicators are functional, @Marcoflyer68 is doing a great job with flight model and engines, soon we will be starting the beta testing for the B58.
Positive feedback from other simmers is already a support for us, thanks to all and please keep on posting your comments!

7 Likes

Awesome shot, looks great.

2 Likes

Yes I can imagine the amount of work and learning - following the likes of Momo, Raul, and FlyingFries as they worked on their plane was eye opening at the sheer volume of things requiring development from scratch. This plane is so iconic you will get downloads like crazy when done :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Long road on the way of learning realistic wear-and-tear materials in blender…

13 Likes

There is an app on both the apple and android webstore called Cockpit360 this has some good images on the three seats in the Hustler. It has nearly complete 360 views for lots of aircraft. so i recommend it just in general for example:

Hope this helps a little.

4 Likes

This is excellent! No way to have this on a PC ?
I found the XB70 360 cockpit on the museum site, and there should be also the B58 but I can’t find them any longer and unfortunately when they were available I didn’t take screenshots :frowning:
Now I MUST find those images, they will be of huge help.

May have been mentioned elsewhere and apologies if it has, but there is a book (I have had it on Kindlefor several years) “The B58A supersonic strategic bomber” by Phil Rowe. Memories of an ex Hustler crewmember, which may have some useful info or background info for those interested.

1 Like

There is a website but it seems to have been compromised by malware, so I do not recommend visiting it. It is the “National Museum of the United States Airforce”. I won’t link it. but a google search of that term will let you find it, use at your own risk.

1 Like

There are Android emulators that you could install the would allow you to use the app on your pc.

1 Like

Yeah that seems a good idea, I’ll try, I really need to access the 360° view of the 3 cockpits, it would be really helpful! So bad they removed the version accessible through windows browser…

The museum itself was compromised by a tornado last night. Waiting to hear the extent of the damage.

1 Like

Oh… this is sad, I hope the buildings stood safe, probably there were planes also outside, that museum collects a wide part of the aeronautical technology produced by U.S.A. (and not only) in the last… 70 years, or maybe more…!

Definitely undertook damage to some of the outdoor aircraft. Some buildings are in rough shape, but I’m not sure if they house exhibits and/or what kind of damage was done inside.

It appears a restoration hangar got hit, but not the museum proper. The museum itself was said to be open today.

3 Likes

Makes sense - those damaged airframes look like they were awaiting restoration.

Not sure if this link will be approved, but pictures posted by the base of the damages and the dillegent workers cleaning up. (click picture that will take you to their flickr-album-page)
That hangar took quite a beating, but apparently only a bleriot got some tears in it’s fabric… the B17 inside (the Swoose?) was okay. And the airframes outside were “waiting for disposal” (?) according to an article i read.

anyways… quite a bit of damage to repair, then again, they are in the business of restorations, so i’m pretty sure they’ll manage.

Great work so far Airmax and MarcoFlyer! Looking forwards to more updates! :slight_smile:

Woof ~ Woof & Salute!

Steiny

1 Like

Oh, that must have been a serious storm indeed… what a destruction. So bad to see this museum hit so hard. Hope that they’ll be able to restore most of the damages soon.

2 Likes

That 104 is in sad shape but there are still 104s out there so not the end of the world. Although that was a two-seater. Glad the stuff inside is in relatively good shape!

I really am looking forward to your B-58 - I LOVE that bird! It’s looking great too!

2 Likes