Correct time to request clearance for takeoff?

Hi

I normally taxi to and hold short of the runway and request clearance for takeoff and get cleared for takeoff response.

Should I make the request when Im lined up on the runway though?

1 Like

You are doing it correctly. If other planes are approaching landing you will be told to wait. You should not go onto the runway without clearance.

3 Likes
  1. Do your flight checks, startup, flight plan
  2. Listen to the ATIS, Request taxi to active runway
  3. Taxi and HOLD SHORT of assigned runway (DO NOT enter runway unless told to “Line up and wait” by atc)
  4. Request a takeoff clearance, then enter runway for takeoff AFTER cleared

Hope this helps :blush:

2 Likes

As DorchFlyer said, you are doing it correctly. You should call tower when you reach the hold short line, and are ready for takeoff - and the option the request takeoff clearance won’t appear in the ATC menu until you are relatively close to the line.

In the real world, you do NOT want to enter the runway environment at a towered airport without clearance from the tower.

1 Like

You may receive a rare exception - “Line up and wait” which means you can roll onto the Active, and take position on the numbers for take-off, but not take off. It’s happened to me a few times, when I’ve been sequenced behind a departing AI plane (yes, it can happen) and/or an AI plane on long Final.

2 Likes