Corsair iCue integration

I wanted to link FS to a Corsair iCue custom profile, so that when I launch FS, iCue will ramp up the case fans speed to help with the cooling.
iCue does offer an easy way to do this, when editing a profile, in which we basically just have to link one app by browsing and choosing its executable exe file.

The issue is that the MS Store Flight Simulator version keeps the executable file inside the locked “Windowsapps” folder.
Even following the steps to gain access to this folder, iCue still can’t link FS executable.

Now, I was wondering if together with FS there would be another windows process launched automatically in the background (as long it’s not inside “windowsapps” folder), that I could link to iCue, to be used as an indication that FS was launched, instead of doing it directly with the FS executable which can’t be accessed.

Any suggestions ? Thanks

Why not just set the temps in iCue to up the fan speed when they increase? So “any” heavy process will benefit.

I wanted to try this time, linking the speed of the case fans to any game that is launched, and setting them to a fixed rpm. More than the noise itself, it’s the constant speed change that I find more disturbing and distracting, especially the case fans.

The CPU and GPU fan speeds are not controlled by iCue and will still go up and down as necessary.

1 Like

Agreed.
The air temperature fluctuations inside the case always occur much slower than the actual load and heat generated, and are difficult to track, and humans are sensitive to noise fluctuations caused by fans.

I think a profile of applications launched and fan speeds is about as practical as it gets.

Hmmm if you have the hardware your not measuring “air” temperature, unless less you’ve added extra temp sensors on wire!

My setup reads hardware temps and is fans react fast to any temp change. My only issue is the fans SP120’s only really have three settings (RPM) but still works fine.

Reference not running the app since it’s inside a Microsoft Secure Folder. Do you not run another app at the same time as MSFS, like vPilot or Navigraph etc where you can use that app instead to trigger

As long as I set the case fans to a suitable rpm/airfow, there is really no need for precise real time rpm tuning.
It’s just a matter of having enough fresh air in the case, then the cpu and gpu will adjust their fans as needed.

I don’t launch manually other software. For the moment my options are to change cooling profile manually in iCue, or to sort out a fan profile based on temperature readings of the cpu and/or gpu.

I may still try to dig deeper into accessing that locked windows app folder.

I quit messing around with Windowsapps folder.
Set the case fans for to switch to 1000 rpm at 60 degC, which is the temperature at which GPU kick in as well.
In desktop apps, browsing and watching a movie it is rare to above 60, but it will do so for games.
Thanks all for the inputs.

1 Like

Browsing movies, etc. usually uses the GPU’s video decoding assistance, if available.
These are mostly dedicated circuits rather than general-purpose GPU cores and consume less power.
Games use a great deal of power on the general-purpose GPU core and tend to run hot.

Compared to CPU cooling fans, case fans require less static pressure and can therefore perform well at lower speeds than CPU fans.
Therefore, your suggested 60degC/1000rpm is reasonable enough in my opinion.

Usually the 3080 is not even breaking a sweat for movies, but in games in this setup, it stays stable at 71 degC. Not bad really.