Cowan Simulation MD 500 E helicopter

It was also in the centre (not on the left seat). Here is a quick fix until they get around to making another update!

Just go to:
\Community\cowansim-cowansim500e\SimObjects\Airplanes\Helicopter_500E

Open cameras.cfg in Notepad.

At the top there is:
[VIEWS]
eyepoint = 2.5, -1.3, 2.7 ; (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Copy the whole eyepoint line to a new row underneath and add a ; in front of the original one as a backup.

Change the new line to:
eyepoint = 1.32, -2.3, 2.7 ; (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

See image below to verify. It will have the view outside until you go into VR and centre your view so don’t fret. Never seen any other aircraft behave this way!

Not changed anything or flown this in months. Thought I would give it another try.

Seems just restarting the sim made the engine work though, nothing to do with throttle or the controller binds or anything else mentioned above. Very strange!

1 Like

Just FYI, guys, you really DONT have to go into the .cfg files to fix the views…

Each aircraft has USER cameras that can be saved.

For the default pilot cam, both in flat and VR, you just hit CTRL+F10 and you are locked in to the position that you put yourself with the arrow keys/ ALT .

3 Likes

Good Day, i am playing in Xbox Series X With Xbox Controller.

I have the Problem that the MD500 Banks permanently to right. when I let go of the stick, the Heli tilts to the right.

I have distributed the weight sufficiently evenly and this is not the case with other helicopters. The problem only exists very slightly with the H125. The assistants are all turned off.

Many greetings.

Have you tried using the lateral rotor trim?

It seems trim is used frequently in the real MD500 from what I have seen in a number of YouTube videos.

Besides that, helicopters are inherently unstable, so without an SAS system you hardly ever let go of the cyclic.

Your observations are valid. I experience the same behavior on PC, and it is why I don’t fully enjoy flying this addon. At hover or slow observing speeds below 20 kts, it’s not too apparent. It’s why I do like flying the addon for looking at scenery up close. However, using this addon to fly from one place to another is visually irritating, since you have to dip your left skid to maintain a heading (i.e. constantly turn/bank to the left.

The addon cannot be flown level, while maintaining a heading. With this addon in level flight, you still can’t compensate for it’s slow yaw (turn) to the right. However, you should be able to reduce the left stick pressure you mentioned you needed with trimming. You just won’t be able to stop the addon from it’s tendency to yaw to the right.

I will say that if I want to just fly around aggressive and haphazzardly while flying between buildings and other structures, this addon is a precision instrument. You don’t notice the “Cowan Lean” while flying aggressive maneuvers.

NOTE: As TaserUKEGMC mentioned a few posts up, binding Toggle Engine Governor works to re-engage the governor at full throttle - at least for this addon (as I too have to wait for the Marketplace)

MORE twitchy?! I sure hope not! That’s almost not possible. :roll_eyes: :smile:

I truly can’t understand how Cowan has managed to eliminate or nearly eliminate the lean from all of their helicopters EXCEPT this one. I’ve given up on it in favor of the Shrike 530.

Well, the flight model was vetted by actual 500 pilots, so maybe it actually flies this way. I can’t say how it “should” fly, as I’m not a pilot. I can only comment on why I don’t fully enjoy the addon relative to their other updated addons and other helicopter addons.

I like the Shrike 530F too, but I really like the full size 750/650 combo with the instrument options. So, for flying routes I usually fly the 125 or something else like you do. For gaming mode flying and up close city update viewing, I have found that I can enjoy this addon. I generally don’t do those things while in a multiplayer group stream where people would see me flying crooked. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Does anyone fly the 500e in VR since the last update from Cowan and noticed the eyepoint is now wrong. Places you in the centre of the cockpit, too close to the dash.

1 Like

Yes, I think it is a known problem with some of the Cowan Helis after the recent update. With the R66 the eyepoint places me outside the cockpit! But I have to adjust the eyepoint in every plane once I get into VR.

Thanks, The developer got back to me and suggested it was a bug. He also suggested binding keys to relocate me in the cockpit to the required position as a solution until the bug is fixed.

I just bought MD500 today and yes in VR the position is messed up, I thought it was just me :slight_smile:

Takes a lot of messing to reposition.

Fix the misplaced Pilot viewpoint caused by the 2.1 update of Cowansim 500e with this mod. Simply drag and drop the Zip folders into MSFS_AddonsLinker or place the folder into your MSFS2020 Community folder for easy installation. Hopefully, Cowansim will release an official fix soon.

2 Likes

What do you mean. It takes maybe 5 seconds using the arrow keys and alt key to reposition to the left and back. What am I missing?

I reported the issue to Jeff (Developer) and he suggested it was a possible bug introduced with the recent update. He mentioned if others had the issue he would arrange a fix.

As a work around, he suggested binding keys to support movement in the cockpit to reposition the eye point. This has worked for me for now. Thanks for the mod, which I will use to avoid messing around with the positioning keys.

Hopefully we will see an update to the Heli soon.

Can’t imaging flying this not in VR, the developers need to be taken into account when testing updates to cover all flying situations.

1 Like

I can’t seem to get backwards / forwards to work while in VR?

You need to depress the ALT key on the left side of your keyboard plus the up or down arrow to move forwards or backwards, respectively.

1 Like

New update on marketplace.
Before su15 I flew this with a custom setting with 75% sense, but after su15 I could fly it, and really enjoy it, with the fighter jet preset.
Well I am now back to the 75% custom setting.
And the throttle seems to work good now.
But wish it felt more ”real” to fly.
Not so snappy, like its weight is nothing, but its not alone in this department

2 Likes

I just did a first testflight with v2.1 and it felt pretty solid. I didn’t notice anything twitchy compared to earlier versions. Recorded the flight, will post tomorrow. For me it feels very good so far.

Here is the video

3 Likes