CPU limited RTX 3090

“Turn off the FPS counter and enjoy the game”

Words to live by. Flight Sims are notorious for The Never-Ending pursuit of Higher FPS. It can drive one mad that’s for sure.

I just built my new PC and have not once looked at the FPS. It’s really smooth 95% of the time and I’m satisfied.

No disrespect meant to Original Poster, just truly believe that quote is The Gospel according to Flight Sims!

3 Likes

Well, if you’re buying a 3090 to run the sim at 1440P, means he didn’t really read up on the subject before spending 1500.

All software programs primarily run off a main thread. Multithreaded applications have the ability to use multiple cores but the instruction calls in the main thread bring everything together. The issue being some calls may be blocking which if it happens in the main thread prevent the application proceeding until those instructions complete regardless of how many other threads are in use.

Asobo have talked about moving more instruction calls off the main thread to other threads to avoid blocking calls which can cause stutters which I believe is planned for the next update (Update 6) so you should get a lot more value out of your 3090 when that happens as instructions shoud reach the GPU quicker therefore making the GPU work harder but in your case you have a great GPU so you should see a big improvement in fps.

I’m not totally convinced. Traditional games using a 1440p verses 4K monitor you would be correct to guess texture memory usage will be lower for 1440p. I think the difference for MSFS and even X-Plane is a lot less. From day 1 I was worried about the 3080 low GPU memory and quite frankly I’m holding out for a Ti version or will go the RX 6800 route - I really don’t want to buy a 10GB GPU card again when my current has 11GB. I have a 1440p and yes I have already maxed out the memory in MSFS and X-Plane using some 3rd party sceneries. Oh and did I mention VR which has noting to do with a 1440p monitor…

1 Like

There were plenty of benchmarks available already showing exactly what to expect with the card, in both 4K and 1440P.
Anyways, if someone’s planning to go for 4K eventually, or prepare for VR, then maybe. It’s still a VERY hefty price increase over the 3080.
I’m with you on the RX6800(XT) though. If AMD have availability, and solid drivers on release, it looks like those will be amazing for MSFS (I’m still going to wait for independent benchmarks though :P).

1 Like

AI traffic and multiplayer are both heavy CPU drains. If you don’t want to use multiplayer, I would definitely turn that off. You can do the same with AI traffic and use real time traffic instead unless you specifically want AI.

I would expect both of these will improve your FPS by a fair bit as there will be less strain on the CPU meaning the bottleneck will shift more towards your GPU.

Also, turning the render scale up won’t, of itself, add FPS. However, what it will do is make the most of the GPU capacity you have within the CPU power you are able to use to make the sim look more beautiful. If the FPS doesn’t reduce at 150, keep going with the slider. At some point you might see FPS begin to suffer - this is where you start to be limited by the GPU. At that point. back off the slider slightly.

You are trying to get the optimal share of work between the CPU and GPU. Ideally they would both be maxed out - but if you can’t max them both out, you should at least make sure the GPU is doing the most for you even if the CPU is the drag. In your case, you’ve still got headroom to push the GPU more.

I have XMP I and XMP II ? which one would it be? I’m on bios right now?

In the last developer update the MSFS team expressed a small update coming. Update 6 would bring better optimization and main thread fix for user with higher end cpu. They said they saw results between 6-10 FPS increase. I have an rtx 3080 so I’m awaiting the next update to see the increase in cpu optimization.

1 Like

Thank you all for your advices! I will read over them and do some tweaking as you advice. Im currently trying to boost my ram speed but I’m stuck on the XMP I and XMP II part. Idk which one is it

the speed and timings should be printed on the box the RAM came in, or on a sticker on the ram itself.
Select the XMP profile that matches up with what’s on the sticker.

XMP I will be ok

Wow i was thinking on getting the 3080 but my pockets ain’t that deep. so i’m staying with my GTX 2070 i’m having no problems with that GPU… if its not broken don’t fix it. but on the Other hand this game in Broken so please Fix It. :frowning:

I’m getting around 45-50 fps at KORD (payware)
Once I pass the 1,000 ft mark it goes up to 65-70 with everything ultra but on limited by main thread

Will changing the speeds make a difference?

Not surprised as you’re still running 1440p with the upscaling,anyway was worth a try.I won’t advice you to mess with your other hardware components unless you’re comfortable or know what you’re doing.
As of right now the sim is not running on the best API thus running advance tech on an old software engine.
Anyway best of luck to you.

on the RAM? Sure it will. It’s also the speed which you paid for. Will it give you 20FPS? of course not.

I’m going to need to watch some tutorials on this. Some say you need to change your voltage as well?

No you don’t. Setting the XMP profile is setting up the memory the way it’s intended. The voltage settings are included. They are the included settings from the manufacturer.

If you want to go into manual memory overclocking, then yes, you’ll have to study for a few months.

Yeah I don’t wanna overlock them. Okay I’m going to select XMP I and change it to 3600mhz

You’re right lol. I just don’t like the fact that it’s limited by main thread but I’ll have to see what is causing it.