CPU maxed out when activating the microphone while MSFS is running (e.g. vPilot client)

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

Yes (except external vPilot Vatsim client)

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX11

Are you using DLSS?

No

Brief description of the issue:

The moment vPilot is started CPU temperature jumps up from normal 63°C to maximum CPU thermal limit of 93°C. When vPilot is fully closed the high CPU temperature stays like this even in the main menu. Only a full restart of the sim will get it back to normal.

I have tried the same in the non-beta and it does not happen there, so this is something new with the beta. After switching back into the beta the problem could immediately be reproduced.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Start in an airport at the gate, I used LSZH with an ATR 72-600, open vPilot and connect. Observer CPU temperature.

PC specs and peripheral set up:

AMD 7800x3d, Nvidia 4070, 32 GB ram, 1440p gsync monitor

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Noticed it does actually happen in the non beta. Don’t know why it did not when I tested it before… Maybe this could be moved out of the SU13 section?

Moved to the regular Bug Reports section based on your findings. Thanks!

Thanks so much Jummivana for moving the thread.

Having spent now more time on looking into potential reasons, I identified an unlikely reason, but it does seem to be reproducible.

I’m using an Bluetooth Headset and when switching it off, after vPlane connection, CPU temperature instantaneously goes back to normal.

I can also trigger the CPU increase with certain actions in the Win11 sound microphone setting, vPlane is not needed…

Therefore, I think the root cause is (somewhat) independent of MSFS and probably specific to my exact setup. Having said this, I only see those CPU issues when MSFS is running and not with e.g. youtube videos. MSFS must utilize audio in a certain way that is then leading to this situation.

Edit: I changed the title to reflect that it is independent of vPilot