CPU Temp while running MSFS 2020 in VR

I run a i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz with an Nvidia RTX 2080ti and 32 GB of RAM. I switched to an Arctic fluid cooler because the CPU fan I was running seemed to let the PC run hot, over 100 C, in MSFS 2020 in VR. With the new fluid cooler I am getting up in the high 90s and sometimes reaching 100 for a few seconds. MSFS doesn’t seem to slow down and it doesn’t crash. I know the CPU is supposed to throttle when it reaches a certain temp, but I must not have hit that yet.

1 Like

I downloaded precision x and backed up my temp from 84 to 80 degrees. One slider and hit apply. Stops the throttling and whooshing sound. Works a treat.

That’s hot, particularly that the cpu isn’t overclocked.

How bigs your case and have you good airflow in the case plus additional case fans.

Although my headset is a quest 2, even my old i7 ivybridge processor only got up to c65 degrees at 4.4 ghz and that was on air cooling.

I now have a 5800x which have a bit of a rep for high temps and that only gets up to mid to high 60’s however this isn’t overclocked so isn’t a full gas’s on all cores.

I would check your air is seated ok and reapply thermal grease etc, you might have a duff cooler also

Forgot to ask what are your ambient temps?

I also have a arctic liquid cooler, size 240, front mounted in a fractal case with 4 fans on it in push pull, another fan on the side of case as an inflow for gpu and three fans, two top and one at back as exhaust,

All core benchmarking at 4.8 ghz is c 78 degrees c with ambient temp of c23 degrees c

My i9 10850K with a 240mm AIO cooler hits around 75C max at 100% CPU load using a stress testing app. I generally get between 55C and 60C running FS2020 in VR on a G2 as the CPU load rarely gets above 25% because my 3080 GPU is carrying the main FS2020 VR workload running at 98-100% load.

I have recently tried turning hyperthreading off, as I get slightly higher VR FPS, and can pull off a 400MHz overclock to 5.2GHz with max temp still under 80C with 100% CPU load and much less in FS2020 VR.

What about vcore voltage in BIOS settings?
You can lock FPS to max 60 via nvidia control panel or msi afterburner.

First things first.

1. Cooling block contact with CPU. Ok?

2. Thermal compound application. Ok? (and what are you using?)

3. Orientation of cooling block and radiator.

Gamers Nexus had a whole rant about orientation of components when installing AIO coolers. To avoid air traps the CPU block end should not be mounted hoses pointing down as this could trap any air present* in the CPU block itself.
Likewise if the radiator is mounted vertically then in/out should be at the bottom.

• Yes. There can be air in an AIO cooler. Not much but possibly enough to cause an air trap and stop flow.
  1. Where is rad placed and what is direction of airflow? (Example 1 - vertical front, fans “pull” mounted behind rad (inside case side) pulling air through radiator from outside or Example 2 - horizontal top case mount, fans “push” mounted pushing air from inside of case through radiator and out.) - the optimum placement and what you can get away with are going to depend on your case, it’s airflow and components etc but generally speaking external air in > fans pulling air through rad is usually best case scenario.

2. What are your fan speed’s set at? Do you have control over that or does the AIO handle all that without you having any input? If so, where is the AIO getting it’s temp info from? (Motherboard or its own sensor?)

If you have control over fan speeds through a motherboard app or similar then set the curve a little more aggressively.
(Example - idle can be pretty low speed. So at maybe 30degC fan speed can be 500rpm…at 40c you want the fans to be up to about 60% and once you pass 50c the fans should be at full chat. - 100% This might seem odd but depending on chipset and sensor used the CPU core temp may actually be a full 10 degrees higher than the sensor is reading therefore you want to adjust fan speeds to take this into account. - HWInfo is a good tool to check actual temps.)

1 Like

For reference: i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, RTX2060S and 16GB RAM - aircooled with a Scythe Mine 2 in a Fractal R3 case (2 input and 3 output fans). Stock BIOS and settings.
I run either 1080p on monitor (maxed out when not over cities - even with an LOD tweak in the config ile too) or an Oculus Rift CV1 (with much lower settings - sigh).
In VR (the heavier load) I see two cores occasionally sneaking up to 53-55C (using HWinfo).
I just ran Prime95 - all 6 cores at 100% and it gets to 61-65C after a few minutes. I’ve not lapped the cpu and/or heatsink on the cooler, but I’d be checking my thermal paste/coupling if I was seeing anything over 80C

He has a standard CPU cooler, not liquid cooled. That’s the problem. The fan in the cooler is probably picking up the rising heat from the GPU. If it was me, I would invest in a two fan liquid cooling system. I watched Gamers Nexus video on how to properly install a liquid cooling system, very well explained.

2 Likes

That will definitely throw the temps off too.

My i7 10700K is OC at 4,9Ghz all core and I use airflow double fan as cooler (Noctua NH-U12P SE2 bought in 2012). In stress test like Cinebench or Prime it goes to 85 degrees max, and in game it don’t go further than 78 degrees. For the GPU I feel very lucky with the Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC as I OC it +125/+500 and it never goes at more than 65 degrees during stress tests. Air flow can be great if well installed. I’m always scary about liquid cooling due to possible leak and the inertia of the cooling (airflow react more quickly to temp change).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.