CPU temperature

Using an RTX 2060 Super, with Ultra across the board. Frame rate is good.

Have done no BIOS updates, and motherboard (ASUS B365) is fine.

Ran the same flight I did yesterday earlier today, and got temps that hovered between 65 and 74 deg C. Starting to wonder if the ASUS program I’m using to control fan speed is accurately reflecting temps.

Wondering if my chassis fan speed profile wasn’t set up right. Reduced the temp that triggers max fan rate to 65 deg, and that seemed to help.

I’m seeing very brief spikes, followed by significantly lower temps. I graphed the maxes today, and 77 was the spike, followed by more consistent temps around 70.

Well, I torture tested my PC for an hour last night (Prime 95), and had temps in the low 80s, and that was at the very end of many iterations.

Downloaded the US update today, and was running at 89C in about 10 minutes.

Peculiar.

most likely your GPU dumping its heat into your case, causing the CPU cooler to intake hotter air to cool with.
Prime 95 does 0 GPU load.

Limit the framerates of the game from your GPU drivers or a tool like RivaTuner (comes with MSI afterburner) to lower GPU load in the menus/update screens. Otherwise the GPU will try to reach 500+ FPS in the menus.

1 Like

I appreciate your reply, thank you. I have a liquid cooler, though, and my motherboard temps are 30s.

I’m going to try your suggestion, anyway. It couldn’t hurt. I’m also going to change my thermopaste to something other than stock.

If you’re running an AIO liquid cooler, there’s still a fan blowing air over the radiator. If it’s blowing air from within your case over that radiator (and then exhausting it outside of the case) it doesn’t matter if it’s an air cooler or an AIO.
If the AIO takes ambient air then I agree, it should make a difference.

2 Likes

Have you checked to see if the fan settings are changed at all in the BIOS? Sometimes mine changes to “smart fan mode,” which I detest. It tried to keep everything quiet but ends up heating things up more. I’d also recommend re-applying the thermal paste and just making sure your cooler is securely fastened to the chip. If none of that works maybe consider getting a new cooler? I have a CoolerMaster ML360 and really like it.

1 Like

Great information! Thank you!

I actually keep my ASUS smart fan program available while in game, and I have a profile with speeds that really ramp up as temps climb. Going to do all of the things you mentioned.

Great help! Thanks!

I’d like to thank everyone who chimed in. I really thought that there was a link to an update involved. Turns out that the stock AIO cooler in my “ibuypower” PC just sucked (Asetek, I think), and happened to stop working as effectively at the time the update was released.

I’ve replaced it with an Arctic Freezer II, with MX-4 thermal paste, and the temps hover in the mid-50s to 60C. Managed to shatter the tempered glass side panel in the process, but hey, the CPU is cooler now.

Apologies for thinking this problem was something it wasn’t.

Just happy you got it sorted out. Enjoy the skies!

1 Like

Bingo! I opened up my case and saw over 10C drop in my GPU, and over 20C drop CPU!
Insane!! The case was literally chocking the life out of build.
Thank you for this post!

1 Like

At least your CPU is locked, but remember, the 100ºC Tjunction is not to use as a limit. This is the auto-shutdown so that your chip does not fry, let’s say if your fan goes bad or if your water cooler pump fails. But Tjunction is not to be considered in 24/7 use.

You have to maintain the CPU below the max Tcase, which on Intel hovers around 75/80ºC on the last generations if I’m not mistaken. That is, 24/7 operation. So if you let your CPU render a video for a couple hours, it is not advisable to go over the Tcase.

As a rule of thumb, 80ºC is the warning line, when you do need to start figuring out what’s happening with your CPU temps. Yes, some people reach 90ºC all the time and think it is fine… Until it is not fine anymore. I’ve seen a case of overclocking an i7-4790K, running a stability test at 90ºC and in the next day they could not achieve the same clock - in other words, the chip wore out in 24h.

High temps and chips are not a good mix. Always keep it in check. I reckon that temps are more dangerous in overclocking, but I would not bet on it.

What cooler are you using? What thermal paste? Since it is a locked i7 9th generation, you can buy a very inexpensive air cooler and a good thermal paste to fix the problem. I do have an i7-9700K and it has good temps, keeping around 70ºC in heavy rendering (South America, Brazil, so it is hot in here).

Also, if temps went overboard just recently, the tendency is that they will keep rising as time goes on. Something might be wrong or just deteriorating, like bad thermal paste or a mounting bracket going bad. So take care of it now before your rig starts to shut down due to high temps.

A decent Hyper 212 with MX4 should do the trick.

Well even if 83 degrees may be ok … the point is, he stated his temps were around 65 degrees a month ago. That seems weird anyway.

If you use an AIO water cooling solution, maybe your pump is dying?

Any help appreciated! After setting scale rendering to 200, according to GPU-Z app, MAX CPU temp was 90!!! Average about 60. Should I be worried? What exactly to check, AVG or MAX ? GPU max was 66. Have to say that setting scale randering to 200 really made a HUGE difference to the sim -smoother whithout shimmering and no stuttering when changing views.
i9-9900k/RTX 3080 TUF/32 GB RAM.

Had the same problem, temp reaching on a regular basis more than 90°C average 60°C. Decided to open my PC to analyze and finally realized they forgot to remove the plastic protection from my CPU liquid cooler ! Removed it, applied new thermal paste and now, with ultra settings having max 61°C !