CPU Temps Too High

I have an MSI MAG Tomahawk X570 Wifi board and an AMD 5800X. Also, I have an Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 120. When flying over big cities with photogrammetry the CPU temps rise too high, above 90 degrees.

Anyone have any recommendations? Is there a better CPU cooler I can get? What setting most controls high CPU?

Thanks,
Greazer.

Hi, I had this same concern but found this article:

1 Like

Thermal throttling for the 5800x begins at 90c, so you will unlikely see it go higher than 90c due to throttling. You shouldn’t be hitting 90c while gaming - this suggests there’s a bigger issue here. I would recommend trying to reseat the cooler first before purchasing a new one. Bad heatsink contact will cause overheating issues.

If that doesn’t help, you should consider a 240mm or bigger AIO cooler. That 120mm should work, but it’s borderline.

2 Likes

no one can say really give you any good advice until you give more information. Set hwinfo app and show your settings. You will get a lot more help when people can see what is going on.

This cooler has 4 or 5 revisions and the install instructions change. It was a bit complicated. However, I was pretty sure it was seated properly. I may get another cooler, possibly a Noctua.

1 Like

I managed to get temps my cpu down to about to 63c when gaming and 45 idle, and similar temps when testing using cinebench with the 5800x, without affecting performance. I’m hitting 4.9Ghz stable with the same performance.

Basically, you want to look to use pbo ( performance boost overdrive ) essentially lowering your cores offsets. Generally, the 5800x is hot due to how the chip is designed. If you look deeper into how pbo works, you will see that you can gain the same fps CPU performance while dropping those temps significantly.

A good starting tutorial to how this works

I’m also using the Arctic Liquid Freezer II. It is a fantastic AIO, best i have used, and i have used many over the years.

if you need any further advice, feel free to let me know, i’ll do my best to advise.

2 Likes

Long story, but I have had a lot of issues with stability. I was getting the windows WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR over and over. Only solution was to fix the clock speed. I have it at 4.6Ghz. PBO was causing issues. I just bought a new cooler a Noctua D15. Will see how that goes, and if I can enable PBO.

Greazer.

Just curious, did you runa windows WHEA-logger error check to see which core was casuing the issue?

One of the biggest mistakes people make when using pbo is setting negitive offsets, with out testing each cores performace…

For example if you drop the 1st core down -5 and then run a test, if you was to crash or has a stablity issues, then you would see this error in the WHEA check and could then drop back to 0 for that core.

No I didn’t try that. But maybe I will if it happens again. My previous build with Intel, Nvidia went a lot smoother.

1 Like

Ideally, you want to set up a custom WHEA error check, this will tell you exactly which core is causing the issue. Then you can tweak that particular cores negative offsets. In the video I posted above, go to 18:20 and follow his set-up, it’s easy.

Previously, when I first started using PBO I had blue screens, shutdowns and all sorts of issues, but once i identified the cores and ran WHEA-Logger error check, I was able to find the cores that were stable when reducing the negative offsets. Now i don’t have any issues.

Once you have the WHEA logger check-in place… reset your bios to the original loadout, then start again with your PBO settings. Remember to work on one core at a time.

Also, the 2 best cores usually don’t need any offsets applied, but, as you may know, each cpu is different and take would take WHEA-Logger checking… You can use Ryzen master to check for those best cores.

trust me the Arctic Liquid Freezer II is a gem of an AIO. Ideally though, you want a 240 rad for the 5800x.

Not necessarily. You can negative offset your two best cores without any issues, but you’ll likely be limited due to the boosting. Offsetting the two best cores will help keep the overall temperature down and encourage higher boosting via PBO. I would try to put a negative offset on these, but keep it conservative.

That’s what i already said, i had previously a different 5800x that was hitting 5GHz with no issues, the 2 best cores would only be stable with -0 negative set. It depends entirely on the cpu, each is different.

The reason I pointed out the 2 best core point, was becuase people tend to make the mistake of applying PBO without any testing of those cores capactity, they tend to just apply to neg offsets without thinking. It’s advisable to identify those cores and leave those at peace at the start. Once a test run of WHEA-Logger is completed on each core, then they can play around with those 2 best cores as much as they like.

This issue here isn’t that he focuses on the 2 best cores, but, for him to identify his correct negative offsets. this is essentially the main priority here.

You’re confusing what is possible versus silicon lottery. It’s possible to put a negative offset on your two best cores without any issues, but not all chips can run those with negative offsets. I have a -10 offset on my two best cores… if it’s not possible, as you say, how would you explain that?

Appreciate your feedback.

Maybe i could have been bit clearer on my point.

Everytime i’ve applied pbo to a 5800x. I always start but not touching my 2 best cores, then i ran tests for each core, and work though one at a time. if the 2 best can go -10 then fantastic! that’s what i should have said.

1 Like

I live in the Philippines and my 5600x hits 97 degrees on the stock cooler and now tops out at 87 degrees with a gammaxx 400xt.

So the 5000 series really does run very hot.

Then try apply the pbo method as mentioned above.

Try removing all the dust from your rad’s :stuck_out_tongue:

I am researching a new system at the moment (and for the last two years, to be honest) and will likely go down the 5900/5950 route. As such, I have been looking at cooling for a while and a few days ago, Corsair announced a newer version of their Cappelix AIO coolers, available in 240,360 and 420 sizes. It all depends on whether you can live with RGB, but if you can, then this latest version might be of interest. It has a high quality 2.1 inch LCD screen on the pump block which allows you display CPU and GPU temps, fan speeds and much else as well. Check out YouTube for more.

What I tried was buying a new Noctua NH-D15 and installing that. The CPU temps seem to top out at around 73 now. Big difference.

Where at on your PC case is the Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 120 installed? At the top of your case, the front or the side? Did you forget your thermal paste? How many exhaust fans do you have and where on your case do they exhaust? What are your fan speeds set at in your bios? Case temp sensors are different than say CPU or PCB temp monitoring. So if these as well are being thermal throttled perhaps look at the amount of variance between case temps and hardware temps. Did you properly clean the cpu if by chance you had another cooler installed prior to installing the Liquid Freezer? Are you certain your fans are installed in the proper direction?