Crash after connecting joystick

Hi there,
I have a issue that after i start the game and connect my joystick msfs freezes for half a second and crashes. I have a cobra pro flight cf2290

Any ideas?

1 Like

Plug it in first, then start msfs.
Does that work?

1 Like

Also try a different usb slot.

But it may not be recognized by msfs at all. Looks like a knockoff on logitech

1 Like

Plugging in controllers while the game is running is generally a bad idea unless the game developers specifically listen for the “connected controller”, and “disconnected controller” event messages - assuming that the O/S passes those events through to the game.

(IMHO) it sounds like there’s an exception being raised that the game isn’t handling.

What system are you using?  PC?  Xbox?

You might want to submit this as a bug.

1 Like

the game then starts with a black screen and crashes

2 Likes

(Shakes head in wonder)
:man_facepalming:

This really sounds like a bug report waiting to happen.

Go do it.  Hopefully it will get on the bug list.

Idea:  Try plugging in the controller before starting the system.

Does that controller crash other games or bork your system - maybe the controller is defective?  (It still shouldn’t crash the game - write the bug.)

im currently on windows 11 on PC

1 Like

the controller works well with ace combat and x-plane. I tried plugging it before starting the system and the same thing happened

1 Like

I had problem with TM T16000 HOTAS.
Problem appeared after I change controls and after every controls change I need to complete uninstall driver, than install it again. That happened before SU10.

2 Likes

Any specific driver installed to this joystick controller?

If yes, this can be problem.

1 Like

SOME USB joystick just don’t seem to work with MSFS. (from day of release)

ie Thrustmaster Top Gun Force Feedback Joystick.

Instant CTD if connected when sim is running, and a CTD during loading sim, if connected before sim is started.

Worked fine on FSX

No support from Thrustmaster on this issue – will NEVER buy Thrustmaster products again – not that they would care … nor will I now.

1 Like

Well, I used Saitek Cyborg, it was nightmare with drivers. During use, axis fall of from calibration. So many ruined landings, where I end up crashlanding in fields near runway. Because when it lost airleon axis calibration, it suddenly bank left or right. Saitek promised new drivers, but for years… no new driver.

1 Like

I will sometimes get a crash when I plug in my Saitek X52 if the sim is already up and running. When I remember to plug it in before the sim loads it always works fine.

1 Like

Hi, also having the same exact issue stated by the OP.

1 Like

Appreciate this topic is a little old at this point, but I’ve got the same issue on Windows 11 using a genuine Xbox One controller connected over USB. Did the bug report ever get raised?

1 Like

Guys and solution ? i have the same problem with a uRage Vibration Joystick that i use with Microsoft Flight Simulator X and works perfectly.

1 Like

I have never had a good experience with any program that has a device dependency, if the device, (a controller, for example), is plugged in after the program starts.

USB devices need to enumerate, allocate resources, and bind to the system before it can be used.

Hi,

I was following that topic because I had the same problem. I created a post on Microsoft support site but with no helpful answers, but I figured out how to make my Cobra PRO Flight CF2290 Joystick and Throttle work.

Game doesn’t CTD anymore and everything works perfectly, here is how I did it:

Conditions:

(I am using Windows 10 Pro, but I think it’ll work on Windows 11 too)

1. Game closed

2. Joystick plugged in (with or without the throttle attached)

How to:

1. Enter Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers - here your Cobra PRO Flight should be recognized as “PC Flight Simulator”;

2. Right click on “PC Flight Simulator” - here you can see that the controller has some settings for Gamepad Device but also for Mouse Device and Keyboard Device;

My solution is to delete the Mouse and Keybord Device tabs.

3. Right click on “PC Flight Simulator” > Properties > Hardware;

Here you do the same for HID-compliant Mouse and for HID-compliant keyboard.

4. Click HID-compliant Mouse/Keyboard > Properties > Change Settings (with Admin priviliges mark) > Driver > Uninstall Driver;

Do the same thing to both Keyboard and Mouse HID-compliant devices.

After refreshing Devices and Printers tab in Control Panel your PC Flight Simulator device should change icon to a Gamepad, and after right-clicking it you should only see Gamepad Settings option.

Now you MSFS2020 should launch without CTD.