CRASH TO DESKTOP: Launching the game with SteamVR open (in theater mode), then entering VR mode in-game

, ,

Steps to reproduce:

1. Launch SteamVR
  2. Launch MSFS from your Steam library, which causes the game to open in SteamVR theater mode
  3. Wait until it finishes loading the menu, which should show up on your screen and in the headset’s theater
  4. Enter VR mode by hitting CtrlTab
  5. The game immediately crashes to desktop without leaving any error windows or anything behind

I am having the same issue! did you figure it out ? it starts game but in vr i am watching the game in a theater, what a stupid thing to even let the game start like that, you would think the programers would make sure that you start in normal mode no matter what, especially first time running the software in VR.

The “correct” way (at the moment) is to launch the game with SteamVR closed. Then you hit CtrlTab and it launches SteamVR for you. But they really need to make the game support VR natively on Steam, meaning it should behave like other native VR games on Steam when you have SteamVR open.

2 Likes

Hi, you need to disable steam vr theatre within Steam (i think there is a checkbox when you go into the properties for the game on steam). I had the same issue until I unticked that box.

I tried that but it didn’t seem to affect anything. More to the point, I’m reporting a bug— under no circumstances should the game crash, so this needs to be fixed.

I think there is a second place you can try to disable as well - Steam->Settings->In-Game. I unchecked that as well

Same here.
If I start oculus first then steam VR gets error 309.
If I start steam then oculus, it is ok but then MSFS crashes when switching to VR.
I will try with the theater off.
I have an Oculus quest and I need to go from the oculus quest desktop, to the normal oculus desktop, then to steam desktop and launch the game. This ecosystem is a mess –
For me the worst is the oculus UX design. No error codes, no feedback on what it is doing. If something goes wrong there is nothing to help you, and these things are far from that level of quality; fancy UX over brittle software (sigh) … So frustrating…

1 Like

Did all that, Steam VR is launching, can choose my flight, see the loading screen in the VR headset, and in the moment it should go the cockpit the Steam VR home is launching AGAIN and the games is crashing.

2 Likes

Was having the same problem. But what worked for me was not loading into VR until the game was loaded and I was sitting in a plane. You can transfer to VR at anytime.

I have the same issue, I blamed GPU overclock or system issue but nothing seem to solve it. Occasionally I manage to get loaded into an aircraft, but mostly I’m crashing out without.

unfortunatly no chance, tried that but still crashes. Reinstalled Steam VR, no chance. So my only hope is to reinstall everything from zero.

Beware as with reinstall I had tons of issues, I ad to add manually everything, even most of the planes. I took me days to get it back and I’m still missing content.

BTW I tried to make it work with limited success, but today when my non-gamer flyer buddies were here for a visit, it worked and they were blown away after a round above their houses in live weather. I’m not sure if it will work the next time as I’ll be afk for a few days, I only tinkered with my overclock. But I’m unsure if it’s related as it crashed even at stock settings (but stock settings on my card are garbage so :man_shrugging: )

It would be so magical if this was a decently built up software…

Installed MSFS new, disabled stuff like revive but whatever I’m doing, its all good but when I’m in cockpit and switch to VR flighsim is crashing. Somwetimes with funny memory messages but mostley the application is just closing. All other VR apps are working fine with my Pimax 8K+, it’s a real pity. I’m afraid the last step is complete new system drive C and doing everything from scratch. What a nightmare!

Thanks for the advice but no, just the beta version of SteamVR. But just to double ckeck I have installed OpenXR and have changed the registry. No change. There are many Pimax users who are flying without issues, all there are complaining is frame rate.

Again thank you for your comment.

Issue solved: I just clicked in Geforce Experience under Flight Simulator “Optimize”. So I guess it was just a setting issue.

Yea. finaly did it this way and now it works fine… BUT after 20 min ich, it crashes, every time. have everything set to high / not ultra. rtx 3090, vive pro, i9.9900k running 5,1GHz all time… GPU only 68 deg.c, CPU 57 deg.c ? no error codes. eny suggestion else than always fly max 20 min airtime…

I do have crashes as well most likely if the resolution is too high but they are in the moment I switch to VR. After 20 minutes is weird, sounds like a CPU/GPU temperature issue, maybe too much overclocking?

Ok saw your comment about low temperatures. Have you checked the RAM? You can switch to developer mode and enable the FPS tool. Nice is that it also shows the RAM usage. Maybe you’re running out of,memory for what ever reason?

I have the same problem with my oculus quest 2, my game crash when i go fly, but work fine in the menu … I m lost help please

Using the Reverb G2 and almost any time i click a menu in VR sim just crashes. So its pretty much unusable at this point. I have tried work arounds but sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Like everything in this sim. It should not have been released yet because its not finished. Seems to be an asobo theme

1 Like