Crash to desktop without error message

Simconnect CTD most likely.
Taking the steps you mentioned helps, but doesn’t cure the issue.
Not using external apps like Simbrief or Little Nav Map, etc., helps as well.
Anything that communicates with the sim goes through simconnect.
The more data it handles, the more unstable it becomes.
When it crashes, it takes MSFS with it.
Asobo has stated it will be fixed with the next update.

no change on the Xbox, but i already solved it, i reset my MS Store again, and this time it fix both Xbox and MSFS

1 Like

Oh that’s great news.

Glad to hear you are “back in the air”!

Same Issue here - live traffic causes a CTD

Perhaps they are not pointed to these so much because at the bottom of the page this is plainly stated:

Was this article helpful? 4 out of 64 found this helpful

Very bad odds/statistics.

This msfs needed to be complete and consistently stable for 95%+ of alpha testers before even entering a beta stage, in my view. The CTD’s now are just a part of an ongoing alpha stage; msfs is still being developed and the multitude of add-ons are still being developed. Simconnect and the SDK are still being developed. To me it is amazing that anybody can complete a half day of flying w/o CTD, but I will not believe anybody who says they never had or have CTD’s in msfs. Whether the AI or Cache or Add-ons or Settings or any other number of variables, everybody is having to work-around CTD’s with several compromises; some major - some basic.

Everybody, and I do mean everybody, is having to wait in order to “fully” use msfs w/o compromises and work-arounds.

From the msfs support site at the top of the page:

How to troubleshoot crashes & CTDs

Support Updated : Yesterday at 01:58

On occasion, you may experience crashes during your flight or on the menu screens. Below you will find a list of common troubleshooting steps that have been known to reduce or eliminate CTDs entirely.

So the support page begins with the expectation of CTD’s on occasion. Now if these steps have been known to eliminate CTD’s entirely, then it was only 4 people who benefited (4 out of 64 people who found the article helpful).

But the reality is, of course CTD’s are expected, msfs still being developed; and everybody who bought msfs will just have to deal with a product in development…a 10 year journey.

2 Likes

This thread will help explain your recent CTD’s.

Please don’t speak for me ! I have to wait for nothing related to a CTD.

1 Like

My response is not intended to argue with you, I want to believe you, however:

Make a video with all settings on, and all at max, including Live AI traffic, car/boats, Live Weather, everything. Fly a full unedited 1-3 hour IFR flight from a major airport to a major airport, in the default 787, using default ATC - Full 4K - and make occasional use of the co-pilot (air craft control and radio control) too. Not a test of your frame rate but a test for CTD. Post a link with the completed unedited flight and I will believe you.

There is not one user that can or will do this. They will make excuses that they don’t like bloom or lens flare or Live traffic or ATC or they don’t fly airliners or their PC is not fast enough - there is always an excuse not to make full use of msfs.

Post the vid and we will see. I do not want you to CTD, I would like to be wrong. But this topic, and hundreds of other CTD topics with thousands of complaints for over a year are not some fantasy or conspiracy. Everybody just wants to fly in peace…not possible with an early alpha build.

2 Likes

I don’t like Bloom either, so I turn it off, as well as motion blur. I still have the odd crash now, and then so it’s nothing to do with those.

I don’t think anyone has to prove anything to you either.

2 Likes

Honestly, all our rigs are working mostly quite well.
It is you with the issue. Nobody needs to prove anything to you!

As I see it you have been affected by the Simconnect CTD bug, which is known to be triggered by long flights(among others), and in the last couple days also by the Bing Data issues.
Both will cause CTD’s.
Both are very well known.
One resulted from some failure at Bing which hit without warning, the other was quite complex and a fix is coming with the next upgrade.

2 Likes

And just like that, I crashed. Literally just touched down at MDPC, and hadn’t even lowered my nose wheel, and it died. First crash of the weekend, and hopefully the last.

1 Like

Nobody has to do anything except breathe in any given day.

Anybody who says they have no CTD’s has to prove that they don’t, or what I said is true and correct and cannot be disputed. I say everybody has CTD’s or they are working around (compromising) the problem by lowering and turning off settings. So it remains up to the msfs team to fix the CTD’s, not for the end user to workaround the issue, unless you want CTD’s for 10 years and ever after…that is what will happen because the msfs team will see that working around the issue and making compromises only in their favor will be fine with them, just like releasing msfs at full price with less than 1/3 of it finished according to the hype.

If nobody can prove they never had/have CTD’s and establish the cause and fix for them all, topics like this will continue for months and months with placebo effects and false hopes.

You are trying to make this about me; this is about CTD’s and a topic with 2600+ responses from August 2020, with 754 votes, and yet the CTD’s continue. There have been many updates since then and the CTD’s continue. But like I said this is a pre-alpha test still and CTD’s are expected.

I cannot have CTD’s in msfs because I never bought msfs - In my view its currently a photography game in pre-alpha, and it has way too many CTD reports still. I want to buy msfs, but I can’t justify paying full price for an unstable pre-alpha product.

I’m here saying that logic and reason will not apply to CTD’s until msfs is finished being developed. In other words don’t expect the CTD’s to just go away as long as development continues. Currently the end user (paying customer) will have to alpha test msfs, it is unavoidable at this juncture, unless one walks away for a time.

So, for now, its important to welcome the CTD’s with open arms, do what you can to cause CTD’s, and report CTD’s. Stop trying to avoid CTD’s, especially when they are still currently so widespread. The more that workarounds are used to avoid CTD’s the longer it will take to finally fix the CTD’s…I hope that makes sense…I’m not here as an enemy or to argue.

Well, your loss, in my opinion.

I’ll be the first to admit it has some issues, which I would classify as growing pains
The last few days have not been good, with the Bing Data issue , and the Simconnect one both hitting at once.
So if you want to go on those two issues, yes they certainly affected quite a few users.
I been quite fortunate, I have had fewer issues with MSFS than I had with FSX, Steam, or P3D, and have been using MSFS since launch in August.
I may have had 4 or 5 CTD in that time frame, most of them recently.
I was able, thanks to this forum, to be able to find the cause for each.

In all fairness, the Bing issue sprung up “out of the blue” and it is actively being looked into.
The simconnect is corrected with the next update.

And it is quite an amazing sim.
I can’t see myself ever going back, and I am not a VFR flyer!
The “feeling” you get from this sim can’t be replicated elsewhere!

2 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful response

1 Like

thanks… I hope @aracines have now enough writen of it’s own personal opinion within this thread and made enough wrong assumptions about other users and wrong summaries, and this within a thread which is made for searching issues and helping users.
It’s own thread was already closed because “is essentially not constructive”.

1 Like

Make the video since I’m wrong. Don’t talk - show everybody how correct you are.

and you still tell with this your opinion that you mean I lie.

I have you absolutly nothing to proof. If I tell you I have no CTD ( since start issues are gone ), then you have to trust me. Beside of this I uploaded some videos at my YT channel , like others done same… I’am not interessted at a 787 , I fly airplane which I want and not what you want.

In all your posts here was nothing which was helpfull for the users.
You only created more “responses” ( as you said 2600+ ) within this thread which we not need in this category.

1 Like

If I have to trust you, why don’t you have to trust me? Why not prove to everybody here that I’m wrong. I say I’m not wrong, please trust me or show me I’m wrong.

My post says to not avoid CTD’s at this juncture because msfs is still in early development, the G1000, other autopilots, weather, AI, copilot, and ATC (major core features) have not even been completed yet. There are going to be CTD’s. The best way to solve the CTD’s is to report as many as possible to zendesk. It is not good to workaround CTD’s at this juncture, there are too many people having CTD’s for too many reasons.

You see, its not a matter of what interests you, its a matter of trying to make msfs CTD so you can report it to the msfs team. Every msfs customer is an alpha tester until msfs has completed the development stage.

As long as this community does whatever it takes to avoid CTD’s at this stage, they may never get fixed or they will take years to finally get fixed. The result is, the community will have to be in a perpetual state of workarounds and unreasonable compromises…this is no way to flight sim.

1 Like

@aracines your post above is 100%. For me, its AI traffic. I can fly for hours and hours with settings on high/ultra with AI off, as soon as AI is on, CTD. So my workaround has been AI off, but it shouldn’t have to be. I was routinely reporting CTD’s and bugs/giving feedback until about a month ago when I just got jack of it and wanted an UNINTERUPTED flying experience.

2 Likes

I’ve had crashes in the middle of the ocean. I also don’t use AI traffic, but Live, but I guess that’s just AI by another name. If it was AI that caused it, it must have a huge range of effect.