Crash to desktop without error message

Hi,

I’d like to collect information from those of you that experience the same issue. Maybe we can find a common denominator.

*** EDIT: I was finally able to solve my crashes by limiting my FPS to 30 in Nvidia Control Center as per this comment: Crash to desktop without error message - #444 by HypnoticFire47 ***

First: I did a complete reinstall of both Windows 10 and MSFS.
Hardware: Ryzen 2600, Geforce GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM, no overclocking (–> my impression is that many of those who experience the issue have a similar setup)
Installation location was drive D which is a seperate partition on my SSD. The cache was installed on drive C:\user\AppData…as suggested by the installer

I was able to fly once for about 40 min then game crashed. Since then no start possible, crash usually before entering main menu or while loading after selecting the flight.
Occasionally I reach the runway but crash soon after.
After restarting the computer I sometimes can fly once again before I cannot enter the game again after first crash.

Observation 1: short before crash sound will stutter
Observation 2: starting as administrator doesn’t seem to make any difference
Observation 3: attaching a Joystick (in my case a Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X) seems so worsen the situation
Observation 4: Ram and VRam were not full (playing at 1440p, settings high) - observed with developer options - show framerate
Observation 5: Eventviewer shows an error similar to this one (here it’s in German):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5f2ed221
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5f2ed221
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000013d8522
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x2a54
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d675928053ea6d
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Berichtskennung: 3179e69c-1e6b-48bd-aab4-766fe2f63f34
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

Support answered with the following suggestions, none of which worked of course…

1. Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements
    Please ensure that your Windows 10 version is 1909 or higher and that your system is fully updated.

Make sure Windows is up to date :

Select Start , then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates.

For more information/troubleshooting, see: [link removed]

Make sure all the updates in the Microsoft Store are installed, especially Gaming Services and Xbox Companion app .

In the top right-hand side corner of the Microsoft Store, click on the Arrow icon or the three-dot menu > Downloads and updates. Then click " Get updates " > Update all

Note: You can turn on automatic updates in the Microsoft Store to make sure you won’t miss future updates.

Select the Start screen, then select Microsoft Store

In Microsoft Store at the upper right, select the account menu (the three dots) and then select Settings .

Under App updates, set Update apps automatically to On .

1. Run Flight Simulator with administrator rights:

Right-click the desktop icon of the application (or the executable file in the installation directory) and select Properties.

Select the Compatibility tab.

Click Change settings for all users.

Under Privilege Level, check Run this program as administrator.

Click Apply.

1. Reset your copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator (Windows Store Version)

Uninstall the game

Press the Windows Key

Type in wsreset

Right-click and select run as administrator

Once complete perform a system reboot

Press the Windows Key

Reinstall the game (Please install the game to your C drive)

Type in Apps and Features

Find Microsoft Flight Simulator on the list

Select Advanced Options

Select Reset

Verify integrity of local game files (Steam)

In Steam , right click Microsoft Flight Simulator from your games list

Select Properties from the context menu

From the Properties menu select Local Files

Click ’ Verify Integrity of Local Game Files…

1. Use Game Mode
    When you’re playing games on Windows 10, Game Mode makes gaming your PC’s top priority, so you get the best possible game performance. For more info, see [Use Game Mode while gaming on your Windows 10 device](link removed).

2. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card and updates for windows:

Nvidia : link removed

AMD : link removed

1. Increase the Virtual Memory (Pagefile) on your system

In the Windows Seach bar, type Advanced system settings and open the Control Panel .

Make sure you’re on the Advanced tab .

Click the Settings button from under the Performance

On the Performance Options box , go to the Advanced tab > Performance

Click on Settings

On the Virtual Memory box, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives

Click to select the drive on which Windows 10 is installed (by default C:)

Click to select the Custom size radio button.

In the now-enabled fields, type the minimum and maximum size of the Pagefile in megabytes (MB) according to the physical memory present in your computer.

Click Set and then click OK .

Restart your computer.

1. Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

link removed

1. Disconnect all other USB devices from the PC before launching the game. Some USB devices could be mistakenly detected as a controller.

2. Close all open programs and reboot your system:

Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously.

Type msconfig into the box and press Enter.

Choose Selective startup.

Uncheck Load startup items.

Reboot your system.

Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator again.

If the issue persists, please send us your DxDiag and Msinfo.

12 Likes

exactly same problem with me… have also a similar setup with a GTX 1080. It keeps on crashing to the desktop without any error message.

Also already tried to disable XMP in BIOS and upgraded to Win10 2004. Nothing worked for me and game keeps on crashing.

12 Likes

Same thing is happening to me as well with my GTX 1080 32GB RAM. I cannot fly a simple flight. The sim keeps crashing out of no where. max 15-20 minutes and it crashes to desktop. From the time i downloaded until now. Support seems to just copy paste the and reply. no fix

23 Likes

Same thing is happening to me as well with my GTX 1080 32GB RAM. I cannot fly a simple flight. The sim keeps crashing out of no where. max 15-20 minutes and it crashes to desktop. From the time i downloaded until now. Support seems to just copy paste the and reply. no fix,

ADDING MORE.
I tried locking fps to 30 to see the usage. from 100 to 60% of GPU usage doesnt fix this issue. i dont think its causing because of our GPUs

9 Likes

same issue: 1060 16GB i7 etc I replaced the with a RTX 2070, but same problem. I could get it to run at medium graphics, but no higher.

Some of the other higher settings such as clouds can be set to ultra with no issue, but as soon as you adjust the no of objects or texture, CPU overload and terminate! to desktop.

I did notice that when just at menus, CPU use goes Very high and GPU is in high use, but whe ou do things it drops. There appears to be a do stuff on idle process. Look like they have a LOT of bugs to iron out yet.

Try low graphics or medium.

3 Likes

Same issues…I9 9900K, 2060 Super, 32gb 3600mhz RAM, MSI motherboard

I backed off all the over clocking of the CPU and GPU, dropped to HIGH from Ultra, all of this seemed to delay the crashes…but could of been a coincidence too. I uninstalled the MSI dragon software, afterburner, overlays, etc. Last thing I did was to underclock my RAM from 3600 (rated speed) to 3200mhz…and it hasn’t crashed since…no idea if its a coincidence or not…but I have since bumped back up to ULTRA settings and it is holding…did some daylight aerobatic flights (high GPU load) some cross country flights…and now I have the 747 going from JFK to Tokyo all night real time and real weather. I’ll see if it crashes sometime tonight.

I’m curious to see what RAM speed others are running.

4 Likes

Same issue, R7 2700, RTX2080, 32GB, installed at separate SSD (E:) also running cache there. Updated Windows10 to 2004 update. Using a Thrustmaster Hotas one at PC setting. The time to the crash is rondom from 5min to 30min.
Runned the game at 4k and 1440p and different detail setting but no difference. Even closing several background apps does not make a difference.

Edit: Even not playing at all but just staying in the menus it also crashes to the desktop.

6 Likes

Same Crash without Message. Sometimes after 3 hours, next at 5 Minute or 20.

Specs: Ryzen 3800x - 4,4GHz, RTX 2080super, 32GB - 3200 MHz

Resolution 1440p and Ultra settings
:confused:

1 Like

Same issues. 10-15 second freezes where GPU utilisation drops to 0% but the game seems to recover. Haven’t made it past 30 minutes with the sim open yet as it invariably crashes to desktop. Windows Event Log has errors as mentioned above. I have submitted those log files on Zendesk over 6 hours ago with no response. Its a disgrace tbh.

i7-8700
32gb ram
RTX 2080ti

5 Likes

Same problem here. In normal flights via the world map, I can’t even get past the loading screen, then it just crashes to desktop before the loading ends. I can get in the tutorial flights, but it crashes at some point or another.

AMD Ryzen 3950x
32 GB RAM, 3600MHZ
GTX 1080

Might be good to know that it happens both when I have or haven’t got my xbox controller connected…

1 Like

And another one. Sometimes Freezes of 5-15s where the game recovers, but it always crashes after 2-20 minutes. Playing on HIGH settings. Sometimes even with BSOD.
Ryzen 3600x
32 GB RAM at 3200
RX 580 (8GB)

1 Like

Not sure if this helps, but, when I finally got everything downloaded and made a first flight, as others have described, a few minutes in the program froze for a few seconds with GPU going to 0% before CTD. This happened a couple times before I remembered that Nvidia had released a new driver that mentioned something about FS2020 (my GPU is an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080), and installing that seemed to correlate with my being able to fly for about an hour without unexpected issues, takeoff to landing.

It did crash again after I tried to go into another flight with the 787-10 and started messing around with stuff in the cockpit (frame rates were fairly choppy on 1080p ultra in that cockpit), so it’s not completely gone, but hopefully there will be more stability updates in the near future…

TLDR: try updating graphics drivers if you haven’t already to see if that helps…

Same issues
i9900k 32gb 1080 ti Auros master gigabyte MB

1 Like

I’m having the same issues as everyone here. Surface Book 2 with a 1060. Everything updated and installed properly. Even playing with an Xbox One controller. All Microsoft products and they don’t play together.

Same here. Followed all the instructions, reinstalled 2x (even on C: as it was on another SSD before), reset overclocking to default. Nothing helped. It even crashed in the menus and several times during installation as well.

Same issue here. Every time I try to do Training 7. Navigation it crashes to desktop about the time I get into Flagstaff. This is happening on both my computers around the same time. One has a 1060 the other a 2060 Super. One time the 2060 machine made it to the end and as I was completing it, it crashed. It is around the 20 min mark it seems to crash. Going to try a different mission to see if the same issue is there.

I have similar issues as you guys

I have noticed a commonality between a few of us

Having the cache on another ssd

Might be worth putting the cache files on the C drive. I also installed some game files to the other ssd. I might try reinstalling to C drive overnight and I’ll report back if it works

FYI: I get crashes to desktop after landing a flight of 1-2 hours (crashes during taxi from a runway - happened twice, I’ve done two long flights) and after about 2 mins of being in a group multiplayer setting

1 Like

I am getting the same… I have raised a bug in Zendesk, but no response yet. It is severely disappointing. Oh well, it looks as though we will have to wait a few more months for a patch to be rolled out. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Same here. Right after loading into the sim at an airport it freezes and shortly after i get a CTD. Can’t even move a centimeter in the sim before it crashes

1 Like

In my case, I’m getting an ucrtbase.dll crash while the flight loads. I narrowed it down to the bing data streaming option. If that is disabled, everything runs fine. As soon as I turn that on - CTD after 1 second. Rolling cache on or off, pagefile size increase - doesn’t make a difference. I have 64GB RAM, so pagefile shouldn’t matter anyway. Maybe antivirus is to blame here? Edit: Probably not :wink: