How many CTDs do you have per number of Flights? Lets compare?

• Between August and October (with a PC setup below minimum requirements) I have no CTDs whatsoever

• Between October and November I had about 5 CTDs in approximately 10 flights and the root cause was probably FSUIPC although not 100% sure, as the issue eventually went away a few updates later (in both addons and MSFS itself)

• Between November and March 8th I had zero CTDs with an upgraded PC setup using a 7-year old GPU (again below minimum requirements)

• Between March 8th (when I installed a brand new 6800XT) and the 20th or so, I had a couple of CTDs before I found a workaround which made things super stable: using Radeon Adrenaline to Manual Tuning, with custom settings only for max fan speed and power limit and everything else set to disabled. Up until that time I had logged around 300 hours of happy flying (probably around 350 if you count the few CTDs of October and also some hours I lost because I was accidentally flying in dev mode for over a week).

• Between March 20th and today I must have got a million CTDs or more, even after 2 Windows reinstallations (with all updates), 3 MSFS reinstallations, 15 different versions of AMD GPU and Chipset drivers (after clean installs), switching BIOS default O/C and XMP on and off, trying the dozens of official and unofficial workarounds that are out there (and some more).

After March 20th I’ve had CTDs with just about every single error you can think of (usually GPU driver timeout followed by vcruntime140.dll), I’ve had CTD loops in the main menu when the game would crash every time while transitioning from the loading screens to main menu (like 10 times in a row), I’ve had CTDs during taxiing, I’ve had CTDs while exiting flights and returning to main menu, I’ve had CTDs in various legs of the flight, I’ve had CTDs when I was in the main menu and I was alt-tab’ing back to Windows (but not when I had first loaded a flight and then alt-tab’ed back to Windows) and so on. There was no pattern really or something I could replicate at will, just erratic CTD upon random CTD.

The only workarounds that seem to have positively helped was to disable Xbox Game Bar and sometimes to launch a different game which inexplicably breaks the CTD main menu loop (while a Windows restart can’t rectify this). No idea what’s going on but I highly doubt it’s a hardware issue, as every other game works fine with zero CTDs, only MSFS crashes in every way possible. Possibly some crazy conflict between MSFS, the specific GPU or its AMD drivers and Windows. At this point I’m pretty sure it’s an MSFS thing, because there’s no evidence to the contrary, everything else is working perfectly fine.

The 120+ votes in Crash to desktop without error message within the last 30-40 days suggest I’m not alone in this, so hopefully we’ll see something in the next sim update (after all Asobo themselves have flagged this specfic thread as fix “ASAP”).

I suspect that many (most?) consistent CTDs are generally related to newer systems and sometimes VR, because there are plenty of users with Big Navis such as 6800/6900 who complain about crashes while I can’t really recall trending comments by many fellow simmers with older cards. With my ancient R9 290X I had zero GPU-related CTDs.