Crash to desktop without error message

I have been thinking about this, and even thought about server issues when this CTD started.

1 CTDs only happen on approach, never on take off or departure.

1. CTDs only seem to happen at very large airports surrounded by big cities or dense population areas.

2. If I have a CTD like I did this morning flying into KMSP, and I do tghe same exact flight, it CTDs in about the same area on approach. I have had this happen many times before in places like London, LA area, Toronto, Montreal etc.

I think the reason that this doesn’t happen on the departure leg, is because when you load the flight it has all kinds of time to get all the scenery required from the server. On approach, it’s a different story. You are losing altitude which requires more data for detail in the lower altitudes of scenery, and you are approaching an area where this data is needed.

This has nothing to do with the persons ISP, but more with the servers . This may be why Asobo doesn’t seem to be able to solve this problem, because they are right next to the severs more than likely so they don’t experience this issue.

Now I may be totally wrong with this theory, but so far I have not read one suggestion by anyone that seems to cure this problem.

Posted just now

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have been thinking about this, and even thought about server issues when this CTD started.

1 CTDs only happen on approach, never on take off or departure.

1. CTDs only seem to happen at very large airports surrounded by big cities or dense population areas.

2. If I have a CTD like I did this morning flying into KMSP, and I do tghe same exact flight, it CTDs in about the same area on approach. I have had this happen many times before in places like London, LA area, Toronto, Montreal etc.

I think the reason that this doesn’t happen on the departure leg, is because when you load the flight it has all kinds of time to get all the scenery required from the server. On approach, it’s a different story. You are losing altitude which requires more data for detail in the lower altitudes of scenery, and you are approaching an area where this data is needed.

This has nothing to do with the persons ISP, but more with the servers . This may be why Asobo doesn’t seem to be able to solve this problem, because they are right next to the severs more than likely so they don’t experience this issue.

Now I may be totally wrong with this theory, but so far I have not read one suggestion by anyone that seems to cure this problem.

So far my theory has panned out. I have gone on 4 flights today averaging around 120 miles each. I stuck to smaller airports away from very large cities. Last flight was into Anchorage, and even though it is a very large airport, the city around it is pretty small. No CTDs!!! I am going to continue doing this and see what happens.

Not true. I have been at cruise and still crashed. In fact the one that happened to be earlier was at 5000ft, 30nm away from my destination.

That said, I used to get an awful lot of crashes when on approach. I believe that particular cause had a workaround for me of enabling both Use Generic Plane models options. That also eliminated the other issue of the ghost cockpit, where other players actions caused switches to randomly flip. I used to see my fuel cutoff for example.

If you are 30 miles from the airport, you are on approach, which is exactly what I was referring to.

The point I wa trying to make, and clearly failing with you, is I have had crashes absolutely no where near airports as well. I hadn’t even contacted anyone about landing anywhere! It has nothing to do with airports or approaches. For example, I had one crash out in the middle of the Caribbean. I was at least 100 miles away from any island at the time. No players, no airports.

One reason, that was supposed to have been fixed, was SimConnect getting overloaded with data. I found that my sim was much more stable I’d I did not run either Littlenavmap, or Volanta. I had no crashes for about a month, and a half by avoiding running those.

Another reason, that has thankfully been fixed, was the one I mentioned earlier, regarding other players in the vicinity. I regularly got crashes when large amount of players were nearby, usually on group flights. I would crash while on final, about a minute out from landing. Or I would crash within a few seconds of spawning at the airport everyone is about to leave. I even had crashes just as I approached a group of players midway between airports. Turning on Use Generic Plane models fixed that, and I used those options for about 3 months till they resolved it. You may have looked at that, and thought it was about approaches again, but that was nothing more than coincidence. Others thought it was about the airports themselves, but in reality it was about human controlled aircraft in the vicinity, and it just happens to be that large densities of players were at these places.

Some suggestions really helped, like ensuring you only have one version of C++ installed. Following that advice has greatly reduced their frequency.

Any solution to CTD with AI traffic yet? Still can’t fly with any traffic without CTD

Yesterday I tested AI Traffic using this IFR flight plan:

KEWR KJFK/CHANT.I31L

Had two CTDs at the same place with AI Traffic enabled. Had zero CTDs for five flights with AI Traffic disabled. Looks like AI Traffic is still causing CTDs.

I get CTD’s on long flights (i.e. many waypoints loaded) using AP - particularly with the CJ4. However, after starting up MSFS2020, if I go to Task Manager, Details, scroll to Flight Simulator, right click for the menu, and set Priority to High, I don’t get CDT’'s. Watching system resources during flight, and they never seem stressed after boosting RAM to 32GB (run maybe 30% to 50% with a spike to 60% on GPU). but will still get CDT’s unless I remember to set the priority to high.

Great thought thanks. Tried it but no luck

1 Like

Started getting CTD yesterday(Sim would get to load screen, at 3/4 mark just crash), same event message as many above. Only thing I had changed was adding a new powered USB hub to my setup. Removed that device and MSFS 2020 works no crashing. May be some hardware conflict for MSFS 2020, everything else I fly will let me use the hub (DCS, Elite Dangerous)

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6038d404
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6038d404
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000e8c803
Faulting process id: 0x5ba4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7148a629c209b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.17.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.17.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: f2b24f81-1599-4b4b-93fa-be4d2dbcf20f
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.17.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Read in another forum, about paging file, set it to system managed, now msfs 2020 starts no CTD with usb hub on.

which means your value which you former had set manually, was too low :wink:

Hello I hope I can help you

Important this too

No improvement over the Sim Update III
Today’s CTD is under N 46.044397261415 E 6.1535083240597 - IFR flight at cruise level after 2 hours. It’s really frustrating

Note on my side adding the below on FSUIPC 7 Ini file solve all CTD…
ProvideAIdata=No

There is something called CTD Vaccine that has a thread on the Avsim MSFS 2020 forum. It involves a small change in the registry and the instructions that are posted about this Vaccine are very easy to follow , and it is easily reversed if you don’t see any benefit. I was averaging about 25% of my flights ending in a CTD. I installed this Vaccine 4 days ago, have since flown about 15 flights, and not one CTD.

You may ask why don’t I post this fix here, and it is because it involves a small change to the registry, and I wouldn’t want to be responsible for someone messing up their registry. If you are interested, go to the forum on Avsim, search for CTD Vaccine, read it and try it if you want to. I am sold on it at this point.

2 Likes

after today’s update I tried a flight and Oh surprise, none the PFD, ECAM, every display is off, tried to turn it on and nothing, tried Ctrl + E and nothing!
Does anyone know abt this issue, I have the FBW version, I’m updating to see what happens!
I’ll keep u updated

Update: Fixed with an Acft update

Hi Jhonny,

it’s not a CTD :wink:

Beside of the used mod the KNOW ISSUES mention such display issue too:

• On rare occasions, Aircraft screens might not initialize correctly upon loading a flight. Please restart the flight to fix the issue.

The reproducible CTD I reported in 100% reproducible CTD at specific coordinates for months is still not fixed with the latest update and they conveniently locked that thread… :neutral_face:
My patch from that thread is still working though to fix that CTD.

I remember that! I would imagine these crashes are very far down the pecking order.

My avionics die after about five minutes. I can keep flying (172) using the basic instruments but have no flaps either. Thoughts anyone?