Crash to desktop without error message

@Gsx31 did I say the CTDs are not caused by MSFS?
Pretty sure I was directing the post to those that have not removed the adds before posting.

Please do not cast aspersions where none are warranted. My purpose is to keep this thread free of the CTDs that are related to aftermarket adds and NOT a problem with either the sim or a possible setting/system issue.

If you would like to put me on ignore I would not be adverse to that as I would then not be forced to put up with insensitive posts like this.

1 Like

I do not agree with you friend, we as end users have the right to post here regardless of having addons or not, I think the content of the community folder is valid as a test remover and leave the “Clean” yes of any addon, but I do not think it is valid to redirect topic for those who have the “Clean” yes, and 90% of users have some type of addon on yes, sorry friend, I totally disagree with your post, I’m sorry.

Again, I think it is worth testing as such you have proposed, but not as a permanent measure, we have the right to have our favorite airport or our favorite painting even done by fans.

Even if removing the addons from “Community” solves the error, it is not acceptable at all, some addons are paid, it may not be a problem for microsoft, but it is debatable among users of this forum as exchange of experience and tests together.

4 Likes

Hello guys, I came to report my report after the last updates.

First, I was able to make a flight normally free of CTDs, but I did the test only on a route that is the SBGR-SBGL, the outward journey I was able to make again normally with the VSync turned off (Only configuration change I made), but on the way back I decided to turn on VSync, when I started the flight I had CTD after 30min of flight, after that I remade the flight, only this time with VSync off, and I managed to fly normally back to SBGR (SBGL-> SBGR).

I don’t know if the problem was in VSync, but I’m still not sure if that is it, I will perform more tests on the same route with VSync turned off and then I will turn it on again.

When I have more reports, I’ll share them here.

True, but then the error is probably with the addon, and not the sim. The thrust of this thread really is crashes caused by the sim itself, not addons. If you remove the addon, and you no longer have crashes, you have your culprit. It could be handled by the sim better, true enough, but the vendor of the addon should be made aware, and they should investigate why the crash happens, and may have an idea of a solution.

1 Like

Yes all my CTD were with the Just Flight Arrow too and I have removed some add ons which were different interior and the GPS 530 improvement.
For the moment I have unlinked the Community Folder completely and not running real world traffic. So far 3 flights of over 2 hours have been trouble free.
I realise this means nothing much in the way of fault diagnosis but is encouraging for a change.

Yes, but let’s get to the facts, first of all that this theory has been tested so much that it is at the beginning of the topic, so for some it may not have worked, in this case, me.

Another fact is that if the problem were addons the whole planet would be in trouble, even the streamers.

I fly, for example, at the busiest airport in Latin America (SBGR - Guarulhos Internacional Airport), this is the only addon I have, if the problem was in it, even the supplier had launched a new update which, in fact, was in February and on the blog of vendor has no complaints about crashes in the addon region.

I deal with this at a theoretical level, which should be tested by anyone who passes by this topic, but one should not be blamed directly, otherwise it would have solved the problem completely.

Another thing, the topic was for those who would have the “Clean” yes of addon, there would be no one here.

The test of leaving the “clean” yes is valid, but it is still a theory, one should not accuse the problem directly, otherwise the topic would be solved.

A counter-argument might be that the JF Arrow doesn’t cause crashes for ALL people, so it may be something that’s a combination between that 3rd party addon and MSFS. There are some who have reported CTDs with Arrow when flying for over an hour, although I haven’t been able to replicate that myself as all my trips with that aircraft were 30-50 minutes long so far.

On the other hand I get consistent CTDs with CJ4 WT every single time regardless of the location or phase of flight, but I’ve never seen anyone else compain about that aircraft either here or in WT’s Discord. So I somehow find it hard to put the blame on CJ4, especially as I was flying it for months with no issues and its CTDs coincided with the period when MSFS started crashing by itself in the main menus. With other aircraft such as the default C152/172’s I haven’t had a recent CTD, which means it’s not my PC or my network or my factory overclocking or whatever else. Otherwise I woudn’t have a situation where some aircraft never cause CTDs while others cause CTDs 100% of the time but can’t be replicated by other people. Using Occam’s Razor or even common sense, it’s highly more likely that this is an MSFS issue rather than anything else.

All this leads me to believe that lots of 3rd party addons aren’t inherently problematic even when CTDs are isolated to them, especially when the crashes can’t be replicated by all people. Something is probably wrong with MSFS itself and the way it can’t handle certain combinations of hardware/3rd party software/etc. Of course this is a wild guess and it doesn’t help anyone in debugging the issue. I guess the only thing that can be done is to report the issue in both the 3rd party’s service desk and MSFS Zendesk’s.

^ This.

With regard to the matter of Add-Ons in relation to CTD’s, I just wanted to say as a Noobie here and Noobie to MSFS, who is experiencing all manner of crashes and CTD’s, with a fresh installation and no added content whatsoever, (pure vanilla), I really wish people would remove all Add-Ons before reporting their CTD’s. The whole debacle with this sim is complicated enough with people blaming everything but the sim itself for our woes; our GPU’s, Windows build/updates, our PSU’s, our overclocks, our underclocks, our monitors, our usb device settings, our input devices, the order in which we plug them in, how many we have, or don’t have and seemingly everything in between and what type of strainer we use to pour our tea at home, does the milk go in first and not forgetting how important it is to only drink from a China cup.

Please people, stop with the add-ons if you’re having issues and report your issues with the base sim. Give us all a fighting chance and reduce the amount of smoke screens the developers can hide behind.

Thanks. Rant over.

4 Likes

I agree with you and I think that everyone who goes through this topic should pass this test beforehand.

1 Like

Pretty sure most people reporting CTDs here have tried removing their addons and community folders at some point, because it’s the simplest quickest thing to do (simpler than even updating/downgrading GPU drivers or whatever else). Yet the CTDs continued. Obviously if one hasn’t tried to remove addons first, it overcomplicates things. But MSFS can very well crash on its own for a dozen different reasons, probably more. Doesn’t seem to need any obvious external help to do that (it kept crashing for me even after clean Windows/MSFS reinstalls).

I don’t know if I did enough testing before I could post on this topic

To start, the base, a level configuration to run MSFS

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX 6800 XT
RAM: 4x8Go 3200MHz
SSD: 1To

1 -Increase from 16GB of RAM to 32GB
It didn’t change anything, I still have random CTDs.

2 -English (US) Language Installation
I was able to make flights of more than 10 minutes before having a CTD, I can now make flights from 1h until 3h. But I can also get a CTD after 2 minutes.

3 -Community folder empty.
It didn’t change anything, I still have random CTDs. First test with the TBM930 CTD after 3 minutes starting from London

4 -Uninstall ALL Microsoft Visual C++ reinstalling the last Microsoft Visual C++ 2015, 2017 and 2019

5 -Uninstalling ALL Microsoft Visual C ++ packages (Without REINSTALLING them)
MSFS Still Works, BUT there are still CTDs.

6 -Increase Virtual Memory from 16GB to 32GB

7 -Increase Virtual Memory from 32 GB to 48Go
I was able to do a 5 hour flight with a CTD at the end in front of the boarding gangway.

8 -Stability test although I did no OC, with LinpackXtreme
Everything is OK, but nothing new on CTD

9 -Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive, without any other program, all installed updates, MSFS is installed on a 2nd partition.

10 -Uninstall the RX 6800 XT AMD driver in administrator mode, blocking the installation of the driver by Windows.

11 -Launch MSFS as an administrator.

12 -Power limit increase in AMD driver up to +15%
It didn’t change anything, I still have random CTDs. First test with the TBM930 CTD after 3 minutes starting from London

13 -Display driver timeout This hasn’t changed, I still have random CTDs.

14 -Reinstallation of 3 different Windows 10 images on 3 different hard drives, as well as many reinstalls of MSFS.
It didn’t change anything, I still have random CTDs…

15 -Tests of different versions of the AMD driver of the RX 6800 XT GPU.
I still have random CTDs.

16 - I would add in bulk, modifications to the registry, found here, or there, and probably other things that I forgot.
But none of that, did nothing to resolve the CTDs.

17- Limitation in Adrenaline of mini FPS to 30 and Maxi to 35 FPS (Workaround seen on another subject)
I still have CTD

8 Likes

You Are a Warrior, congrats hahaha

not being ironic, but I really congratulate you on the tests and the dedication.

2 Likes

@Gsx31

Respect to you GSX. My own work on this has mirrored yours exactly and in addition I have also just installed a brand new Corsair RM1000X PSU and a HOF RTX 3090

Just updating another new fresh MSFS installation and crossing fingers it will work this time, if not, FS2020 is going into the trash, never to be reinstalled.

1 Like

I have done the same, and my three latest flights have been free from CTD’s, I suspect the GTN-750 beta mod or the new Lighting Improvement that causing the problems in my case, it seems to be one of them, but I’m not 100% sure yet.

Microsoft f*ked up with the new update, thats my brief diagnostic :sob:

1 Like

Respect Gsx31
Could it be that this game has problems with AMD hardware?

my hardware has no AMD, yet i have the CTD

2 Likes

You could probably remove “AMD” from that sentence and it would remain accurate :laughing:

2 Likes

same for me

I was wondering what was the internet speed you had, to find out, if these CTDs, could not be caused by loss of data during the download of the base game, or various updates.

With a speed of only 16.1 Mb / s, it takes me much longer to download than the one with a speed of 1 Gb / s
Maybe the longer the download time, the greater the risk of data loss …

If I take Assetto Corsa as an example, it might happen that the game works, but some cars crash the game.
A simple file check through Steam solves the problem by downloading a few MB of data.
But with MSFS which reloads EVERYTHING whereas if necessary it lacks some MB. So we go around in circles, and the problem could persist.

I dropped MSFS for a few days, I only flew over Paris last night, for 1 hour. Then I went to Toulouse, with 3 basic planes from the game, I had 3 CTDs in a few minutes.