Crashing to desktop, now 70% of time

About 2 weeks ago FS was only crashing 10-15% of time, over time its just crashing more frequently, and now its crashing more of the time!? It has now got to a situation where FS is no longer playable! It crashes at various places, and it is NOT not related to scenery density. The last crash was landing at Biggin Hill Airport UK, just after taxi-in, parking and stopping engine. Biggin Hill is very sparse in scenery. The scenery level is now on MED. A few weeks ago this was set at HIGH, and it crashed to desktop less often? This is now the end of FS2020 for me. I have never been able to sort out why I could not get the ATC sound to work on the PC speakers, either. I am angry at Microsoft and Asobo for releasing this sim in such an unstable condition!

In my complete Time flying with the Simulator I had one CTD.
I also had no CTDs with the Alpha. I think it is your Hardware or some drivers or Addons you use

5 Likes

Your anger is understandable.
If it’s really the end for you then I won’t bother you.

In case you still want some help we could need some information from you. CTDs occur due to various reasons. MSFS is not very forgiving to slight instabilities due to overclocking and 3rd party addons might conflict with each other. This level of CTDs is far from normal. So we might try to narrow down what’s going wrong.

• specs of your computer (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, NVME or HD etc.)
  • overclocking of your CPU, RAM or GPU
  • addons installed at time of the CTDs (if any)
  • drivers (GPU, Chipset, etc) up to date

About the ATC sound: I had that problem too. Turns out the volume on the virtual radio set in the plane was turned down. Have you tried that?

6 Likes

What I mean every System is different. So it could be your Hardware or other Software. U had other problems and reinstalled Windows completly new I know it is a lot of work but a nice clean system has a lot advantages.

2 Likes

There is a g36 mod that crashes my pc everytime- In the last few weeks I had a few CTD’s with no warning- I since increased virtual memory and have been fine since. Reinstall of windows is not a bad option.

Yeah, “what mods have you installed” is my first question. This is why I don’t do any of the mods that people have made, because I don’t want this to start happening.

2 Likes

Yes, my first question too.

And then ‘what are your PC specs?’

1 Like

My first question would be, Why didn’t you search the forum for “CTD”? And if you did, why didn’t read the gazillion posts and try all the solutions?

1 Like

My PC Spec: i7-6700K (o/c 15%) and water cooled. 32GB DDR4 ram (3200MHz). Asus GTX980Ti. MB Asus Maximus VIII Hero, 1.48TB SSD’s (750GB free). Saitek X52. Oculus Rift VR. Recent Asus MB drivers, and very latest Nvidia Drivers. Regularly perform De-frag and HD optimizing. All other Apps and Aerofly FS2 Flightsim work a treat. Aerofly Flightsim has never once crashed, very smooth frames and the VR in Aerofly is much clearer and smoother in Aerofly FS2. FS2020 is running lower resolution 2560x1440, and is now set to medium graphics. Only 2 Orbx add-ons, London city scenery and London City Airport. Also to say that I planned to do a complete hardware upgrade last October, CPU, RAM, MB, and a RTX3080. However, I STILL can not get hold of a RTX3080 GPU, thanks to all the pesky BOTS, et. My PC is very clean and uncluttered, and Win10 starts up in a few seconds. I am going back to Aerofly FS2 for my flight simming, and will try again with FS2020 after an upgrade, whenever that is? Thanks for all replies.

Try removing the overclock. I have an -7-9700K, same ram, and a RTX2070. FS on my system just does not like the overclock. Everything else runs fine except FS. Worth a try.

1 Like

There have been several posts here on overclocking causing CTD, I think LovesickChief may have a good point.

1 Like

If I where you, and if you could afford it, id upgrade your card for something in the RTX range, well worth it. it would also mean you need to upgrade your mb too, and then the cpu

I would buy a RTX3080 today if I could get hold one, but the supply problem is still hopeless, at least in the UK.

sorry to hear that. we had a problem with getting hold of it in Finland, but they came into stock very briefly, but was able to buy 2 one for my pc and one for my daughter. I gave up the idea of waiting for the RTX3080Ti or the RTX3090 which comes with 24gb ram

It is not easy to find the solutions out when this happens.

Being a regular on these forums, I will tell you that a very high percentage of those folks posting here with constant CTD’s eventually found some setting causing the issue and solved it. There is a very good chance that the original poster will find this out likewise.
That is probably why KraeheBube33532 suggested this.

Are you having this issue?
If you are having issues, and you need any assistance, let us know.

If not, remember when folks are trying to help, don’t be so critical of them, you too may need some advice from this forum as well, and when that happens, believe me, all help is appreciated.
If everyone gets criticized for helping, no one will respond.
This forum is about trying to get users “back in the air”, there is no need for this.
There are also over 2 million copies of the sim sold, and comparitively speaking the amount of constant CTD issues posted about here is quite a small amount.
Seems to me it must have been tested fairly well.
I will be the first to say this sim is nowhere close to perfect so far, and there are times I get quite frustrated with it. I have even stated I felt a bit “taken in” by the initial PR. I though it was a lot further along in its development than it was.
We are all in the same boat (sim) here, don’t take your frustrations out on folks trying to help, it does no good.

1 Like

I’m having exactly the same issue as you. It is coming to the point where it is near impossible to complete a flight that lasts over 30 mins.

That’s nothing new, it’s been like this since when it first launched. and the AI Control is still messed up.

I’ve experienced the same since the update.
It worked out perfectly with top settings, but now it is not playable for more than a couple minutes.
I downloaded the update and did not start playing until a week later (today).
So I think most of the people here will say it is your hardware, but i don’t buy it at all. It is a software problem.
I downloaded the latest drivers today from Nvidia, lowered the graphic settings but it is exactly the same no matter what.

If it worked perfectly before the latest update, so now is the question what really happened?

2 Likes

I agree. In some instances its possible that hardware/drivers could be the problem but for the most part its the sim is the issue.

1 Like

I don’t blame anyone I only said that I am not experiencing this issues.
The most of the people have Addons installed if not it is an other problem but after this many Updates the sim should not crash so often.
I think if this happens we the Community should help to find a solution.

I know that many people have problems and I also think that this sim is not finished. The most problems are fixable problems. So if the sim for some People is not working sorry that is bad but beta tests are coming and we should get better tested updates in the future.

2 Likes