Crippled FPS - Specific Cloud Layer?!

I made this vid demonstrating how FPS become crippled when a specific cloud layer is being depicted in MSFS. running v1.16.2.0 but was there long before this Sim update 4.
Any ideas?

This thing has been around since my FSX days 15 years ago. Iā€™d be surprised if the FPS doesnā€™t drop if I fly though this type of cloud.

Not just Flight Sim though, but on my other games, whenever thereā€™s a fog particles being rendered, the FPS just drops, always.

1 Like

another example that there are still leftovers from fsx engineā€¦ :wink: we do have far-better hardware than fsx days thoughā€¦! its not accpetableā€¦ :confounded:

2 Likes

you know whatā€™s not acceptable?

Iā€™m on i9-9900K, and RTX 2080 Ti, 32 GB RAMā€¦ and I set my Graphics settings to the lowest possible settings and Render scaling at 30, with AntiAliasing off. My image looks horrible, and surprise surpriseā€¦ I get 15 FPS in the cockpitā€¦ Parked at the gate. with no Traffic, no ground crew, and no parked aircrafts.

Oh man! FFS?! I run 9900K as well @4,8Ghz RTX3080 (1080Ti was running very well) 32GB RAM running high to ultra on a 5760x1080 getting 30 ground to 60 in airā€¦ check the rig! its very weird! share a pic to see what image quality you get so we can help you out. are you using the RTX2080 Ti?

1 Like

Solved the problem after browsing through the forum. I had to disable Hyper-V in Windows feature as well as go to my Bios and Disable Hardware virtualisation technology. I got 30 FPS on ULTRA now.

1 Like

didnt know what Hyper-v was after your comment?! checked it in windows was alredy off now going to check Hardware virtualisation technology in bios

Yeah, thatā€™s was because I turned Hyper-V on just for the sake of having things enabled. But I dunno if it helps the Cloud layer thing. At least the Hardware Virtualisation Technology helped me with my ā€œLimited by Mainthreadā€ low FPS issue.

Of course you do. It would never be any different.

With that config your GPU is doing absolutely nothing. I have a 3900K & 2080ti and with a mix of high and ultra settings, terrain and object LOD of 200 & 175 respectively and render scaling of 80% I get anywhere from 30-60fps depending on aircraft and/or where Iā€™m flying.

With a machine like yours you need to be pushing it much much harder for it to work properly.

The days of ā€˜turn detail and resolution down = higher FPSā€™ no longer exist.

If itā€™s any use Iā€™ll happily share my settingsā€¦

It was a low CPU utilisation caused by the enabled virtualisation feature.

Thanks, but Iā€™m happy with my setup now, as I said, Iā€™m getting 30 fps with maxxed out ultra settings now after disabling it, because Iā€™m no longer limited by my CPU thread.

1 Like

Climbing thru high clouds fps drops when looking outside . Is there a setting to be changed or any simple fixes for this?

I have the same issue. No solution except not going outside.

1 Like

You are assuming that flying into clouds should not impact FPS or maybe improve it. However, MSFS is rendering all the scenery and objects and clouds behind the clouds around you. If it didnā€™t, you wouldnā€™t see anything rendered when you fly out of the clouds. And you wouldnā€™t want to see that because MSFS would pause while the scenery is rendered. I know I wouldnā€™t.

The sim currently has issues where all of a sudden with no reason starts to get choppy. Whenever this happens, I save the mission, exit the game, restart and reload the mission then the framerates go back to normal. There are some events in this sim that is triggering this massive degradation in framerates. For example, approaching KSEA, I get a good 20 fps while in glide-slope but once I hit the runway, the framerates tank to 8 fps. Something is definately broken. Iā€™ve opened zendesk but they show ā€œsolvedā€ but I donā€™t think so.

3 Likes

Same here. Clouds have a serious performance hit.

1 Like

MSFS continually either downloads or reads from local files and temporarily store them in memory all the graphics information needed to make the frames the GPU sends to the monitor. Depending on the location, the amount of files needed overwhelm the CPU and fills memory to maxium. Windows move memory pages in and out of memory which slows down MSFS after a period time. Saving the flight and restarting it gives the CPU and Windows time to process the file queue. Try lowering your graphics parameters or reduce monitor resolution (2k to 1080p or 4k to 2k).

At many of the larger airports, MSFS is gathering files of graphics information for every object and scenery item in the airports, airport vehicles, ground crew, aircraft, buildings, landscape, etc. Unfortunately MSFS doesnā€™t give users any warnings or messages. It just tanks FPS.

Nope. Neither CPU nor memory are at full utilization when it happens so I donā€™t think so.

Same issue with me but only happens when my clouds are set to ultra and the weather preset is broken clouds

1 Like

No issue with any other weather preset

When the CPU is overwhelmed, I donā€™t mean that it is maxed out. The CPU is supposed to process all the graphics information in memory as fast or faster than requested by MSFS. If MSFS requests too much graphic information for the power of the CPU, then the CPU cannot retrieve the files fast enough from memory. Actually, the CPU % drops because of the Windows memory management bottleneck. BTW Windows starts managing memory around 70% to avoid memory from filling up.

Of course, all of this is driven by the ā€œLimited by Main Threadā€ problem. Basically, MSFS is requesting graphics information to be processed faster that it can be processed. MSFS can only do ONE thing, continue to store to be processed graphics information in memory. The queue depth of the files to be processed is reflected in the FPS. The more files in queue the slower the FPS.