CRJ-700: Unable to climb to cruise altitude above FL340

I’ve reported this issue to Aerosoft
CRJ-700: Unable to climb to cruise altitude above FL340 - General Discussion - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES

I purchased the CRJ-550/700 from the Aerosoft site for Microsoft Flight Simulator starting with the original 1.0 version. I just updated to the latest 1.0.15.0 version running against Flight Simulator version 1.21.13.0 (SU7). Currently on a flight from RJFF to RJAA. While in SPEED climb for FL370 with the throttle set to CLIMB the aircraft climbed to a maximum of 33,500 feet, leveled off and bled off airspeed below 140kts until it stalled. I descended to FL310 leveled off and it bled off airspeed again to below 140 kts with the throttle set to CLIMB. The aircraft stalled. Descended to FL270 and again the bled off speed. Pushed the throttle to MAX POWER and now airspeed bled off to around 175 knots. However, airspeed eventually bled off below 140kts and stalled again. Additionally, it occasionally pitches up and rolls violently. I descended down to FL210 (and perhaps I could go a bit higher) where things seem to return to normal; increasing throttle leads to increased airspeed (when leveled off). Everything was working fine with the previous version 1.0.11.0 and SU7 absent the known blank HUD issue.

Ah, yes. That would explain it. Live weather turned on and quite balmy at around FL340

Same here. Since yesterday I’m not able to climb above (approximately) 25000 ft. with any aircraft. The altitude depends on the location. So it would make sense, that live weather has something to do with it. Is it maybe the altitude where the contrails are supposed to show up?

Just been having the same problem still. Are you still experiencing this?

Was up at FL370 yesterday, no problems. Make sure you’re following the proper climb speed profile so you don’t end up on the back of the drag curve - typically 250kt to FL100/unrestricted airspace, 290kt until mach 0.74, and then hold mach 0.74 to altitude. If there’s still huge temperature ranges they need to be reported.

1 Like

Make sure engine anti- ice is OFF. That will significantly degrade climb performance.

One of the problem was I had ATC clearance for initial climb to 7000, which I had reached pretty quickly and then the plane had levelled itself. Then I had the next clearance for FL190, which I didn’t know how to get the plane to climb. There does not seem to be a level change or altitude intervention button on this. Do I just increase the altitude selector without without pressing altitude hold and keep n the speed hold. In the end I started to use v/s mode to climb which I realise is not the correct thing…

Set altitude, hit the SPD button & set your climb speed target & throttle up, or you can climb in V?S if you want to juggle the throttle yourself.

I realise this but if you reached an intermediate or initial altitude and then after a while you need to climb further how do you do that. Do simply set the new climb altitude and let The plane do its work. Is that right?

Yes, new altitude & hit SPD again.

It’s pretty straight forward,

Set the new assigned altitude, and then press the SPD button to engage. Set it to the climb speed you want and then advance the thrust levers to the climb detent to get back to climb power.

Strange coincidence… I was just watching a video on this aircraft yesterday mentionin the fact that it has a “Supercritical” wing shape. In essence, you must never allow the speed to get too low, or it just cannot climb. If you end up stuck going too slow, the remedy is to descend for a while in order to get your airspeed back up, and then climb again (assuming a better angle of course).

1 Like