CRJ-700 Wow!

I’ve been flying it on vatsim and the first few flights were rough, as you said there’s a lot going on and it’s not a forgiving aircraft. But I’ve got it down now and it’s still a challenge and it’s awesome! For most, get VERY familiar and comfortable before venturing into vatsim with it, but once you do, it’s a blast.

Glad to hear it, because it definitely isn’t intended that way.

I think your son would agree with me when I say this… "Any little desktop pilot who criticizes other desktop pilots for not being real enough, can go eat a whole back of donkeyb****.

Because seriously, my flightsim snobs, it’s Microsoft, it is NOT a certified flight training device and no matter how “Study Level” you want to claim it is, the FAA says you’re a fool." <residents of other countries, please insert your local authority, because they say the same thing>

And that, in short is my opinion of people who judge others for how they choose to fly thier sim.

Which means, Mark… You and I are on the same team.

Take care, and enjoy your CRJ.

1 Like

Hi PablodNinja, thanks for the follow up. My son so far hasn’t made fun of me, but I’m prepared!
Best regards,
Mark

1 Like

haha, I fear you may have misunderstood.

I meant that your son would probably agree that forum jockey’s aren’t in a place to tell you how to run your sim.

Edit – On a second read I got your point… Yes! He’ll be fierce I’m sure!

1 Like

You got it :slight_smile:

IM like you, I like the flight plans done automatically like with the stock aircraft. I dont want to spend my valuable time learning data entry for the CRJ. I was hoping someone in the know would know if there is a way to get the CRJ to import the MSFS generated flight plans automatically just as the default planes do.

There is no way to do that. You can import SimBrief plans right now.

unfortunately, this kind of detail is exactly what this add-on is about.

I’m sorry if you bought it not understanding the complexity, but that is quite literally what you paid all that money to get. Well, let me rephrase that… That complexity is why the product price is where it is.

I do sincerely hope you can find the joy in it… Or a way to a refund… Because its a shame if you’re out that much money for something you didn’t know you didn’t want.

Agree to Ninija.
Also, remember simbrief import method(as a company FPLN loading into CRJ) has done 90% of days entries. I got the paid CDU add-on that I can type with an iPad next to my chair. :slight_smile:

For the price of this aircraft, you need to get POS Init, perf data and wind data correctly input, so that the descent profile and TOD can be calculated by FMS and showing up between LEGs.

I’d say to anyone struggling with the CRJ to follow along with this tutorial and make a checklist from it. I watched it once then went and did a successful flight.

It does become a little bit busy on descent but if you’ve flown any larger jets before it won’t take long to pick up the speed and altitude management.

I believe he starts from the Turnaround setting - if you prefer cold and dark just add Battery on, Connect GPU, GPU on, IRS To Nav and Packs On and Recirc Fan on to your checklist at the start.

This will get you up and flying, albeit the manuals will get you up and flying in a closer to real-life way. But learn the basics in this tutorial and you can enjoy the aircraft before starting to learn real world procedures from the manual.

Happy flying!

1 Like

Sim brief plans are flawed. Discontinuity in almost every flight plan. The ingame flight plans are perfect, no errors.

I don’t import flight plans from SimBrief, but discontinuities actually aren’t a bad thing. Even the real Collins FMS often inserts discontinuities (by design) when you recall a flight plan using datalink.

1 Like

Those are real. And discontinuities are used in real life plans all the time. One of the reasons is vectoring. There is nothing wrong with having discontinuities. If you wish, you can delete them from the plan. MSFS is actually the one that’s building incorrect plans with no vectoring.

2 Likes

Personally I find learning the more complex parts of the system a lot of fun but I also like to be able to hop in and get started right away, then learn more as I go along. So the CRJ was a little rough at first because I did have to read more of the docs and get some pointers before I could consistently get going.

I’m pretty happy with it at this stage – the different FMS is a lot of fun to work with, now that I understand how to set it up and deal with the discontinuities. I’m using SimBrief save files to import my flight plans, and until I get a little more familiar with the startup sequence I’m usually starting from runway using the EFB’s pre-configured ready-for-takeoff config. It’s really quite fun once you get this far! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the eye opener for me was when I flew PMDG’s tutorial flight for the 737. They explained the reason for discontinuities very well and pointed out that many people just tend to delete them and why it’s the wrong thing to do. Once you are comfortable enough, you can “vector yourself” (cause ATC doesn’t do it properly) using a logical path to the next point on your flight plan.

If you delete discontinuities, you may end up with an unrealistic turn angle on approach - things like 180 degree turns make no sense. Therefore, it’s sensible to “vector yourself” properly using reasonable headings. It’s all part of getting things closer to “reality” of flying.

Likewise, MSFS is completely wrong on Garmin approaches being automatically connected to your flight plans and magically activated. In real Garmin software, which in P3D is incorporated via third party Garmin solutions (by injecting the actual Garmin trainer), you will have to activate approaches. And they will have a completely different “starting point” - one that may not be neatly connected to your flight plan. So you have to be vectored to it by using initial approach fixes or other methods.

In real life flying things are rarely “neat” in terms of flight plans.

One of the reasons injecting a fully completed long-haul plan from the MSFS planner is dumb is because you won’t know your approach or landing runway until you get closer. So you have to modify your plan in-flight. Flight plans are a “live” thing and they are dynamic and they change throughout your flight. You may not even fly a complete SID. You may skip waypoints on STARs. It’s not not very realistic to think that a neat, fully-baked flight plan is what you will fly from beginning to end.

2 Likes

Some wont delete or I create another one trying to delete the other.
Then I end up with 2 !!

Go over the tutorial. Watch YouTube videos on how to operate Collins MCDU systems.

still stumbling over a couple of issues… and yes, i know this is not the right place to announce possible bugs (i know about the aerosoft forums) but it should still be a place to talk about them and maybe i’m just holding it wrong:

no pitch even though at climb / full power (aoa is crazy) - after switching the inside and outside viewes a couple of times, things got back to normal, the plane leveled itself all of a sudden and the speed got up again:

via msfs placed on runway, told efb to go ready for taxi:

left engine failed - should be off by now but nope. the right engine still behaved as expected, though - see those fadec faults and i pulled the lever for the left engine down 3 minutes ago - it’s still running. pushing the stop button didn’t help either:

any ideas? i still love this plane if it’s doing things as i’m expecting it, haha.

Hello,
completely agree, I love this plane, for me it is the best acquisition for the moment in MFS.
I didn’t know this plane, I was used to the 737 767 with XPlane, it took me a while to learn and I’m still learning.
The FMS is similar to Boeing, so it’s ok, but the fact to have a constant monitoring request, especially in cruise to manage the power of the engines according to the winds, and the management of the engines for the approach and landing phase, is really fantastic, no more boredom with this plane of an IFR flight by leaving in automatic mode and go do something else while waiting for the descent phase. :D. And it’s good to have to struggle and look for how things work on this plane, it’s a change! Just to activate the TCAS, I struggled to know how to do it :D. I still have a lot of grey areas to study, like the weather radar or terrain with PFD nothing is displayed, the TCS likewise not seen alert, but I do not know if it works or I do not know how to use it, so I will study :).
I cut my total recording of the flight, commented because of IRL, I resumed just for the approach without comment, the beautiful rendering MFS and this plane to tame, really great.

3 Likes

Discovered a big help in setting up a flight plan for the CJR 700 in Simbrief.

The Simbrief Loader will export your plan to to the correct directory which makes it a great timesaver.

1 Like