CRJ - what is this?

Hey all. Never seen this before on the CRJ 700 - any idea what this fan thingy is and more important - what I’ve forgot to do :rofl:

Seems to be a Ram Air Turbine

2 Likes

I saw this on the EFB (ADJ?) This flight is the first time I’ve actually flipped the ADJ lever open and closed before. Wonder if it left it open - if that is what it as. no idea!

1 Like

I don‘t know how it works for the CRJ, maybe you find a manual for that (real) plane. I could imagine, that it needs to be stowed on ground and that it‘s not possible to stow the ADG in flight. But that‘s just guessing.

1 Like

ADG. Air Driven Generator. Used to power avionics and primary systems in case of a double engine and/or generator failure.

Deploy button is on the low center of the overhead panel and is deploy only.

1 Like

thanks all! It’s the first time during my checks I flipped the red ADG Lever and then back to stow. Must have stayed open. Oops

1 Like

Just interested even though I’m not flying the CRJ: Do you know how the deployment works on the CRJ? Is it just mechanical by gravity or wind or is it some hydraulic or electric system that deploys the ADG?
Gravity extension would explain why it‘s only a deploy switch and cannot be stowed from the cockpit.

I think it is supposed to be stowable using the lever. Saw this old thread on the Aerosoft forum

Maybe I forgot to switch some Gen buttons. I have another CRJ flight later so will play with it.

Found a CRJ FCOM. There it states „The ADG cannot be restowed in flight. It is restowed manually, on the ground, by maintenance personnel.“ (Chapter 7-20-10, https://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/CRJ-00_and_00-Electrical.pdf)

brilliant. thanks. makes sense as I flipped the switch on next flight and couldn’t restow it. But on the EFB on the maintenance screen there is a request to restow - I guess that’s the ground team :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember the first time I deployed it “what the heck is that sound”

Took me awhile to figure out what it was, even longer to realize it can’t be stowed in air :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The only reason to deploy it is if your in air and loose AC output from both engines and the APU.

2 Likes

It should deploy automatically in the event of a loss of all AC power. A manual control is provided to deploy it in the event it does not fall out manually. The manual control however should be stowed afterwards, even though it will not stow the ADG. When the manual control is in the deploy position, the aircraft batteries are then connected to the DC busses and will begin to discharge. The ADG only provides power to the AC Essential Bus. The batteries are charged from AC Busses 1 and 2, which would be dead at this point.

1 Like

I don’t know about the 700, but I used to sling bags on 200’s when Pinnacle was flying them. Ramp people were trained to avoid getting close to the door, and that door was marked “Keep Clear” or similar. Apparently, if it deployed, it did so with gusto and could cause injury if it hit you in the process.

1 Like