Crosswind handling on the ground

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No.
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No.
Brief description of the issue:
The sim does not handle crosswind corrections on the ground at all. If you try to hold a crosswind correction on takeoff the plane tries to turn into the ground. The wing you have the yoke turned to literally tries to dip down and hit the runway. It’s also completely squirelly, the plane will not track straight and it’s all over the place. So the only alternative is no crosswind correction, which of course wants to pick up the downwind wing. Which makes the plane completely squirelly, the plane will not track straight and it’s all over the place.

So you can’t use a crosswind correction, and you can’t not use a crosswind correction.
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Store.
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
Nope.

I played with these two new parameters, after some documentation review.
I set the numbers to:

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = 1000
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = 15

By setting the max to a high number, the crosswind effect on the ground is more realistic instead of the aircraft darting off the runway even with a light 5 kt. crosswind. These numbers seem to work well on the SR22 and the C172 G1000.

1 Like

Isn’t that because by setting those values, you have REMOVED all cross winds acting on the plane when the plane’s airspeed is below 15 knots … and then when you exceed 15 knots air speed, the Cross wind is instantly applied ?

Hardly REALISTIC ? “Easier” maybe , but not Realistic.

Having no crosswind ground handling is more realistic than the wacky, out of control crosswind effects the last update introduced, which make some fairly normal situations now literally impossible to control.

3 Likes

Then this maybe thus " wacky, out of control crosswind effects the last update introduced", only affects some plane’s flight models ?

For example, the WB-sim C172 Enhancement mod makes the C172 behave quite realistically with any crosswind within its POH crosswind Component limits. (SU11 Beta)

So maybe, after the last update (SU10 ? or SU11 beta) other plane’s flight models need to be altered, to operate correctly with crosswinds ?

Would be interesting to see what changes made the WB-sim one controllable. Perhaps they already removed the crosswind ground effects lol.

My understanding is that these variables are a fudge and an FSX relic to dampen unrealistic crosswind effects when on the ground. Asobo is apparently redoing the ground handling, and their first step was simply removing the FSX fudge factor, which has the consequence of making some of the planes uncontrollable now. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to push that change in the public release instead of just waiting until they were done with ground handling. Don’t have the tenets move in to a remodeled house while you’re still tearing the walls down.

2 Likes

I think the way I set it up is zero effect at 15, ramping up to 100% effect at 1000 (600 kts.) So you get a small effect, but very controllable at typical landing speeds. I think you could play with a lower number than 1000, and maybe change the zero to “zero”.

Removed the Cross wind FUDGES !!

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed = -1000 ; 135 // feet per second, default is 80
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed = -1000 ; 15 // feet per second, default is 5
ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar = 1.0
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar = 1.0

These setting are in the WB-SIM C172, Su11 version, yet to be released, but tested with current SU11 Beta.

Note: These are not the only settings in the Flight Model that affect ground handling

People need to understand that 3PDs also need to include new parameters so any late to the party or no longer supported aircraft are unlikely to see full benefit.

1 Like

Played around with the numbers this morning again. 500 max 0 for zero works pretty well. IRL I would expect some weathervaning on the ground. I did 10, 20 and 30 knots direct crosswind, still controllable with rudder at 30 knots crosswind, minimal control needed at 10 knots.

1 Like

Where do I find/change those parameters?

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\Asobo-aircraft-sr22\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_SR22

the xxxxxxxx’s are my user in the Users folder.

From the OneStore folder you can find the other aircraft. The C172 had the two lines with -1000 for the values, the SR22 didn’t have the two lines, so I added them.

Inside this folder is the flight_model.cfg file. Open it in notepad or wordpad and find the [FLIGHT_TUNING] section. Add or modify the two lines to that section.

It’s always a good idea to save a copy of the original CFG file before you mess with it, just in case.

1 Like

Thank you very much for these settings, Lancair. By adding those lines with max=500 and zero=0 to the model I mostly use (a TB10 modified from Lionheart’s TB21GT), I can now do normal crosswind take-offs and landings!

Brilliant!!

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

pc

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?

Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

This issue is there since the very first version of the game and it happens basically with every aircraft: default, payware or freeware. It’s just more or less evident depending on the aircraft.
To sum it up, it’s extremely difficult to keep control of the aircraft during the takeoff phase or rollout when there’s crosswind, even well within the limits of the aircraft.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Take an aircraft, set the maximum demonstrated crosswind component and try to takeoff. You’ll find that it’s almost impossible to keep the aircraft on the centerline. Same for landing: you can control the aircraft until it’s on the ground, but once you land you’ll see the aircraft wanting to veer off the runway even with the rudder full deflected.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:

Using Saitek X55, but this issue is not relative to peripherals

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

The first release version, don’t know the number anymore and the issue is still there after SU7.

Yep. It is a well known issue and (sarcasm) will maybe be fixed in two or three years from now. For now, go to assisted options and tick rudder support…or whatever it is called. Ah…before I forget it. (sarcasm) The next update (most likely) will make things worse.

One of the challenges in msfs is to find your own solutions for the bugs (more sarcasm).
Happy new year.

13 Likes

I like your optimism :laughing:

My big question is: why there’s so little people complaining about this issue? It’s crystal clear.

14 Likes

Control of the aircraft in the air is completely different than on the ground.

To begin with, “maximum demonstrated crosswind component” does not mean that the aircraft is easy to control with that wind. It means that an experienced test pilot was able to demonstrate control of the aircraft in those conditions. I have no idea what your level of experience IRL is but the suggestion that the plane veers “even with the rudder full deflected”, indicates that your crosswind control experience is not the same as the test pilot.

Maybe the reason “there’s so little people complaining about this issue?”, is that most of us either are not experiencing unrealistic difficulty, or understand that our skill level requires us to avoid those conditions.

I would suggest some You-Tube instruction on crosswind technique and maybe some on theory. (When aircraft are accelerating or decelerating on the ground, there are some extreme physics at play that need to be dealt with.)

1 Like

I’ve been simming since 10 years, I know how to takeoff or land with crosswind. I don’t need youtube videos or IRL experience because here we are talking about an issue which obviously isn’t there in real life.

And I know the MSFS simulation is wrong, because on the ground you go full rudder deflection without keeping the aircraft on the runway: that’s simply wrong.

Many people don’t notice because they don’t know what is crosswind and fly the aircraft with mouse and keyboard, or worse with a controller.

9 Likes

Doesn’t have a problem with crosswinds.

Has a problem with crosswinds.

Amazingly, even those of us “in real life” don’t try to control the aircraft on the ground, in windy conditions, using rudder input alone. Not if we want to stay on the runway.

Your 10 years of simming should have you covered though. I guess the sim must be broken.

I will concede that some aircraft in the sim are a bit squirrelly, maybe even a bit overdone, but with judicious handling and the correct techniques, it is possible to get even those ones to track a centerline.

Good luck.

9 Likes

Can you show me a video of you taking off in MSFS from an airport with the TBM or the C172 with maximum demonstrated crosswind component and possibly with control imput?