Cruise Altitude for Non-Pressurized Aircraft

Yeah, i’d figure that service ceiling would have you (and me) gasping for air in our sims… simulated by breathing through a balloon for a few minutes :wink:

Have a great flight, Captain.

Woof ~Woof

Steiny

Back in my FSX days someone on flightsim.com recommended a max cruise of 10,500 for a 172 depending on distance.

I do not own this model, however, I thought that it simulates different EMB-110: EMB-110P, EMB-110P1 & EMB-110P1K (freighter version of the EMB-110P)
“P” versions are pressurized if I understand properly. Is there a special reason to fly EMB-100 and not an EMB-110P?

There is also one thing to remember when you select the altitude for flying - the SE service ceiling, which is 10’000 feet for EMB-110.

No, the EMB-120 replaced the EMB-110 and was the pressurized model.

SE? Single Engine?

While I’m in the midst of selecting a Flight Instructor, I’ve not yet embarked on my real life schooling.

In a multi-engine aircraft do you set a cruise ceiling for SE? I’d have thought (ignorance, potentially) you’d need to know this value, but if cruising at a higher altitude and had an engine failure, you’d descend to that SE ceiling, no?

EMB 110P2 / 41 - Pressurized version of airlift, 21 seats

SE - yes, single engine

I’m not seeing that as you are.

This statement is the key “ Subsequent developments of the EMB 110 resulted in the EMB 120 Brasilia , longer, with more capacity and with a pressurized cabin”

EDIT: Ah, further down. Right, I see the P2.

Thing is, I’m flying the P (not a P2) variant right now and it is certainly not equipped with a pressurized cabin, nor the freighter modeled after it.

Please, read a bit more on that page:))) There is a list with all modifications, one of them - EMB 110P2 / 41, a Pressurized version of airlift, 21 seats.

Just imagine a bit:)))

Yes, see my edit. I was too hasty in my response.

However, the EMB-110 aircraft NextGen Simulations has modeled are the P1 variant, not the P2.

There is absolutely no pressurization equipment on these aircraft in the sim.

1 Like

Hard to imagine when I’ve got this unsealed window!

2 Likes

Oxygen just has to be made available to passengers above cabin pressure altitudes of 15,000. If they want to pass out from hypoxia they are more than welcome to do so. It will at least make the flight go faster if they are “sleeping”.

All those requirements are in FAR 91.211.

2 Likes

Pressurization is more of a comfort thing, oxygen is for survival… supplemental ox on a small plane is usually just a nasal cannula. Its much lighter and makes more sense than building a full pressure hull in a plane that can barely make 20k feet anyhow.

For instance, b17’s in WWII were not pressurized and flew way up in what is now the ‘flight levels’. Nothing more than masks and cold weather gear. Those guys froze their tails off. But had plenty of oxygen.

Not comfortable, but not lethal to fly like that (till the shooting starts, anyhow).

Just like when doing mountain climbing oxygen will be usefull above 5000 meters of height (15.000ft). But there is no passing out under 7000 meters (21.000ft).

The Piper Seneca has some great and detailed simulated oxygen system that is necessary sometimes for flying over the Rocky Mountains.

1 Like

I’ve been there and to be quite honest it wasn’t needed even though I had the option. Of course I was a lot younger and fitter then and after a few months of climbing at slightly lesser heights I was probably getting used to rarified air.

The first time I flew the Skyvan (more a surprise than planned) I climbed to 15000ft 5 times to drop skydivers. I didn‘t have any oxygen system at that time, only the left seat had, and above around 12-13000 feet I noticed how I became dizzy. I consciously started to take deeper and slower breaths and it became fine immediately. Physically it‘s no problem to stay focused at that altitude IF you are used to it when you do these flights every day but legally you have to use auxilar oxygen, I think above 10000ft in Europe? Could be 12000. Most people, like me, really need it ^^

2 Likes

I used to fly the Piper Navajo/Chieftain (PA31) on ad-hoc charters back in the days. Non pressurized aircraft. As a general rule we used FL70/80/90 or 100 (in europe those are flight levels compared to US which starts FL above 17.000 feet).
As other has stated, the rules say below 10.000 feet no oxygen needed. Between 10-13.000 feet up to 30 minutes or oxygen for crew and 10% of passengers (weird rule😀). Never above 13.000 without oxygen.

1 Like

This is why there aren’t a lot of non-pressurized turbos or turbines in the world, they just don’t make sense. To answer your question: 8-10,000 feet is great for piston aircraft that can get there in a reasonable amount of time. For a Cherokee or a Skyhawk, 10,000 feet doesn’t make a lot of sense because it takes you half the day to get there. But if you have a twinkie with some get up and go (which I’m assuming the Embraer does), 8-10k.

The reason non-pressurized turbos or turbines never caught on is that, legally speaking, you have to jam a cannula up your nose for basically any length of time at 12.5 or above, and it’s very uncomfortable. And that’s just the legality. A lot of people are affected by altitudes much lower than that, particularly at night. And higher altitude is where the turbo or turbine makes sense, because of the higher ground speeds.

1 Like

According EASA flight above 10.000 ft but not exceeding 13.000 ft is allowed but the flight time above 10.000 ft should be limited to 30 minutes. Above 13.000 ft oxygen is required. For commercial operations oxygen is required anytime above 10.000 ft. I assume you are carrying passengers in your EMB110 and the supplemental oxygen system is not really designed to support everyone :joy:. Usually (in Europe) unpressurized aircraft don’t go above 10.000 ft. I have flown a route where a unpressurized L-410 was flying the same route behind us, they never flew above 10.000 ft. I have flown our aircraft unpressurized to maintenance base a couple of times with pressurization problems, never above 10.000 ft.

1 Like

This is what EASA has to say:

Regulations

National regulations for the provision and use of supplemental or emergency oxygen systems are based on the guidance provided in Annex 6 of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS). In general terms, this guidance first differentiates between pressurised and non-pressurised aircraft and then provides specific requirements based on the altitude at which flight is to be conducted. Some of the more salient items found in the ICAO guidance on oxygen are as follows:

• All Aircraft
    • An operator shall ensure that passengers are made familiar with the location and use of: … d) oxygen dispensing equipment, if the provision of oxygen for the use of passengers is prescribed…
  • Non-pressurised Aircraft
    • An aeroplane intended to be operated at flight altitudes at which the atmospheric pressure is less than 700 hPa (see Note 1) in personnel compartments shall be equipped with oxygen storage and dispensing apparatus
    • A flight to be operated at flight altitudes at which the atmospheric pressure in personnel compartments will be less than 700 hPa shall not be commenced unless sufficient stored breathing oxygen is carried to supply: a) all crew members and 10 per cent of the passengers for any period in excess of 30 minutes that the pressure in compartments occupied by them will be between 700 hPa and 620 hPa ; and b) the crew and passengers for any period that the atmospheric pressure in compartments occupied by them will be less than 620 hPa
  • Pressurised Aircraft
    • An aeroplane intended to be operated at flight altitudes at which the atmospheric pressure is less than 376 hPa or which, if operated at flight altitudes at which the atmospheric pressure is more than 376 hPa , cannot descend safely within four minutes to a flight altitude at which the atmospheric pressure is equal to 620 hPa … shall be provided with automatically deployable oxygen equipment. The total number of oxygen dispensing units shall exceed the number of passenger and cabin crew seats by at least 10 per cent.
    • All flight crew members of pressurised aeroplanes operating above an altitude where the atmospheric pressure is less than 376 hPa shall have available at the flight duty station a quick-donning type of oxygen mask which will readily supply oxygen upon demand.

Note 1: Approximate hPa-altitude equivalents: 700 hPa = 10,000’, 620 hPa = 13,000’, 376 hPa = 25,000’

Note 2: National or Regional Authorities use the ICAO guidance as the basis for their regulations. However, these regulations may be more or less restrictive than the SARPS. Consult the appropriate documentation provided by the aircraft State of Registry for specific criteria.

1 Like